Have we ever had a 50/80/40 guy? | Syracusefan.com

Have we ever had a 50/80/40 guy?

I don't believe so. Wes Johnson came close in 2009-10, but fell just short on FT% at 77%. Interestingly, freshman Brandon Triche from that same team was at 50% on FG, 40% from three, and 63% at the line.

Shoot 50 percent from the field
80 percent from the line
and 40 percent from the 3?

lydon has a chance.
Nichols was close his senior year.

Nichols was close his senior year.
Greg Monroe, Preston Shumpert and Marius Janulis have all come pretty close as well.

That is a pretty difficult club to crack. We have only had 8 players shoot 40% or better for a season from 3 point range. The fact that we have two guys this season with a real shot at it tells you just how good a 3 point shooting team this team is. After yesterday's game Lydon is shooting 44.7% and G is shooting 39.6%. G could get there on 3PG and possibly FG with some improvement, but has virtually no shot at getting to 80% on FTs. Lydon is at 48% FG and 78.9% from the FT line, so I would say he could get there, he's at least in striking range on all 3 categories.

The 8 guys with seasons of 40% or better from 3 are:

Matt Roe (2x), Monroe, Preston Shumpert, Nichols, Janulis, Wes and Rautins.

Of those 8 seasons, only 5 of those guys met two of the criteria.

Shump's sophomore season he was 47.2% FG, 83.3% FT and 42.9% 3FG

Nichols' senior season he was 44.7% FG, 85% FT and 41.7% 3FG

Janulis' sophmore season he was 45.2% FG, 84.6% FT and 41.6% 3FG

Wes Johnson was 50.2% FG, 77.2% FT and 41.5% 3FG

Andy's senior year he was 43.8% FG, 81.5% FT and 40.7% 3FG

Last edited:
The first guy I thought of was John Wallace. He came close, too, in that near-legendary 95-96 season, but didn't quite hit the mark:

FG% - 48.9
FT% - 76.3
3P% - 42.1

Orangehoops didn't have Wallace as having a 40% 3PFG season, but did have that in his career stats page. I wonder if there are other's missing from the list?

Edit: It pays to read the small print, the list required 100 or more attempts for inclusion.

And yet he is 4th in shots attempted . . . . . . . . I like that he generally only takes good shots but I think he's too judicious and passes on about 3 a game that he should take.

So wes was the closest

I guess you could argue that Wes and Shump were similar degrees removed. Shump shot 47.2% from the field and Wes shot 77.2% from the line the seasons they hit 40%+ from 3.

And yet he is 4th in shots attempted . . . . . . . . I like that he generally only takes good shots but I think he's too judicious and passes on about 3 a game that he should take.

That's probably the main reason that his percentages are so good--shot selection.

That's probably the main reason that his percentages are so good--shot selection.

I agree but he passes on some shots and we wind up with a late heave from Trevor or a wild foray from TylerR instead to end the same possession. I appreciate the selectness but I also feel he passes on a few that he should take and often times in those situations we wind up with a worse shot. He's having an amazing season for a freshman playing out of position so this is really nitpicking on my part.

I agree but he passes on some shots and we wind up with a late heave from Trevor or a wild foray from TylerR instead to end the same possession. I appreciate the selectness but I also feel he passes on a few that he should take and often times in those situations we wind up with a worse shot. He's having an amazing season for a freshman playing out of position so this is really nitpicking on my part.

Yah, I agree--and Boeheim has said as much. You like the shot selection, but you'd also like to see him create his own shot a little more--I think that's the difference the past few games. He's actually been doing that.

That and the fact that he's not the #1 option and thus not the focus of the defense. It's also tough to stop a 6-9 jump shooter. Maybe Chukwu could block his shot.

I hear you. It's tough to fault a guy for being too unselfish, passing on contested shots, and playing efficiently. Especially a frosh. :noidea:

Reminds me of CJ in that regard soph / junior years. And a lot of people had the same observation about wanting CJ to do more, since he was so efficient.

I agree. I did notice it seemed like his first two shots yesterday were more aggressive than he has been. I think they were both somewhat turn around jumpers, if I remember correctly, and it seemed like he was doing less thinking about it and just taking them.

I hear you. It's tough to fault a guy for being too unselfish, passing on contested shots, and playing efficiently. Especially a frosh. :noidea:

Reminds me of CJ in that regard soph / junior years. And a lot of people had the same observation about wanting CJ to do more, since he was so efficient.

No doubt and I'm not knocking him as much as wishing he'd be a little more aggressive which as others have mentioned we are starting to see signs of. Good example with CJ and how as a complimentary 3rd/4th option it is much easier to be efficient.

I, too, have been frustrated by Lydon's hesitancy to take the open three. However, his success inside yesterday may boost his confidence enough to reduce that hesitancy. There's no reason he can't "carry" the team in any given game -- he has the tools. He just has to realize he's a valuable (I would say essential) piece of the machinery.

So interesting -- and rewarding -- to see the frosh develop and integrate with the two 5th-year seniors this year. First Malachi, now Lydon, and (I believe) soon Frank are blossoming. Many previous frosh didn't really develop much in their first year, but to have three this year on a team that really needs them to develop in a hurry makes this year special. Take that, NCAA . . . Cuse proves it can do more with less.--VBOF

Devo came close his Senior year:

44% // 80% // 39%

Freshman year:

45% // 82% // 38%

Dave Johnson (Junior year):

50% // 66% // 38% (Not that close on free throws)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom