Has there ever been this much talent in one SU game? | Syracusefan.com

Has there ever been this much talent in one SU game?

Vshukla

Walk On
I was watching a 1990 SU-Gtown game the other day and I realized something interesting.

Between DC, Mourning, Owens and Mutombo there were players who were drafted #1, #2, #3 and #4 in the NBA draft (albeit in different years). That SU team also had two reserves who were drafted in the first round (Dave Johnson and Leron Ellis). There may have been additional GT players who were first round draft choices but I didn’t make the effort to check since I hate GTown.

I wonder (and realize it would be extremely difficult to check) if there was ever that many highly drafted players in an SU game?

I was watching a 1990 SU-Gtown game the other day and I realized something interesting.

Between DC, Mourning, Owens and Mutombo there were players who were drafted #1, #2, #3 and #4 in the NBA draft (albeit in different years). That SU team also had two reserves who were drafted in the first round (Dave Johnson and Leron Ellis). There may have been additional GT players who were first round draft choices but I didn’t make the effort to check since I hate GTown.

I wonder (and realize it would be extremely difficult to check) if there was ever that many highly drafted players in an SU game?
Don't forget Kenny Anderson, who went #2 overall in the 1991 NBA Draft.
Oh wait, he was supposed to be in that game before he got paid by Bobby Cremins.
Oh my, what could have been.

This was the epitome of the Big East Beast dominance of NCAA basketball

That SU team also had Stevie Thompson and Richard Manning who played in the NBA.
So we had 6 players who played in the NBA on 1 team.
If Kenny Anderson had come or if Earl Duncan had stayed and we had a true lead guard...man what might have been.

Another one that comes to mind from that era was the 89 Regional Final against Illinois. SU had Douglas, DC, Owens as starters, Illinois had Kendall Gill, Nick Anderson, Kenny Battle and Marcus Liberty (who never made it in the NBA but I think was top 2 or 3 recruit out of high school). Very tough loss at the time, but the quality of play in that game was amazing. DC was a little hurt but still put up 17/10.

Another one that comes to mind from that era was the 89 Regional Final against Illinois. SU had Douglas, DC, Owens as starters, Illinois had Kendall Gill, Nick Anderson, Kenny Battle and Marcus Liberty (who never made it in the NBA but I think was top 2 or 3 recruit out of high school). Very tough loss at the time, but the quality of play in that game was amazing. DC was a little hurt but still put up 17/10.
Easter Day 1989. Sherm hits a 3 to cut the lead to 1. We send Liberty to the line for 1 and 1 with like 8 seconds left. He misses front end and WE DONT GET THE REBOUND!!!! Sherm fouls out and puts Battle at the line who makes both freebies. Stevie takes our shot to tie from 3 and rattles it out.

I’ve moved on though.

Easter Day 1989. Sherm hits a 3 to cut the lead to 1. We send Liberty to the line for 1 and 1 with like 8 seconds left. He misses front end and WE DONT GET THE REBOUND!!!! Sherm fouls out and puts Battle at the line who makes both freebies. Stevie takes our shot to tie from 3 and rattles it out.

I’ve moved on though.
UGH...I had forgotten that sequence on the FT and missed rebound. I must have blocked that out of my head.

The 6 overtime game probably had a few, with Flynn in the lottery, Thabeet inexplicably going top-3 (I think?), and Rautins and a few younger UConn getting drafted.

Also, the 1996 championship game had Wallace and pretty much UK's whole roster get drafted.

The 6 overtime game probably had a few, with Flynn in the lottery, Thabeet inexplicably going top-3 (I think?), and Rautins and a few younger UConn getting drafted.

Also, the 1996 championship game had Wallace and pretty much UK's whole roster get drafted.
Agreed but what really got me about the GTown game I mentioned were the #1, 2, 3,and 4 guys drafted. That's pretty amazing

Last edited:
Agreed but what really got me about the GTown game I mentioned were the #1, 2, 3,and 4 guys drafted. That's petty amazing

Yup, clean sweep (in different drafts) is pretty cool, not sure that's happened in too many games.

1600890869691.png

I’ve moved on though.
Do you also eat salty foods on purpose when you have a canker sore? ugh

I’ve moved on though.

That team had so much talent, enough that they should have got JB his 3rd or 4th championship.

This will be a fun thread to follow

Can I get back to you after the 21-22 season? Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom