Have we talked about this MCW thing from SI's Winn? | Syracusefan.com

Have we talked about this MCW thing from SI's Winn?

There is an entire thread on this topic, so yea we have talked about it.

There is an entire thread on this topic, so yea we have talked about it.
It seems as though I am unable to find the thread that talks about that article. What's it titled?

It seems as though I am unable to find the thread that talks about that article. What's it titled?
I think he is just mistaken. Thanks for the link to the article.

Thing about that article is that it shows in the chart that USF's Collins is #4 ahead of MCW at #5. Knew he was good but not like "that" good.

just scanning thru the box scores today i see that OHIO's d.j. cooper had 17 assists in 27 minutes in a rout.

Feeding the post: doesn't (and IMO) hasn't been an SU strength.

44cuse
Which blew my mind during the Onuaku years.

True post scorers are close to becoming a thing of legend. When you've got one, you have to take advantage of that.

Flynn was very good, but under no circumstances should a big that converts 66% of his field goal attempts only average 7 field goal attempts a game. And yet, that's what AO averaged his last two seasons.

1, we're playing faster than we did last season.

There is a big caveat to that, however: those number are from KenPom, and the 2012 number is for the entire year, while the 2013 is just the pre-conference plus Rutgers. Our tempo was very high after the early games last year, too, but the Big East teams made a concerted effort to slow us down and take care of the ball. I'll bet you'll find the tempo numbers converge as the conference season wears on.

In other words, I don't think we are playing faster than last year. If we had the tempo numbers for 14 games last season, I would even bet they are higher than this year's.

There is a big caveat to that, however: those number are from KenPom, and the 2012 number is for the entire year, while the 2013 is just the pre-conference plus Rutgers. Our tempo was very high after the early games last year, too, but the Big East teams made a concerted effort to slow us down and take care of the ball. I'll bet you'll find the tempo numbers converge as the conference season wears on.

In other words, I don't think we are playing faster than last year. If we had the tempo numbers for 14 games last season, I would even bet they are higher than this year's.
Good catch.

sherm's numbers were definitely high tempo.in addition to the "oop" he knew how to feed the break. MCW not so much.

True post scorers are close to becoming a thing of legend. When you've got one, you have to take advantage of that.

Flynn was very good, but under no circumstances should a big that converts 66% of his field goal attempts only average 7 field goal attempts a game. And yet, that's what AO averaged his last two seasons.

That's because teams would foul him and he couldn't make them at a high rate. But it you were to add his ft attempts (2/fg) to his fg attempts he was getting about 10-12 shots up a game, and Ricky was getting his touches too. The issue was foul shooting

I think MCW's numbers are inflated, albeit legally, by Southerland jumpshots. I wonder if the official numbers would have been the same 25 years ago.

Got the numbers.

Through the first BE game last season, we averaged 67.9 possessions per game, ending the season at 65.2. Right now, we're at 70.5 possessions per game. So still about 4% faster than last year at the same time.

I've only been watching SU basketball for a long time and I can count the number of bounce entry passes I have seen on one hand.

44cuse

Just realized that Pomeory uses an adjusted tempo number; I'm not exactly sure how he calculates it, but we have actually averaged 72.8 possessions per game this year, not 70.5 So about 5 more possessions per game.

Just realized that Pomeory uses an adjusted tempo number; I'm not exactly sure how he calculates it, but we have actually averaged 72.8 possessions per game this year, not 70.5 So about 5 more possessions per game.

What is adjusted tempo?

44cuse

im not sure; i'm guessing it had something to do with comparing the possessions in a given game to the average number a team has?

A team’s average tempo is total possessions divided by minutes. This value is then adjusted for schedule, considering the preferred pace of each opponent and when each game was played.

I'd just prefer to see the raw number.

A team’s average tempo is total possessions divided by minutes. This value is then adjusted for schedule, considering the preferred pace of each opponent and when each game was played.
in such a small sample, then, the difference between adjusted and non-adjusted is probably largely accounted for by Arkansas' pace

I think MCW's numbers are inflated, albeit legally, by Southerland jumpshots. I wonder if the official numbers would have been the same 25 years ago.

What about all the ones that our guys have missed that should have been assists. Come on man someone has to make a shot for the passer to get credited an assist. So we are going to discound his assists becuase one guy is a good jump shooter? The other team knows Southerland can shoot. What about the 80 misses Cooney has had on wide open 3's when MCW passed hium the ball.

Agree AO might have deserved more shots per game, but you have to consider some other factors also.

Onuaku drew quite a few charges as he had no face up dribble and Defenders would just flop. Also him and Rick were a better backline then Wes and Joseph on the defensive side of the ball as we only went 4 deep in the backline. Not to mention his ft shooting.

Also between Wes, Andy, AO, KJO, Scoop and Rick in the low post we really had alot of scorers to share with.
AO would also pass the ball back outside alot. He had to average between 14-20 entry isolation passes per game without being double teamed.

Feeding the post: doesn't (and IMO) hasn't been an SU strength.

44cuse

Keita's the only one who has shown he can finish. JB is trying to force feed the other guys, and they are improving. But Coleman's defense is going to keep him off the floor in big games. They've all got to start shooting FTs better, too.

Keita's the only one who has shown he can finish. JB is trying to force feed the other guys, and they are improving. But Coleman's defense is going to keep him off the floor in big games. They've all got to start shooting FTs better, too.

This is one area where other programs have developed their big men better, on the offensive end. I'd love to see us have a guy who could just roll to the basket and convert around the rim for 15-18 ppg and 8-10 rebounds, like some other programs seem to do every year. People talk about Roy Williams' abilities as a coach, but that's one thing he does well, is have big men who know how to score around the basket on a consistent basis. Mike Brey is good at this too, and not with always the most physically gifted players. Izzo used to get better results from his post guys on offense, but that seems to have fallen off since Paul Davis.

Flynn would rather take a swan dive off the Empire State Building than feed the post.