have we ever been more wrong about a team??? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

have we ever been more wrong about a team???

Well, you have to get to the tournament...so I'd say rather important. The only reason we got in the tourney last year were because of those early (out of conference) wins against quality opponents back in Nov. at the Battle 4 Atlantis.

exactly. we got some serious work to do in conference play to get in the tournament. going 10-8 (or 9-9 like last year) aint gonna cut it. i would say a minimum of 11-7, and a couple of them need to be "signature" wins, ie duke, louisville, unc.

its true that all that really matters is march and the tournament, but you gotta get there first, and this team may not get there.

exactly. we got some serious work to do in conference play to get in the tournament. going 10-8 (or 9-9 like last year) aint gonna cut it. i would say a minimum of 11-7, and a couple of them need to be "signature" wins, ie duke, louisville, unc.

its true that all that really matters is march and the tournament, but you gotta get there first, and this team may not get there.
10-8 will prolly cut it, as long as (like you say) a few of those 10 are of the "marquee" variety

You're 100% right, even if we win out the OOC this season it doesn't compare to last years OOC schedule when we had some nice wins. We also won a few games in conference that really boosted us up.

We have a lot of work to do, I just hope the players treat each game like "the super bowl" like UConn did with us so they can see the post season.

Defensively we are ranked tied for 13th place in points per game given up 59.3 (scoring defense) and 7th in FG defense 35%.

I have a different opinion about getting open shots in the UConn game. I agree that we had that 2nd half stretch where UConn went man and we sucked, but we had plenty of open shots last night, particularly in the first half. Most of them from outside, and we missed them.

UConn isn't ranked in the top 50 defensively in any category. It wasn't the opposition. Offensively it's pretty simple..we missed our shots, and most of them were not seriously contested.

Defensively we are ranked tied for 13th place in points per game given up 59.3 (scoring defense) and 7th in FG defense 35%.

I have a different opinion about getting open shots in the UConn game. I agree that we had that 2nd half stretch where UConn went man and we sucked, but we had plenty of open shots last night, particularly in the first half. Most of them from outside, and we missed them.

UConn isn't ranked in the top 50 defensively in any category. It wasn't the opposition. Offensively it's pretty simple..we missed our shots, and most of them were not seriously contested.
I didn't read 99% of the stuff posted after the loss but no question that we have issues. However, if we shot just a little bit better, we would have won by ten points. Bottom line is that we are a three point shooting team and prior to last night, we were one of the top three point shooting teams in the country. We make one more and we would have won. If we make our season average we nuke Yukon off the map. No need to people to jump ship (yet!!!).

Except a good chunk of those open shots were NBA 3 pointers. Not exactly high percentage shots.

Except a good chunk of those open shots were NBA 3 pointers. Not exactly high percentage shots.
eh they were fine shots that the shooters typically make at a good % and a handful of them rimmed out

meh I think most people get their information from people that are perceived to be "in the know". when boeheim goes on any news outlet that will listen to him to talk about how much talent we have, well people listen. then there are the board insiders, or as i prefer to think of them, the bored insiders, that completely overrated the transfers. the practice reports were all bs, gillon, chukwu and white as a group have been horrible. and it has come at the expense of the program kids and the long term health of the program. chukwu is a little bit taller obokoh. the staff needs to get back to basics, trust their instincts and recruit basketball players. not stars or combine measurements.

meh I think most people get their information from people that are perceived to be "in the know". when boeheim goes on any news outlet that will listen to him to talk about how much talent we have, well people listen. then there are the board insiders, or as i prefer to think of them, the bored insiders, that completely overrated the transfers. the practice reports were all bs, gillon, chukwu and white as a group have been horrible. and it has come at the expense of the program kids and the long term health of the program. chukwu is a little bit taller obokoh. the staff needs to get back to basics, trust their instincts and recruit basketball players. not stars or combine measurements.

I know that losing incites the board crazy, but your post is an absolute joke--and an unnecessary pot shot against people who go out of their way to bring information to the board.

It's rich that a poster who contributes literally less than zero substantive value to the board is calling out posters that contribute a lot of insight and perspective [and I'm certainly not including myself in that group]. No wonder many of the terrific contributors from the past eventually choose not to post, when line up to shoot the messenger the first time anything goes wrong.

Also, just because you've decided to make being anti-5th year transfers your crusade doesn't mean that the transfers have been horrible. White is averaging 17 ppg, for Christ sake.

Go re-read my practice report, where you'll see that my observations for each of the players very accurately lines up with how things have unfolded for each of them [I know that the jury is still out on Gillon, but his early season performances demonstrated what I saw in practice]. Which included warnings that White / Lydon did NOT have the capabilities to create their own offense, and were bad fits at the wing positions on offense, which many of you didn't want to hear.

You might also see that my practice report, which was BS according to you, correctly predicted the original starting lineup, but cautioned that this lineup was fatally flawed and that we'd see changes quick because playing that grouping would be an enormous scoring liability. What BS that prediction turned out to be.

Maybe if we'd started out with the optimal lineup instead from the beginning of the year, that group would be further along today than just trying to figure things out and losing to garbage teams like UConn--which gives chronic complainers like you a chance to come out from underneath your rock to spout temper tantrums. So, enjoy reveling in the team's misfortune while you can.

eh they were fine shots that the shooters typically make at a good % and a handful of them rimmed out

I'll 100% disagree with that. They look like normal shots because of the NBA line being there. Have them shoot those shots in the Dome and it would look insane to be taking them, especially when almost none of them are going in.

I know that losing incites the board crazy, but your post is an absolute joke--and an unnecessary pot shot against people who go out of their way to bring information to the board.

It's rich that a poster who contributes literally less than zero substantive value to the board is calling out posters that contribute a lot of insight and perspective [and I'm certainly not including myself in that group]. No wonder many of the terrific contributors from the past eventually choose not to post, when line up to shoot the messenger the first time anything goes wrong.

Also, just because you've decided to make being anti-5th year transfers your crusade doesn't mean that the transfers have been horrible. White is averaging 17 ppg, for Christ sake.

Go re-read my practice report, where you'll see that my observations for each of the players very accurately lines up with how things have unfolded for each of them [I know that the jury is still out on Gillon, but his early season performances demonstrated what I saw in practice]. Which included warnings that White / Lydon did NOT have the capabilities to create their own offense, and were bad fits at the wing positions on offense, which many of you didn't want to hear.

You might also see that my practice report, which was BS according to you, correctly predicted the original starting lineup, but cautioned that this lineup was fatally flawed and that we'd see changes quick because playing that grouping would be an enormous scoring liability. What BS that prediction turned out to be.

Maybe if we'd started out with the optimal lineup instead from the beginning of the year, that group would be further along today than just trying to figure things out and losing to garbage teams like UConn--which gives chronic complainers like you a chance to come out from underneath your rock to spout temper tantrums. So, enjoy reveling in the team's misfortune while you can.

I want guys like you, General20 , sutomcat , Coach Orange to give some recaps/thoughts. Been waiting for them because how things have unfolded recently definitely contradict some of the thoughts after SC State. I absolutely don't mean for it to turn into a "you're wrong I told you so" thing, just genuinely curious about what you think needs to be done to get back on track, i.e. we discuss basketball. I'm told I apparently don't know anything about the game so maybe you guys can teach me something about it :) .

I want guys like you, General20 , sutomcat , Coach Orange to give some recaps/thoughts. Been waiting for them because how things have unfolded recently definitely contradict some of the thoughts after SC State. I absolutely don't mean for it to turn into a "you're wrong I told you so" thing, just genuinely curious about what you think needs to be done to get back on track, i.e. we discuss basketball. I'm told I apparently don't know anything about the game so maybe you guys can teach me something about it :) .

Done! You have excellent timing.

This team looked absolutely lost on offense.
Most trips unable to do much more than pass the ball around the perimeter.
If they got a good shot from that it was a fluke.

The expectations for this team and the players can - to some extent - be attributed to Jim Boeheim.
He is not given to hyping things.
But this year he's had some classics:

“I probably haven’t felt this good about a team since we had Scoop Jardine, Dion Waiters, and Fab Melo during the 2011-12 season,” Boeheim said at Syracuse’s practice on Tuesday. “We’ve got size. We’ve got length. We’ve got shooting. We can play big or we can play small. We’ve got options.”

"...and Paschal Chukwu is going to help us on defense. He’s going to be really good in back of the 2-3 zone.”

Boeheim - This Is The Best I've Felt About A Team In Four-To-Five Years

No point going beyond those.

This team looked absolutely lost on offense.
Most trips unable to do much more than pass the ball around the perimeter.
If they got a good shot from that it was a fluke.

The expectations for this team and the players can - to some extent - be attributed to Jim Boeheim.
He is not given to hyping things.
But this year he's had some classics:

“I probably haven’t felt this good about a team since we had Scoop Jardine, Dion Waiters, and Fab Melo during the 2011-12 season,” Boeheim said at Syracuse’s practice on Tuesday. “We’ve got size. We’ve got length. We’ve got shooting. We can play big or we can play small. We’ve got options.”

"...and Paschal Chukwu is going to help us on defense. He’s going to be really good in back of the 2-3 zone.”

Boeheim - This Is The Best I've Felt About A Team In Four-To-Five Years

No point going beyond those.

Early onset of dementia? Just kidding as we know first hand it's no joking matter. I still have faith in JAB and his success. This team has some talent but is it ever going to be as good as the sum of it's parts. I think we are all curious how the next five non league games go. The tough thing about Yukon that no one has talked about is that we came out of a much tougher North Florida game that never should have been that close and had almost no time to prepare physically and mentally for the Yukon game. Although we should have beaten both teams badly, historically we have not done well on Saturday/Monday games, especially when we have had to travel for Monday. Definitely not an excuse but let's let the next five play out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom