Has anyone heard this comment attributed to GMAC on Cooney? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Has anyone heard this comment attributed to GMAC on Cooney?

If you had seen him, you would be a believer.

Not to make The Kid out to be some sort of Bill Brasky super-player, but let's take a realistic look at what he'd have done had the arc been in existance.

He averaged 26.7 ppg. He was also an 86% FT shooter who got to the line a lot., and averaged 7.9 ppg from the charity stripe. So that takes us down to 18.8 pts from the field, which is 9-10 FG's per game. Let's say that half of those were from long range and anybody who saw The Kid play knows that number is conservative. So you add 4-5 ppg if the arc had existed and Kohls would have averaged somewhere in the neighborhood 31-32 ppg and probably a point higher than that

Not to make The Kid out to be some sort of Bill Brasky super-player, but let's take a realistic look at what he'd have done had the arc been in existance.

He averaged 26.7 ppg. He was also an 86% FT shooter who got to the line a lot., and averaged 7.9 ppg from the charity stripe. So that takes us down to 18.8 pts from the field, which is 9-10 FG's per game. Let's say that half of those were from long range and anybody who saw The Kid play knows that number is conservative. So you add 4-5 ppg if the arc had existed and Kohls would have averaged somewhere in the neighborhood 31-32 ppg and probably a point higher than that

Had forgotten he got to the FT line that much. So my estimates are a bit high. Still, the best shooter ever here.

Had forgotten he got to the FT line that much. So my estimates are a bit high. Still, the best shooter ever here.

Yep best shooter ever

Even if your estimate was high, low 30's ppg is pretty f-ing incredible. Sure, he wasn't facing BE (or ACC) defenses, but that would have only affected the ppg, not the accuracy

did AO even attempt a jump shot in his career
The farest I remember AO shooting a non-FT was his freshmen year. He was only a few feet from the basket but since he was laying on his back, the ball had to have traveled farther than any shot he took after that.

But you don't Know that. If the 3 point line had existed, then opponents would probably have to extended their defense. Yeah, the defense would have been entirely different. There's no predicting what the outcome would have been. I kid. I kid.

not even close Kid is the best shooter to ever wear orange

According to youtube it's Nick Resavy... getting back to Cooney, I really hope Boeheim doesn't get stubborn here. Coach being coach, there is absolutely no way I see this kid getting any type of quality minutes. IF he is an awe-inspiring individual, then fine, play the young man. But if the idea is to basically give him Mookie's minutes, just redshirt the kid. He is not the kind of physical specimen that is likely to be leaving early anyway, so just ask yourself, would you rather have Andy Rautins circa 2005, or Andy Rautins circa 2009???? I know coach doesn't use RS for developmental reasons, but if he is really impressing then that is a sweet stroke that you will never get tired of. So get as much as you possibly can out of it.

Kinda hard to consider cooney the best shooter ever at SU when he hasnt even played a minute yet alone a season or four. Matter a fact its kind of foolish as of right now.

Remember that this thread started out with GMac saying that Cooney was the best he had ever seen. Kid is only a historical basketball figure to GMac.

But you don't Know that. If the 3 point line had existed, then opponents would probably have to extended their defense. Yeah, the defense would have been entirely different. There's no predicting what the outcome would have been. I kid. I kid.

I think I smell a Toledo football reference ;)

I apologize for taking this discussion in a slightly different direction.
Kohls was a great shooter, no question. But the early 70's was the height of the free-wheeling, tavern-league era (Igor inspired me). I couldn't imagine Kohls shooting lights out with impunity in the era of Big East pressure defenses.

I apologize for taking this discussion in a slightly different direction.
Kohls was a great shooter, no question. But the early 70's was the height of the free-wheeling, tavern-league era (Igor inspired me). I couldn't imagine Kohls shooting lights out with impunity in the era of Big East pressure defenses.
I watched him play and he had a very quick release, got to the line (knew how to draw fouls), but the point is he shot from 25 feet out. Pressure defenses or not he would have scored and he was the featured scorer so other teams did try to isolate on him. All that said, personally I vote for George Hicker slightly over Kohls.

I watched the Kid at Manley. Fans should not forget that he was also dynamite running the fast break when he was paired with Sweet D. They were lightning quick. This tends to get lost due to his downtown shooting. If I can believe what the quarterback of the football team during Kohl's junior year told me during Kohl's senior year, the team did not allow the Kid to take as many shots as he should have. They were capping his number of touches. There was resentment on the team.

Greg Monroe had a good senior season shooting the 3, over 43%, and who knows what Matt Roe might have done if he had played his senior year? His 3 year avg was 43%.

Never saw Kohls.
Just heard about the legend.
I'd rank the shooters behind Kohls as:

Jimmy Lee
Marty Headd
Greg Monroe
Hal Cohen
G-Mac
Andy Rautins
Moten
Nichols
Raf Addison (who was deadly from the side of the key. Probably would not have been 3-point land).

I may be overrating G-Mac...but no one hit a greater number of big shots.

that equals 10 3's a game... hmmmm

Kid Kohls in his senior year was 263 for 610 from the field (43.1) and 222 of 257 from the foul line, (86.3%). My recollection is that he was an outside gunner with very good range, (I'm not sure it was quite GMAC's), but that he would take an open shot wherever he could get it and also scored off the fast break. You might be surprized how often he went to the line, 86 more times than anyone on the team. Scoop Jardine led last year's team with 371 field goal attempts, inclduing 157 three point attempts and Kris Joseph led in free throw attempts with 180. I recall that there were more free throws taken in those days, (1971-72), because the rules didn't change during the course of the game. You "into the one and ones" from the opening tip. The 1971-72 team took exactly one more shot than last year's team: 1984 vs. 1983 but only played 28 games vs. 35 for alst eyar's team. It was more of a "run and gun" game then. That SU team scored 87.3 ppg and gave up 81.3. Last year it was 73.4-63.3. Frankly, basketball was more fun to watch in the old days at Manley than it is these days in the Dome.

Kohls might have attempted 300 of what would now be three pointers that year, probably not alot more than that. I'll guess he made 120 of them. (Jardine made 56). He scored 748 points, which would 868 if he made 120 would-be three pointers. Of course he might have had fewer free throws, perhaps averaging 6 a game intsead of 9. 6 x 28 is 168, which is 89 less than 258. 89 x .868 = 77 fewer points from the free thow line. I'll guess he would ahve scored about 800 points under modern rules or 28.6 per game, (which is what Dave Bing scored in his senior year but that's another subject). But I doubt Kohl's role would be the same on an modern SU team where he would be one of several scoring options and would be expecxted to bulk up more and play some defense. He probably wouldn't even start now.

But he sure could shoot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom