Handchecking | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Handchecking

I have zero confidence in officials cleaning up the game. It's suppose to be illegal to use your forearm, yet guys use it every play. Two out of the last 3 title games have arguably been decided by the officials.

I'm well aware of the rule. Are you actually saying that Frank, Battle, & O'Shae don't often push their off arm into the defender's body? That's simply not factual. They each do so to create separation on a regular basis, Frank especially & often in the open court. Battle & O'Shae usually save it for drives.
And they've been called for it plenty. You must not be in the game threads, when they get called for it, any given poster will write, well (insert player here), gets called for that at least once a game. Although admittedly I don't remember anyone getting called for it last night. I know I expect Battle to be called for it once a game.

Ah, knew a handchecking post would show itself eventually. Of COURSE...it’s the reason for our ball handling issues and lack of speed woes. Of course. Guy creates SO many problems for other teams! Other backcourts struggle with Georgia Tech too right?! Uh, no.

No one in this thread has said anything you're insinuating. The hand checking has been an issue for college basketball going on 10+ years. Officiating favoring the defense has been a 10+ year problem in college basketball. It has very little to do with Syracuse being on the wrong side of mediocre for much of the last four years, but it does make watching games less exciting.

Too often it appears that I see refs officiate dependent on a team's defensive style, particularly in conference play. If a team is known as a pressing m2m 'in your face' defensive team they appear to allow them more contact than a less aggressive pick 'em up after half court m2m style or a zone defense. They either consciously or subconsciously accept a team's physicality as acceptable if it's a signature of their defense. You can't depend the way games are called that there's a defense that better protects players from fouling.If you look at most box scores, regardless of the competing team's defense, officials seem to keep the number of fouls called pretty even regardless of a team's physical defensive style. When they call them - whether on shots vs away from the basket fouls etc, affecting the number of free throws can differ but the number of fouls are usually pretty equal. It sometimes seems to catch up with certain teams in tournament play and away from conference officials.

If the defense is going to execute the Derek Harper you should be allowed to push off a bit.

Yeah, that's the trouble. I don't agree with the idea that two wrongs make a right. In this instance, two wrongs make a dogs--- game out of what used to be a great sport.

But our guards know they're going to be hit with impunity all game long. If they don't use their forearms to protect the ball and ward off defenders, we wouldn't have any offense at all. So something's gotta give.

(My vote is to call every bit of contact on both sides -- and don't give me that nonsense about "everybody's gonna foul out," they're adaptable humans and will adjust by halftime and play looser -- but nobody cares about my vote.)

Too often it appears that I see refs officiate dependent on a team's defensive style, particularly in conference play. If a team is known as a pressing m2m 'in your face' defensive team they appear to allow them more contact than a less aggressive pick 'em up after half court m2m style or a zone defense. They either consciously or subconsciously accept a team's physicality as acceptable if it's a signature of their defense. You can't depend the way games are called that there's a defense that better protects players from fouling.If you look at most box scores, regardless of the competing team's defense, officials seem to keep the number of fouls called pretty even regardless of a team's physical defensive style. When they call them - whether on shots vs away from the basket fouls etc, affecting the number of free throws can differ but the number of fouls are usually pretty equal. It sometimes seems to catch up with certain teams in tournament play and away from conference officials.
Well put, and the definition of unfair.

Agree! But that said does anyone think that the UVA game and Louisville game were refereed even remotely similarly? This is not to suggest it benefited one team or the other, just that it seemed like the two games were played under different rules.

And they've been called for it plenty. You must not be in the game threads, when they get called for it, any given poster will write, well (insert player here), gets called for that at least once a game. Although admittedly I don't remember anyone getting called for it last night. I know I expect Battle to be called for it once a game.
I agree, they have each been called for it plenty of times. I also believe that Frank specifically gets called for it roughly 1/4 of the times he's guilty. I'm in no way a "Frank hater", I'm actually quite surprised by/pleased with the progress he's made this year & expect an All-ACC senior year from him, but I find myself saying "that should've been an offensive foul" on him multiple times per game. Dont get me wrong, I'm glad when he gets away with it but won't be shocked if/when he gets called & it costs us in a late-game situation....at which point many on this board will blame the refs as if he hasn't gotten away with it all year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom