Has anyone heard this comment attributed to GMAC on Cooney? | Syracusefan.com

Has anyone heard this comment attributed to GMAC on Cooney?

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
"He's the best shooter I've ever seen at SU." A friend said he heard that GMAC said that somewhere.

Gerry wasn't alive when Kid Kohls was playing...
Or Jimmy Lee. True story, I was golfing at Bellevue when I ran into JL. We had been having a debate on the old board about the greatest shooter in SU history. I asked Jimmy who he thought was the greatest shooter, without hesitation he said, "Me!" That was it, "Me" and a confident smile. Loved his honesty, there is a very good argument in his favor too.

Gerry wasn't alive when Kid Kohls was playing...

Completely agree. Anyone that say him game after game has to know he was such a dead eye and IMO, easily the best shooter all time at U. If we had the 3 point line, he may have averaged near 30ppg.

one thing we def know the greatest shooter wasnt gmac, but he showed up in crunch time.

Here we go. Way to get a shot in on one of our greatest players and one of our best shooters. good fan

Reminds me about the story about Mickey Mantle. Some reporter asked him to comment on some player's salary negotiations and demands. The conversation turned to what Mickey would ask for. He said that he would sit down with George and say: "Mr. Steinbrenner, we are about to become partners."

Here we go. Way to get a shot in on one of our greatest players and one of our best shooters. good fan
id be the first to rip into albanycuse today (bc of his icon) but i dont think he was ripping into gmac, percentage wise it def wasnt gmac..that doesnt mean he wasnt more clutch then anyone i can remember here, and without him we dont win the nc and many many other games

DNic his Sr. year was as good a shooter as I have seen at SU.
the game he has senior year against st johns..second half i believe he made 8 straight shots..4 or 5 of them 3's was one of the most impressive individual highlights i have seen at the dome

Kid Kohls was a great shooter. Wow I'm dating myself. It was before the 3-pt line and all his shots would have been behind the line. I think he averaged 22 his senior year and with line might have been over 30.

Completely agree. Anyone that say him game after game has to know he was such a dead eye and IMO, easily the best shooter all time at U. If we had the 3 point line, he may have averaged near 30ppg.

The Kid went over 30 pts eleven times during his senior year...if he'd had the arc, who knows what he would have done. I just remember him taking most of his shots from a distance approximating Comstock Ave
And Dan, you're right; a case can be made for Jimmy Lee...didn't he shoot almost 50% or some ungodly number his senior year? From the backcourt too.

My gut recollection, however, has always been that the Kid was the greatest.

If Cooney is anything like Gerry says he is, who knows...maybe Kohls and Lee might get a run for their money over the next four years. That would be something to see.

It was a shot at g-mac. Otherwise you say, greatest shooters, well g-mac at crunch time. That gets the message across. Great shooter at crunch time. Otherwise, not so much.

Although Jimmy Lee was a great shooter, Greg Kohls shot just as well and had greater range.

Kid Kohls was a great shooter. Wow I'm dating myself. It was before the 3-pt line and all his shots would have been behind the line. I think he averaged 22 his senior year and with line might have been over 30.

Just looked it up...26.7 ppg his senior year

Just looked it up...26.7 ppg his senior year

And like you said, everything he shot was from downtown I hardly ever remember him driving to the basket, scoring on fast breaks, using pull up jumpers or even getting to the FT line a lot. I've seen every kid since the early 60's like you and a few others here, and I would vote Kohls all day long.26.7 his senior year? Add 10pg if there had been a 3 pt line.

And like you said, everything he shot was from downtown I hardly ever remember him driving to the basket, scoring on fast breaks, using pull up jumpers or even getting to the FT line a lot. I've seen every kid since the early 60's like you and a few others here, and I would vote Kohls all day long.26.7 his senior year? Add 10pg if there had been a 3 pt line.
that equals 10 3's a game... hmmmm

that equals 10 3's a game... hmmmm

I'm betting of his 27ppg, 20 of them came on jumpers from 3 point land. His shots were all from looooong range.

DNic his Sr. year was as good a shooter as I have seen at SU.

I agree, he made some really sick shots. Always loved Nichols.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom