Hats off to the job the coaches did in Illinois... | Syracusefan.com

Hats off to the job the coaches did in Illinois...

supp

Hall of Fame
I didn't think they'd be this successful but Lester and Smith really worked these kids hard. Granted, it helped that Illinois has been awful. We also had some tough-to-take misses (Brosnan, Domer, and Sykes). But overall it was a solid haul.

I'll still say, though, that Smith and Lester's talents are better utilized in the 6-hour radius zone. If they can get guys from East St. Louis to commit, it will be easier to work kids in PA, MD, NoVA, and NJ. UMd and Rutgers will take a major hit in the B1G. UVA and VT are both in a transitional phase. The time is ripe to hit the Mid-Atlantic hard. Why leave it to PSU, Pitt, and a bunch of middling B1G schools?

Totally agree with your post and 2015 will be a big year for Chicagoland athletes.

Keep an eye on Dominic Lombard, a 6'5" 295 OL from Fremd HS in Palatine. His brother has been an OL starter at Notre Dame the past three years (missed last 6 games in 2013 due to injury and has one year left to play) and kid is REAL raw. Iowa is closely looking at him and hopefully Lester can evaluate.

supp said:
I didn't think they'd be this successful but Lester and Smith really worked these kids hard. Granted, it helped that Illinois has been awful. We also had some tough-to-take misses (Brosnan, Domer, and Sykes). But overall it was a solid haul. I'll still say, though, that Smith and Lester's talents are better utilized in the 6-hour radius zone. If they can get guys from East St. Louis to commit, it will be easier to work kids in PA, MD, NoVA, and NJ. UMd and Rutgers will take a major hit in the B1G. UVA and VT are both in a transitional phase. The time is ripe to hit the Mid-Atlantic hard. Why leave it to PSU, Pitt, and a bunch of middling B1G schools?

They were successful because they are good recruiters and because they have Chicago roots. I'd leave them there and see what they can do with a few more wins + and good stories from the kids we grabbed.

Until it isn't effective anymore - don't change what works.

I'll still say, though, that Smith and Lester's talents are better utilized in the 6-hour radius zone. If they can get guys from East St. Louis to commit, it will be easier to work kids in PA, MD, NoVA, and NJ. UMd and Rutgers will take a major hit in the B1G. UVA and VT are both in a transitional phase. The time is ripe to hit the Mid-Atlantic hard. Why leave it to PSU, Pitt, and a bunch of middling B1G schools?

I agree with this sentiment. We seem to be maybe honing in on New Jersey for 2015 with coaches down there and offers being made. I still don’t know what coaches are making visits but believe that we should start sticking guys like Williams and Lea down there.

Here’s what I would do going forward in Illinois. You have to go to that well until it dries up but I might limit the prospects I’m contacting to a very select group. Based off my contacts’ info as well as uber thorough questionnaires gauge how serious the interest is or might be with select prospects. If those prospects are willing to get to the Syracuse campus on unofficial visits then they are worth recruiting. But I’m not going to chase a carrot unless I know I have a good chance of catching it.

They were successful because they are good recruiters and because they have Chicago roots. I'd leave them there and see what they can do with a few more wins + and good stories from the kids we grabbed.

Until it isn't effective anymore - don't change what works.
I couldn't agree more. It makes zero sense to decrease our recruiting foot print in an area that has been so good to us since the new staff took over. People need to remember that getting to Chicago is really easy and is serviced by direct flights.

Another positive is these kids never complain about the weather.

Another positive is these kids never complain about the weather.

thats a great point.

have to go back to that well but also somehow make sure we invest a lot more time in NJ, PA, Mid-Atlantic.

I'll be the first to admit at first I questioned the tactic, but Lester and Smith proved me wrong. Illinois is wide open for the taking, and coaches like Lester and Smith, who have deep connections can go a long way. It doesn't hurt when Shafer comes in as the closer. We were so close with Bronsan and Sykes as well. This Illinois class was real close to being ridiculous.

It is pretty important we are able to keep Lester and Smith around as long as possible. I really don't think this would be possible unless we have coaches who are established in the region.

And Phat Perles has been doing almost all of the work in NJ

I also like having Lea working the South. There is something to be said about having recruiters who have personal connections to the areas they are recruiting. Whether it is the South or Midwest. They "speak the language" of the kids and coaches in those areas.

I'll be the first to admit at first I questioned the tactic, but Lester and Smith proved me wrong. Illinois is wide open for the taking,

Illinois really is there for the taking. The state has always been a no man's land. A lot like NY, there's not a lot of affinity for staying in-state. Go back and look at the Illinois' top 50 or whatever over the past 10-12 years. The state's kids go all over the place.

shoot this year between the 2 schools they've only gotten about 9 out of 50 to stay home.

thats a great point.

have to go back to that well but also somehow make sure we invest a lot more time in NJ, PA, Mid-Atlantic.
Agreed...but this won't happen until our new staff mends some fences and establishes new relationships in our traditional recruiting grounds.

Hopefully they can build on the great job they've done in southeastern PA and make some significant inroads in the rest of PA and NJ. Very futile areas.

image.jpg

Good work staff, good god d*mn work!

They are focusing on two inner cities Chicago and Philly. Very smart to do so as there are great talents there and easy to get to and to cover. Very smart. They have done a nice job of developing GA and FL in the last 4 years as well.

I don't care where the talent comes from and let's face it they can't be everywhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom