Hank Haney Comments | Syracusefan.com

Hank Haney Comments

upperdeck

Living Legend
Now I didnt hear the whole interview, but it was basically when asked who would win the next big LPGA event and he said he doesnt really follow it that close to know the names but thought one of the Koreans would win.

Probably about a 95% chance that will be true

He is getting ripped for racially insensitive comments . Were They?

If he had been asked who would win the US Open and said an American would he be getting ripped? I get that American is not considered a Race but Asian is, but he said Korean not Asian from what I read so is it really a racial statement?

Perhaps more was said then what I read about it?

Haney has been suspended by the Golf Channel. As a host on the Golf Channel he should be 100% behind all of the golfers, male or female. Some of it is no different than any of the basketball talking heads saying that they couldn't name five WNBA players but he took it a step further. Maybe he should use his suspension time and meet up with some of the top LPGA golfers (American and Asian),
Hank Haney suspended from PGA Tour Radio following controversial comments (UPDATE) - Golf Digest

Haney has been suspended by the Golf Channel. As a host on the Golf Channel he should be 100% behind all of the golfers, male or female. Some of it is no different than any of the basketball talking heads saying that they couldn't name five WNBA players but he took it a step further. Maybe he should use his suspension time and meet up with some of the top LPGA golfers (American and Asian),
Hank Haney suspended from PGA Tour Radio following controversial comments (UPDATE) - Golf Digest

Why is that? If he's a PGA commentator, why would he obliged to know the LPGA? Or vice versa? If contractually he's supposed to, that's one thing, but otherwise, why?

Why is that? If he's a PGA commentator, why would he obliged to know the LPGA? Or vice versa? If contractually he's supposed to, that's one thing, but otherwise, why?
Did you read the entire Golf Digest link I posted. Why he was suspended. He doesn't have the same views as the PGA and Sirius XM. If he wants back on the radio, he will probably need to do more than a simple apology.

Did you read the entire Golf Digest link I posted. Why he was suspended. He doesn't have the same views as the PGA and Sirius XM. If he wants back on the radio, he will probably need to do more than a simple apology.

No, didn't read it - just going off the whole bit about being knowledgeable about the LPGA if you're a PGA guy. I was just curious - not pretending to know much about it. I just can't think of a reason why the commentators would be expected to overlap - I would expect they do, but I wouldn't think it's a necessity.

I just keep thinking about Iditarod, where they might say, "one of the Norwegians will win" if they were particularly strong and the rest of the field is mostly all American (Alaskans). Zero people would care about that. Zero. Even if it was a hugely popular event, nobody would find it mildly offensive.

Not quite sure what I think of saying "Koreans" just based off the OPs post. I guess I could NOT be lazy and read the article though. :)

I don't care enough about golf to read though so I'll shut up! :)

He didn't say it very nicely, but I think Haney's point about the Korean dominance is a valid one. All credit to them, but It's hard to get into women's golf as a US fan when the Asian golfers win so much and it's hard to get to know their personalities when they often don't speak English. At least some American women were in contention for part of today before they folded down the stretch.

Check out his latest tweet. Would you give him his job back?
Doubling down (especially the second tweet above) on the original statement that cause the firestorm is probably not the best way to get your job back. :rolleyes:

he was honest.. doesnt follow the womans game, doesnt know the names that well, but he knows the koreans dominate and most of them are named Lee.. its actulally pretty funny that someone name Lee changes the name to Lee6 to stand out a bit.. Thats almost exactly what his point is..

I also agree that if he said and American was going to win next weeks US Open no one bats an eye..

The Womans game has issues the American girls dont stand out so it has very little marketing.. They are very good and still its hard to watch them roll woods onto every green..

his best move would have been to pull a Jeter, Jordan, Woods move and say nothing

his best move would have been to pull a Jeter, Jordan, Woods move and say nothing
Many people need to have a twitter filter that delays their post for 30 minutes so they can think about the consequences.

I wonder if the radio gig means anything to him. It can’t be a very significant revenue generator. So he may be fine with speaking out at this point.

ive met Hank. His comments and subsequent responses represent exactly who he seems to be from my limited interactions.

Hmm... this is an absolute nothing. Women's pro gold is dominated by players from Korea / Korean descent.
If someone asked me who would win a marathon, I'd say probably an Ethiopian. If there were a very common Ethiopian surname that was aware of, I'd say that name.

outrage culture at is finest. I bet Koreans are completely unoffended by the fact they're being stereotyped as great golfers.

Hmm... this is an absolute nothing. Women's pro gold is dominated by players from Korea / Korean descent.
If someone asked me who would win a marathon, I'd say probably an Ethiopian. If there were a very common Ethiopian surname that was aware of, I'd say that name.

outrage culture at is finest. I bet Koreans are completely unoffended by the fact they're being stereotyped as great golfers.
I agree and I actually thought his glass houses response to Tiger was also right on.

I think the ONLY qualifier is that this is PGA Tour radio, so they are probably more protective of there brand. If Mad Dog or Cowherd or Francesa, etc... said this people would either chuckle or ignore it. They are insulated b/c they are supposed to be opinionated and/or controversial.
That said, I can totally see Barkley making a similarly sexist joke about the WNBA and getting away scot free.

I think the ONLY qualifier is that this is PGA Tour radio, so they are probably more protective of there brand. If Mad Dog or Cowherd or Francesa, etc... said this people would either chuckle or ignore it. They are insulated b/c they are supposed to be opinionated and/or controversial.
That said, I can totally see Barkley making a similarly s e xist joke about the WNBA and getting away scot free.

Ironic that you use the term scot free in this thread .. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom