Class of 2017 - Hameir Wright (NY) to Washington | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 Hameir Wright (NY) to Washington

I wonder if it is better for our chances that he stays in class of 2018. Unlikely we'd be able to land both Tucker and Wright in the same class, but our odds might increase if they are in back-to-back classes.

Really need to land both. Forwards like that thrive in our system. Toss Brissetget and Moyer into the mix, and we'd be loaded at forward.
I was impressed with his play, inside and out. It looks like he needs to add some bulk to his long frame.

Can't the man celebrate his daughter's win? Family is family, and these types of things only come around once. Maybe he knows something we don't and feels like GMac can handle this?

No, he needs to be like Andy Reid, sleep in the office and neglect his family, then watch his kids have horrible problem after horrible problem. All so he can make an extra appearance at the game of a kid who is nearby and he will visit in person a bunch more times. Stop being so decent.

If anyone isn't familiar with the old school recruiting magazines and newsletters, you'd be surprised how long ago many of these "shill" beat writers were out there for some of the big time schools.
Glad Donna represents...THANK YOU!!!!

Street and Smith. The best ever!

Nothing compared to...

s-l300.jpg

Best recruiting coverage ever.

I live in Irondequoit, so I was following along online. Seemed like a pretty big game.

I've never watched much HS basketball, so I don't have a great feel for how good a top level recruit is compared to a really good HS level player. That being said, Irondequoit's Gerald Drumgoole is a sophomore and has put up a string of good games in the playoffs. Does he strike anyone as someone that could get DI looks?
I'm also from Irondequoit. Thought it was interesting that Irondequoit was so dominant on the way to a state title without any major prospects...

Got a chance to watch Hameir Wright today, and while certainly no expert, thought I'd add a few observations and anecdotes to Donna D's story:

1.) I can see why Wright would like another year to develop at Brewster. Even facially, he is just a kid, and his physique is "willowy" at this point. But that being said, he is not afraid to battle. To wit, he was guarding one of Irondequoit's better players, Gerald Drumgoole, a well-built sophomore who likes to go hard to the hole. At one point during the first half, Drumgoole drove from near the foul line. Wright slid his feet, beat Drumgoole to the spot, and drew hard contact and the charge. Speaking of his defense, he not only showed man skills but handled the back line of the zone when Academy switched out of its base defense. He was able to close out on shooters fairly well (although once he did get sucked into the lane on help defense and was unable to close out in time on a Drumgoole 3). Also, he recovered well to the baseline when his guards "bumped" him down in rotation.
2.) His toughness was also on display offensively. He was able to fight his way through clutching, grabbing and holding to get to the block, and once there, he posted up several times with his back to the basket and finished in traffic. In addition, he exhibited strength and a decent handle when, with about 3:30 to go in the game, he beat his man off the dribble and scored with contact to give Academy an 8-point lead. (That being said, unlike Donna D's article, Wright rarely used his left hand in this contest, and when he tried to explode from the wing with his right hand, he had difficulty turning the corner, one time losing his balance and being called for a travel. I had him for 5 turnovers in the game. At this point, he is better as a "smooth" player than a "dynamic" one.)
3.) As for his shot, it is a feathery one with good extension whether from 3 or 2, and he rises relatively well to get good looks. Only 1 of the 13 shots he took was a bad one, missing everything. The others were all soft with a nice rotation. In some ways, he reminded me of a young Lydon. I could definitely see him playing the 3 in an offense, but he could also play some 4 depending on the back-to-basket skills and physique he develops.
4.) The thing I liked best about Wright was his hustle, and I'm not talking about out-of-control passion here. Two anecdotes: Early in the game, he missed a layup. He battled for the loose ball, saving it to a teammate as he went out of bounds. That teammate missed a short jumper, and somehow Wright was back on the court and there to tip it in for 2. Most impressive. Later in the first half, Wright darted the length of the court to block an Irondequoit transition layup. Play continued the other way, and Wright glided back down the floor in a trailing spot. He then caught a pass at the top of the key and softly dropped in a 3. Those were two plays that definitely spoke to Wright's motor, attitude and ceiling.

No question there is much here to like. In this game, he played with composure and never left the floor. His teammates clearly took their lead from him, especially when Irondequoit made several runs in the late going and things seemed to be going sideways. Obviously, he would be an important Orange addition. My fear is that if and when he goes to Brewster, he will really blow up, and when that happens, we're going to be in a war to try and sign this guy. Probably a pipe dream, but it would be nice if we got a verbal from him before he headed in that direction. Wherever he winds up, he's going to be a player.

So either Wright is the polar opposite of all higly rated recruits of the past 8 years or there is something missing in the story here. I thought it was all about getting to the league as early as possible. A 21 year old is viewed as a used up and empty vessel by the NBA, right? So if he isn't ready, it just means spending another year in college. So he goes after is soph year instead of his freshman year. But by prepping, he eliminates all chance of blowing up and being able to go a year earlier.

The Donna article says: "The 6-foot-8 wing right now resides in the Class of 2017, but has indicated he wants to spend a year in prep school to build his body, hone his basketball skills and perhaps attract the attention of more college basketball programs."

But he has offers from the likes of Syracuse, Michigan State, Villanova, etc. So I immediately have to ask: who does UK already have at his position for 17? He is clearly wanting offers from schools he doesn't have them from yet. That would be UK and Duke. Which means he will not reclass and he will not come to SU unless those other two don't offer. This sounds extraordinarily Quade Green like. Will we blame Gerry again?

With offers from Syracuse, Nova, and Michigan St (and I'm sure many more would follow if he reclassified) and he still wants to stay in school to attract more attention...

Sadly, this tells me he's not coming to Syracuse. He's looking at UK or Duke... we're not his choice. ☹️

So either Wright is the polar opposite of all higly rated recruits of the past 8 years or there is something missing in the story here. I thought it was all about getting to the league as early as possible. A 21 year old is viewed as a used up and empty vessel by the NBA, right? So if he isn't ready, it just means spending another year in college. So he goes after is soph year instead of his freshman year. But by prepping, he eliminates all chance of blowing up and being able to go a year earlier.

The Donna article says: "The 6-foot-8 wing right now resides in the Class of 2017, but has indicated he wants to spend a year in prep school to build his body, hone his basketball skills and perhaps attract the attention of more college basketball programs."

But he has offers from the likes of Syracuse, Michigan State, Villanova, etc. So I immediately have to ask: who does UK already have at his position for 17? He is clearly wanting offers from schools he doesn't have them from yet. That would be UK and Duke. Which means he will not reclass and he will not come to SU unless those other two don't offer. This sounds extraordinarily Quade Green like. Will we blame Gerry again?
So true .

That, and Big East Briefs
add a few more Future Stars, Hoop Scoop, Prep Stars, Ridell's Rounball, etc. I have hundreds of these boxed up. Figure when I retire, I pull them out and evaluate all the "can't miss" predictions...lol

Unfortunately this is correct. Just heard the same.

Well, if Red is on the road as reported this seems like a brilliant move. JB can be visible at the event ostensibly there as a parent watching his daughter, GMAC is there a an SU representative, Red is elsewhere as an SU representative and Syracuse is in compliance with the NCAA sanction of no more than two coaches out recruiting.

The big difference with him and a lot of high major DI prospects is he is graduating high school at 17 years old. Almost unheard of in today's hoops world. Alot of high DI guys are held back/start late/fail a grade and are entering college at 19. Some even turn 20 during their freshman year.

That age difference can be huge in maturity and physical development. It's also why the AAU circuit is moving toward grade based play vs. age play at the higher levels.

I was shocked by the amount of 8th graders being held back in order to attempt to gain a competitive edge on the courts. Doesn't always work out but it's real.

With offers from Syracuse, Nova, and Michigan St (and I'm sure many more would follow if he reclassified) and he still wants to stay in school to attract more attention...

Sadly, this tells me he's not coming to Syracuse. He's looking at UK or Duke... we're not his choice. ☹️
Where do you come up this scenario??

Where do you come up this scenario??

Out of his head. He has no idea. Why aren't we his choice? Because he hasn't picked us yet? That is ridiculous. He just found out who his coach will be,

I think it was what Houston pointed out in his post re: Donna's article. He wants to prep for, among other reasons, to "perhaps attract the attention of more basketball programs." He already has offers from Syracuse, Nova, and Sparty. Who else is he looking for? Doubt Boston College or NC State. Doesn't mean anything... yet.

I think it was what Houston pointed out in his post re: Donna's article. He wants to prep for, among other reasons, to "perhaps attract the attention of more basketball programs." He already has offers from Syracuse, Nova, and Sparty. Who else is he looking for? Doubt Boston College or NC State. Doesn't mean anything... yet.

Well, further down he states "I'm not really waiting on any other offers," he said. "The schools that have offered me are pretty much as high as you can get." Taken at face value he has his list and he wants to take his time.