Hats off to the OL | Syracusefan.com

Hats off to the OL

GoSU96

Living Legend
First off, lowest regarded unit on the team per recruiting services, per 247 consensus ranking.

Macky - not ranked by the services. 3 year starter, 2nd team all ACC this year. Section 3
Nick Robinson - big props to him, I had my doubts. 2 star, Section 3
Trudo - only three star in the bunch, PA kid
Foy - 2 star from Brooklyn, two more years on the right side with Robinson
Hickey - consensus 2 star from WPA,

If you want to see what the recruiting profile is for a Syracuse OL, this is it. Single biggest turnaround by Marrone. The foundation on which everything else is built. For Marrone's first three years the lack of productive run game was the weight holding everything else down. For the second straight year it was a strenght and not a weakness. And again without a star RB.

Here's what they did in a transition year, and with problems in the pass game.

Highest yards per carry since 1998.
With 200 yds in the bowl highest rushing total since 1998, need one hundred to pass last year, second year over 2000 yds, first time in 10 years.
Most rushing TD's since P was coach. Second year in a row over 20, first time in 10 years.
Highest rushing ranking in 10 years
First season with six 200 yd plus rushing games since 2003 (more than Robinson had in four seasons)
One more sack allowed than last year (17 vs 16) , 1% higher per called pass play than last years excellent performance, still good for 38th in the country vs 19th.

Also had my doubts about Perles, but the proof is in the pudding. Excellent job by him.

First off, lowest regarded unit on the team per recruiting services, per 247 consensus ranking.

Macky - not ranked by the services. 3 year starter, 2nd team all ACC this year. Section 3
Nick Robinson - big props to him, I had my doubts. 2 star, Section 3
Trudo - only three star in the bunch, PA kid
Foy - 2 star from Brooklyn, two more years on the right side with Robinson
Hickey - consensus 2 star from WPA,

If you want to see what the recruiting profile is for a Syracuse OL, this is it. Single biggest turnaround by Marrone. The foundation on which everything else is built. For Marrone's first three years the lack of productive run game was the weight holding everything else down. For the second straight year it was a strenght and not a weakness. And again without a star RB.

Here's what they did in a transition year, and with problems in the pass game.

Highest yards per carry since 1998.
With 200 yds in the bowl highest rushing total since 1998, need one hundred to pass last year, second year over 2000 yds, first time in 10 years.
Most rushing TD's since P was coach. Second year in a row over 20, first time in 10 years.
Highest rushing ranking in 10 years
First season with six 200 yd plus rushing games since 2003 (more than Robinson had in four seasons)
One more sack allowed than last year (17 vs 16) , 1% higher per called pass play than last years excellent performance, still good for 38th in the country vs 19th.

Also had my doubts about Perles, but the proof is in the pudding. Excellent job by him.

Agree, great job by Perles to hold it all together. I like the fact that our big guys are all from within the 5-hour radius. Skill guys, you can go down south for but we've got enough big uglies up here to field a solid team.

At the same time, 2000-plus yards is great relative to our history but I was watching the Auburn game last night and they flashed a stat that Auburn has run for nearly 4400 yards this year and they only just broke the school record set in Newton's Heisman season last night. We've still got a long way to go to get to the 21st century on offense.

Last edited:
Agree, great job by Perles to hold it all together. I like the fact that our big guys are all from within the 5-hour radius. Skill guys, you can go down south for but we've got enough big uglies up here to field a solid team.

At the same time, 2000-plus yards is great relative to our history but I was watching the Auburn game last night and they flashed a stat that Auburn has run for nearly 4400 yards this year and they only just broke the school record set in Newton's Heisman season last night. We've still got a long way to go to get to the 21st century on offense.

There's 15 teams that have run for more than 3000 yds this year, only three for more than 4000, and all three of those teams have played one more game than just about anyone else. Auburn is an outlyier.

What SU needs to focus on is getting another 50 yds out of the passing game. I expect the defense to be at same level as this years, a run game that can stay at the level it has for the last two years, and a moderatly more productive passing game this will be a team that can top 4o in offense and defense and that ususally means a solid 8 or 9 win season.

There's 15 teams that have run for more than 3000 yds this year, only three for more than 4000, and all three of those teams have played one more game than just about anyone else. Auburn is an outlyier.

What SU needs to focus on is getting another 50 yds out of the passing game. I expect the defense to be at same level as this years, a run game that can stay at the level it has for the last two years, and a moderatly more productive passing game this will be a team that can top 4o in offense and defense and that ususally means a solid 8 or 9 win season.
Great job by you Go. If there was a way to get props in to marrone this morning, I knew you could find it. Slip in the OL and you are off to the races.

Any word on the development of the two diamond in the rough OT's from last year's class...Burton and McGloster?

Two physically huge individuals! Hopefully they're good enough to crack the 2-deep before their careers are over.

Perles might have been best hire of the assistants

We've done a good job with development and coaching them up. Other than Pugh, there may not be an NFL lineman. Time will tell. Maybe Macky, maybe Trudo. We were 48th in ypc so that's not too bad. I didn't look at total rushing yards because we ran so much due to a bad pass game.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner