Happy Bobby Bonilla Day | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Happy Bobby Bonilla Day

WHO was his agent? Brilliant

I am not certain about this, but didn't the Wilpons push for this deal and not the player's representation?

They were bringing in such Madoff returns that they were happy to kick the compensation down the road and invest their money wisely in the short term.

I am not certain about this, but didn't the Wilpons push for this deal and not the player's representation?

They were bringing in such Madoff returns that they were happy to kick the compensation down the road and invest their money wisely in the short term.
Yes.

Last weekend CBS News did a story about it. The agent seems to take credit.

As much as the Mets are a laughingstock, seems to me that The Agent Who Doesn't Understand The Time Value of Money could've done better by his clients here.
Really? I think these deals are incredible. They're the ultimate insurance against a dude being trash with finances.

Really? I think these deals are incredible. They're the ultimate insurance against a dude being trash with finances.

I wonder how the agent's compensation is structured for these deferred comp deals.

For the client, it seems like a patronizing take. (Don't get me wrong, my fandom rests on a solid foundation of being patronizing. Athletes, by and large, are kind of dumb and profligate.) But it seems to me like good financial counsel with the money up front would put these guys into a way better position in 2035 than delayed comp.

I wonder how the agent's compensation is structured for these deferred comp deals.

For the client, it seems like a patronizing take. (Don't get me wrong, my fandom rests on a solid foundation of being patronizing. Athletes, by and large, are kind of dumb and profligate.) But it seems to me like good financial counsel with the money up front would put these guys into a way better position in 2035 than delayed comp.
You're almost certainly right on that.

I think the thinking is that at a certain point a contract hits a tipping point value where it's high enough that it shouldn't matter regardless, but juuuuuuuust in case the dude completely squanders his player earnings everyone knows they have some cash coming in every year.

I think Ichiro is getting $100,000 a year or something like that from the Mariners until he's 80.

You're almost certainly right on that.

I think the thinking is that at a certain point a contract hits a tipping point value where it's high enough that it shouldn't matter regardless, but juuuuuuuust in case the dude completely squanders his player earnings everyone knows they have some cash coming in every year.

I think Ichiro is getting $100,000 a year or something like that from the Mariners until he's 80.

Well if Ichiro does it...

He looks like he'd be good at math.

I disagree. It’s like he got the golden goose egg pension. Bobby B is probably selling Aflac insurance door to door by now if not for his agent.

Escobar with 3HR in three games. About time.

Bonilla is also getting $500K from the Orioles each year until 2029. I'd love to have this type of deal and have a pension for most of my life.

The real funny thing is the Wilpons were so hot to trot on these deals since they were making more from Madoff than the interest rate on the deferred comp.

I love apparel like this. Some dude's going to get that hat, wear it a bunch, it'll make sense to nobody, and somewhere along the way he's going to meet the eyes of someone in public they don't know that gets the reference. They'll nod, maybe give a knowing smirk to each other, and in that perfect moment the existence of everything in the universe is justified.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom