Handchecking | Syracusefan.com

Handchecking

hplare

Skilled observer of photographs
I think I missed when it became legal again. We are certainly getting killed by it. Guy was all over Battle the whole game and at one point was shoving him with a forearm. Probably wouldn't help, but be nice to see JB complaining a bit more.

I think I missed when it became legal again. We are certainly getting killed by it. Guy was all over Battle the whole game and at one point was shoving him with a forearm. Probably wouldn't help, but be nice to see JB complaining a bit more.

Agree with this. I think JB should be t'd up and I think some of the calls thereafter would go our way.

Exhibit A why the NBA is light years better. The freedom to the offensive player is how it should be. You want to gorilla ball go play in the street. UvA was hand checking and arm barring like crazy with nothing ever called. College hoops is a joke nowadays...

Hand checking became legal again at exactly the same time that we lost the sport of basketball. This is THE reason that the college game is now unwatchable, especially SU related, although I don't think its our fault. We may be suffering from it as much as any team, though. Imagine if there were no hand checking. You can do it if you try. What channel are the no hand checking college games on? That might be fun.

Hand checking became legal again at exactly the same time that we lost the sport of basketball. This is THE reason that the college game is now unwatchable, especially SU related, although I don't think its our fault. We may be suffering from it as much as any team, though. Imagine if there were no hand checking. You can do it if you try. What channel are the no hand checking college games on? That might be fun.

College games are given to the defense, pro to the offense. Hand checking, secondary "defender" taking the charge. Awful stuff.

Agree with everyone. Not that it would've made a bit of difference, but it's infuriating to see the defender extend his arm into Frank's chest as he tries to plod around the corner only to have Frank earn a whistle for a much more subtle bump to the secondary defender when he gets into the lane.

Ugly sport, so disappointing to see what it's become.

I think this is on the coaches. I think that a game should be looked at closely, after the game is over, by a committee. If the committee determines that the players were likely instructed to hand check, the coach watches the next game on tv. Referees seem to be powerless during the game, unfortunately. Its too bad this would not fix the game in question, but at least coaches would get the message. Too many coaches gaming the system. But only the successful ones. Nice guys finish last. I think Boeheim is the most successful coach not to game the system. That is why we like him, or at least some of us.

I think this is on the coaches. I think that a game should be looked at closely, after the game is over, by a committee. If the committee determines that the players were likely instructed to hand check, the coach watches the next game on tv. Referees seem to be powerless during the game, unfortunately. Its too bad this would not fix the game in question, but at least coaches would get the message. Too many coaches gaming the system. But only the successful ones. Nice guys finish last. I think Boeheim is the most successful coach not to game the system. That is why we like him, or at least some of us.

I agree with this. Some posters might say you're nuts, but there's something to this claim. Putting aside the NCAA and off-court stuff, Boeheim coaches in an admirable way: other than Fab Melo, he never uses floppers; he always stays within the coaching box; SU doesn't excessively handcheck, undercut, rely on moving screens (well...not since Keita graduated), or play with undue physicality.

Maybe this doesn't always help wring every win out of his teams, but I respect Boeheim's approach to the game.

Rick Pitino is watching more tv and Jamie Dixon is not muddying Pitt basketball anymore. That's all the good news I have to report, at this time.

I agree with this. Some posters might say you're nuts, but there's something to this claim. Putting aside the NCAA and off-court stuff, Boeheim coaches in an admirable way: other than Fab Melo, he never uses floppers; he always stays within the coaching box; SU doesn't excessively handcheck, undercut, rely on moving screens (well...not since Keita graduated), or play with undue physicality.

Maybe this doesn't always help wring every win out of his teams, but I respect Boeheim's approach to the game.

It's hard to hand check a guy when you're not really guarding anyone one on one.

It's hard to hand check a guy when you're not really guarding anyone one on one.

I mean, there's less time to do it when you don't have a man on each offensive player at all times, but Boeheim doesn't coach the guys to use their hands when they're on the ball. This year's team in particular I think hasn't gotten enough credit for sliding feet and using bodies to cut off the dribble-drive rather than hand-checking (Battle and Dolezaj are especially good at this).

Ah, knew a handchecking post would show itself eventually. Of COURSE...it’s the reason for our ball handling issues and lack of speed woes. Of course. Guy creates SO many problems for other teams! Other backcourts struggle with Georgia Tech too right?! Uh, no.

Ah, knew a handchecking post would show itself eventually. Of COURSE...it’s the reason for our ball handling issues and lack of speed woes. Of course. Guy creates SO many problems for other teams! Other backcourts struggle with Georgia Tech too right?! Uh, no.
But it is a big reason we don't do well in rock fights, through the years.

But it is a big reason we don't do well in rock fights, through the years.

I don’t buy that at all. We don’t have enough true ballhandlers often. Or enough of them. Louisville, UVA, WVU, Pitt (Dixon) don’t bother PLENTY of teams’ guards.

It would definitely help I think. It drives me nuts but I don't think it will ever change.

College games are given to the defense, pro to the offense. Hand checking, secondary "defender" taking the charge. Awful stuff.
College bball wants the coaches (who are there year after year) to be the stars. NBA wants the players

Last edited:
Isn't this basically balanced out by how often Frank, & to a slightly lesser extent Tyus & O'Shae, are allowed to extend a stiff arm into their defender without being called? Frank could easily be called for 3 offensive fouls per game. He should've absolutely been called late in the 2nd half tonight but had just picked up 2 quick ones on D so the ref let him slide.

Isn't this basically balanced out by how often Frank, & to a slightly lesser extent Tyus & O'Shae, are allowed to extend a stiff arm into their defender without being called? Frank could easily be called for 3 offensive fouls per game. He should've absolutely been called late in the 2nd half tonight but had just picked up 2 quick ones on D so the ref let him slide.

It was pretty funny tonight as the broadcast team puzzled over why Tyus didn't get an "and 1" on a drive in the lane since his jersey had been hand-clutched, and determined it was probably because he had pushed off first.

It was pretty funny tonight as the broadcast team puzzled over why Tyus didn't get an "and 1" on a drive in the line since his jersey had been hand-clutched, and determined it was probably because he had pushed off first.

That was Tyus. Pretty sure he did push off first. Coaches have GOT to get them to stop doing that. Both he and Frank are habitual with it.

The reffing has fallen back off a cliff this season (after they had seemingly fixed some stuff last season and scoring finally went up). Now they’re calling way too many charges again (instead of blocks) and allowing hand checking and it’s affecting offensive flow. But thank god they’re cracking down on illegal screens (sarcasm alert). Gag.

Last edited:
You’re wrong. You are allowed to extend your arm to protect the ball and your body, as long as you don’t push it into a defenders’s body. Again, rules should favor the offense over the defense.

You’re wrong. You are allowed to extend your arm to protect the ball and your body, as long as you don’t push it into a defenders’s body. Again, rules should favor the offense over the defense.
I'm well aware of the rule. Are you actually saying that Frank, Battle, & O'Shae don't often push their off arm into the defender's body? That's simply not factual. They each do so to create separation on a regular basis, Frank especially & often in the open court. Battle & O'Shae usually save it for drives.

This might be stupid and juvenile (two of my specialties) but if I were JB, I would resort to counting the fouls per possession. Sometimes it seems like these defenders are allowed to hack, grabbed, and invade our players space all game with no repurcussion.

This might be stupid and juvenile (two of my specialties) but if I were JB, I would resort to counting the fouls per possession. Sometimes it seems like these defenders are allowed to hack, grabbed, and invade our players space all game with no repurcussion.

Honestly I don’t think Boeheim or any coach is worried about this stuff to this degree. Bigger fish to fry. It’s magnified with ballhandling woes as well. Georgia Tech and Pitt’s perimeter D are usually discarded like a piece of lint on a shirt by other teams’ guards/PGs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom