Class of 2017 - Hameir Wright (NY) to Washington | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 Hameir Wright (NY) to Washington

Francis03 I apologize if this is mentioned in your pod, or if this has been asked already, but is it a possible scenario for SU to get both Wright and Tucker? While it wouldn't make up for missing out on Green and 99.9% on Diallo, but I'd feel pretty optimistic if we got these two wings to round out the class of 2017, then start going ham on 2018.

Francis03 I apologize if this is mentioned in your pod, or if this has been asked already, but is it a possible scenario for SU to get both Wright and Tucker? While it wouldn't make up for missing out on Green and 99.9% on Diallo, but I'd feel pretty optimistic if we got these two wings to round out the class of 2017, then start going ham on 2018.
I think we can get both because Tucker can play the 2 and 3, while Wright can play the 3 and 4.

I understand why SU set their sights real high for the 2017 class with all these 5 stars, coming off two FFs in 4 years. Imo it was worth the try even if they all slip thru our fingers. But if we wound up with a class of Brisset, Sidibe, Tucker and/or Wright, and a backup pg (either a frosh or a transfer) Cuse is in tremendous shape to make another run at a title. This year and next year should be great

I understand why SU set their sights real high for the 2017 class with all these 5 stars, coming off two FFs in 4 years. Imo it was worth the try even if they all slip thru our fingers. But if we wound up with a class of Brisset, Sidibe, Tucker and/or Wright, and a backup pg (either a frosh or a transfer) Cuse is in tremendous shape to make another run at a title. This year and next year should be great
Getting commitments in the summer/fall is huge because if your class is locked in by November, you can focus 100% of your resources into the next class (2018) instead of chasing 1 or 2 guys who sign late (March/April) who might not qualify/are looking for the best situation for their one and done wish. SU rarely has success with those late signees, except for Thompson.

Getting commitments in the summer/fall is huge because if your class is locked in by November, you can focus 100% of your resources into the next class (2018) instead of chasing 1 or 2 guys who sign late (March/April) who might not qualify/are looking for the best situation for their one and done wish. SU rarely has success with those late signees, except for Thompson.
I trust the coaching staff, they pulled out Gillon, Battle, TT, White all pretty late last year and now this team is loaded, a title contender. They wont need 4 guys late next spring. Prob just 1-2. But i agree w you, it would ve been nice to get a shooter wing and pg early

I trust the coaching staff, they pulled out Gillon, Battle, TT, White all pretty late last year and now this team is loaded, a title contender. They wont need 4 guys late next spring. Prob just 1-2. But i agree w you, it would ve been nice to get a shooter wing and pg early
Yeah but it's not every year a 5th year guy who averages 16.7 points in the Big Ten is going to join the team in August. I wouldn't mind grabbing these guys often, as available, and as upgrades over unknown freshmen, but getting the top 60-top 40 kids locked up in the summer/fall is the primary objective.

Hopefully we have two already , its not a bad start. Now move onto to Tucker and Wright

Yeah but it's not every year a 5th year guy who averages 16.7 points in the Big Ten is going to join the team in August. I wouldn't mind grabbing these guys often, as available, and as upgrades over unknown freshmen, but getting the top 60-top 40 kids locked up in the summer/fall is the primary objective.
The player doesn't even need to be from a power 5, I can't remember what game I was watching tonight but this one guys from Bobby Morris and lighting it up on a good team. 5th year grad students are grown men it doesn't matter where they come from, that's the beauty of getting them for 1 year. They are ready and probably at the peak of their careers. And I'm too lazy to figure out his name, I forgot.

The player doesn't even need to be from a power 5, I can't remember what game I was watching tonight but this one guys from Bobby Morris and lighting it up on a good team. 5th year grad students are grown men it doesn't matter where they come from, that's the beauty of getting them for 1 year. They are ready and probably at the peak of their careers. And I'm too lazy to figure out his name, I forgot.
Its true, whos gonna be better? Gillon this year, or Quade next year? Its a tough call but ill go with Gillon. Where we might wind up really missing a guy like quade imo would be his soph year.

Its true, whos gonna be better? Gillon this year, or Quade next year? Its a tough call but ill go with Gillon. Where we might wind up really missing a guy like quade imo would be his soph year.
Very good point. If you put John Gillon as he is right now, in high school, he'd easily be a top 40 player in the country.

look at UL last year they had 2 grad transfers that were lights out , neither from power 5 schools. Probably would have went far in the tourney if not for the scandal .

look at UL last year they had 2 grad transfers that were lights out , neither from power 5 schools. Probably would have went far in the tourney if not for the scandal .
Not to mention the two guys from ucon last year, they werent P5. Ucon lost those 2 guys and now they suck

Edit sorry wrong, one of the guys was from Seton Hall, maybe that qualifies as P5

Last edited:

Yup. Exactly the scenario I compared this year's new grad transfer additions to. I think those two came from Cleveland St. and Drexel.

I like this kid. Coincidence that he was wearing #44?