Hate to say it but we are pretty loaded | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Hate to say it but we are pretty loaded

I'm still not over that game. I think each coach should have surrendered their game check. That was abysmal. If nothing else we should have brought the entire defense to the line and just let them try and throw it over top. We did nothing. If I was the AD, I would have had a very quick sit down with the coaches and asked for a thorough answer to how that happened. The Northwestern game was a close second in futility. Although they at least threw and ran the ball.

That game still irks me. While i despise Paul Johnson and his knee hunting oline, we got too cute. Remember fellas, we tried to "surprise " them switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense just for that game. The staff asked the kids to change concepts for 5 days and it severely backfired. Then there was the pitt game last year, where we couldn't get off the field on a game ending 9:00 drive by pitts less than dynamic offense. That game was what ultimately landed dino at the cuse, so thanks bullough.

That game still irks me. While i despise Paul Johnson and his knee hunting oline, we got too cute. Remember fellas, we tried to "surprise " them switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense just for that game. The staff asked the kids to change concepts for 5 days and it severely backfired. Then there was the pitt game last year, where we couldn't get off the field on a game ending 9:00 drive by pitts less than dynamic offense. That game was what ultimately landed dino at the cuse, so thanks bullough.

Nah, what landed Dino at Cuse was the day last April when Coyle was hired. Shafer was a dead man the minute that hire was made. Even if we had scraped out 6 wins last year, Coyle would have dumped him. as far as the GT game, it was a horrible idea by CB, you can't completely change your defense over a few days of practice. Awful job of preparation, and I use that term loosely.

In fairness, Bullough had that defense playing well against PSU (23 points, forcing several turnovers -- if only the offense had come to play); NC State (10 pts); Wake (shut out); Pitt (17 pts); and upsetting Minny in the Texas bowl (17 pts).

Maryland as well. Granted, the Terps were missing almost all of their offensive weapons and granted they were coached by Randy, but that was a very good defensive effort too

Nah, what landed Dino at Cuse was the day last April when Coyle was hired. Shafer was a dead man the minute that hire was made. Even if we had scraped out 6 wins last year, Coyle would have dumped him. as far as the GT game, it was a horrible idea by CB, you can't completely change your defense over a few days of practice. Awful job of preparation, and I use that term loosely.
Don't think that is true. The Louisville game sealed Shafers fate.

The 3-game stretch of USF, UVA and Pitt closed the door on the SS era.
He may have been gone any way, but following these three consecutive disasters, only a miraculous finish (including wins over FSU and Clempsun) could've unlocked the door.

The 3-game stretch of USF, UVA and Pitt closed the door on the SS era.
He may have been gone any way, but following these three consecutive disasters, only a miraculous finish (including wins over FSU and Clempsun) could've unlocked the door.

Clearly the UVA and Pitt losses were the end - both games were very winnable.

Clearly the UVA and Pitt losses were the end - both games were very winnable.
Both games we failed to close out. Imagine if we did - 6 wins, a bowl game, and more HCSS?

All I can say is that for a Thursday evening, I am pretty loaded right now.

100% correct. Was at that game and at the board tailgate. As I was grilling hot dogs after the game and at the post game dinner meetup, the discussion was centered around Shafer being done, TexanMark and sutomcat can second and third.

Both games we failed to close out. Imagine if we did - 6 wins, a bowl game, and more HCSS?

I wonder.

Someone posted that Scott had no chance with the new AD - and the new Chancellor.

And, it has been said that some in the department were concerned that the head coaching position needed enhanced executive skills.

100% correct. Was at that game and at the board tailgate. As I was grilling hot dogs after the game and at the post game dinner meetup, the discussion was centered around Shafer being done, TexanMark and sutomcat can second and third.

The decision to keep Dungey in the game when the game was out of hand, caused many to stop and think.

The decision to keep Dungey in the game when the game was out of hand, caused many to stop and think.

The reasoning behind the decisions were often the most puzzling. I used to torture myself listening to those radio post game press conferences on the way home from games. Shafer was so defensive for much of the presser and overly offensive at other times. That presser after CMU when he kept saying we were 3-0. It was maddening. Shafer also never seemed to learn from his prior mistakes. The end of FSU half was a trainwreck and it was a repeat of similar time management tactical errors. The stuff with him throwing his hat and screaming at Dabo (as I could relate as a goon in the stands) was just a disaster on the field. He had a lot of penalties which hurt us. I liked him as a man and appreciate what he did for the school as a DC and often times as a head coach. His ceiling for a good season seemed like the Texas Bowl year. He never really made you feel like we were ever going to go to the next level. Dino at least gives you that feeling that it is possible to occasionally have a 9 or 10 win season given his prior records as a head coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom