Have we talked about this MCW thing from SI's Winn? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Have we talked about this MCW thing from SI's Winn?

The last guard who really understood how to feed the ball inside was Andy.

I remember Avery Johnson leading the nation in assists and setting a record that year. It seemed strange because Sherman Douglas was so great with assists and we were such a high scoring team: why wasn't Sherman leading the country in assists? Why wasn't he setting the records? (He did wind up the all-time career leader). Sherman finished 6th that year with 8.2 assists per game. How did Johnson get five more than that? Southern scored 95.6ppgs that year, Syracuse "only" 84.7, (Loyola Marymount scored 110.3!) If you mulitple 13.3 by 84.7/95.6, the result is 11.8 so the team scoring difference didn't account for it. I've heard it said that most assists result in jump shots not lay-ups or dunks. Maybe Southern-BR was more of a jump shooting team, (note #4 in the artticle). I don't know which is harder to assist on, but I suspect it's a pass that goes through the defense, rather than away from it. And why wasn't someone from Loyola-Marymount leading the nation? They scored more baskets than anyone else.

Maybe the ultimate thing is that an assist, more than anything else, is an opinion. The interpretation of what is an assist might have been different in Baton Rouge than it is in Syracuse.

That's because teams would foul him and he couldn't make them at a high rate. But it you were to add his ft attempts (2/fg) to his fg attempts he was getting about 10-12 shots up a game, and Ricky was getting his touches too. The issue was foul shooting

I agree with this. AO was such a lousy free throw shooter that they fouled him constantly rather than letting him make his moves. You can't blame it on the offense.

You've got to have someone to feed to feed the post. Often we just haven't had the sort of inside scorer that made it worthwhile. It will be interesitng to see MCW's pattern of assists if one our bigs develops into one. (That may have to happen this year to see it.)

I remember Avery Johnson leading the nation in assists and setting a record that year. It seemed strange because Sherman Douglas was so great with assists and we were such a high scoring team: why wasn't Sherman leading the country in assists? Why wasn't he setting the records? (He did wind up the all-time career leader). Sherman finished 6th that year with 8.2 assists per game. How did Johnson get five more than that? Southern scored 95.6ppgs that year, Syracuse "only" 84.7, (Loyola Marymount scored 110.3!) If you mulitple 13.3 by 84.7/95.6, the result is 11.8 so the team scoring difference didn't account for it. I've heard it said that most assists result in jump shots not lay-ups or dunks. Maybe Southern-BR was more of a jump shooting team, (note #4 in the artticle). I don't know which is harder to assist on, but I suspect it's a pass that goes through the defense, rather than away from it. And why wasn't someone from Loyola-Marymount leading the nation? They scored more baskets than anyone else.

Maybe the ultimate thing is that an assist, more than anything else, is an opinion. The interpretation of what is an assist might have been different in Baton Rouge than it is in Syracuse.

There definitely could be something to the scorekeepers interpretation, but i bet Sherm got the benefit of the doubt on a lot of a lot of assists as well. It seems like Southern played at a faster pace, which got some more assists for Avery. Avery also played about 4 more minutes per game, which was probably worth another assist.

Also I'm guessing Avery had the ball in his hands more than Sherm did, since Sherm had some real talent around him and Southern well, they probably didn't. And Avery didn't look to shoot nearly as much; Sherman took 4 more shhots per game.

There definitely could be something to the scorekeepers interpretation, but i bet Sherm got the benefit of the doubt on a lot of a lot of assists as well. It seems like Southern played at a faster pace, which got some more assists for Avery. Avery also played about 4 more minutes per game, which was probably worth another assist.

Also I'm guessing Avery had the ball in his hands more than Sherm did, since Sherm had some real talent around him and Southern well, they probably didn't. And Avery didn't look to shoot nearly as much; Sherman took 4 more shhots per game.

Sherm having real talent around him allowed Avery to have more assists?

In reality a lot of post-up scores DO NOT result in assists, based on how the rule is set up. If the offensive player, after receiving the pass, makes a 'basketball move' to free himself up for a shot, it is not an assist. For an assist to happen on a post-up, the ball has to be shot 'as delivered'.

Sherm having real talent around him allowed Avery to have more assists?

What i meant was that Avery had more responsibility to make plays for his teammates, so he had the ball in his hands more.

Of course I'm just throwing possibilities out there.

In reality a lot of post-up scores DO NOT result in assists, based on how the rule is set up. If the offensive player, after receiving the pass, makes a 'basketball move' to free himself up for a shot, it is not an assist. For an assist to happen on a post-up, the ball has to be shot 'as delivered'.
Meh. We could still feed the post better.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2