HCFB on ESPN College Gameday podcast | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

HCFB on ESPN College Gameday podcast

He was shaking down Pete for a donation. It was too funny. Fran showed a bit more humor. I think that goes to his relationship with Thamel and respect he has for Rece Davis.
You could definitely see why Pete has had some scoops on SU football. Those guys are tight, which I never would have guessed.

Pete is going to break every big story on the program. Book it.

Last edited:
Some really good stuff in this interview. It’s well worth the time to listen to.

He wants everyone taking a class in Maymester: an intense two-week session covering a semester's worth of material for 3 units. I admire the ambition, but there aren't many courses offered during this intense two-week session. This year there are 37 courses available: 13 grad courses and 24 undergrad courses. The trick is to always make each class you take be meaningful and count towards graduation. This becomes more challenging the closer you get to graduation because you need fewer courses.

I've also heard HCFB also wants every player to take 2 courses during each of the two six-week sessions over the summer. That's a heavy load for any student. Even the players who can handle such a heavy academic load will run into the problem of finding meaningful classes every summer.

I love that HCFB talks about guiding players to earn a degree in three years. It is certainly possible if players are taking advantage of the summer sessions.

The last day of finals for the spring semester is May 7th.
  • May 13th -24th, Maymester.
  • Summer 6-week session #1, May 20th - June 28th. Overlaps one week with Maymester classes.
  • Summer 6-week session #2, July 1st - August 9th. Will this overlap with the first week of fall camp?
There doesn't appear to be much time off for the young men on this team; one week after finals until Maymester and the 4th of July weekend. The culture is changing. Get on board or get out of the way.

I think by now everyone on this board has heard of DART, but have you heard about Commitment, Care and Trust
  • Are you committed to what we are trying to do?
  • Do you care?
  • Can we trust you?

I understand HCFB also wants to move practices to the afternoon in the fall. This could be an interesting transition cause practices are currently in the mornings and classes are in the afternoons. Moving practices to the afternoon would mean classes would be concentrated in the morning which will be interesting again because of class availability.

"Syracuse 60". I had not heard of this before this interview. Through alumni and community resources the goal will be to secure employment for players within 60 days of graduation. That would be incredible!

I love his energy and his ambition.

Some really good stuff in this interview. It’s well worth the time to listen to.

He wants everyone taking a class in Maymester: an intense two-week session covering a semester's worth of material for 3 units. I admire the ambition, but there aren't many courses offered during this intense two-week session. This year there are 37 courses available: 13 grad courses and 24 undergrad courses. The trick is to always make each class you take be meaningful and count towards graduation. This becomes more challenging the closer you get to graduation because you need fewer courses.

I've also heard HCFB also wants every player to take 2 courses during each of the two six-week sessions over the summer. That's a heavy load for any student. Even the players who can handle such a heavy academic load will run into the problem of finding meaningful classes every summer.

I love that HCFB talks about guiding players to earn a degree in three years. It is certainly possible if players are taking advantage of the summer sessions.

The last day of finals for the spring semester is May 7th.
  • May 13th -24th, Maymester.
  • Summer 6-week session #1, May 20th - June 28th. Overlaps one week with Maymester classes.
  • Summer 6-week session #2, July 1st - August 9th. Will this overlap with the first week of fall camp?
There doesn't appear to be much time off for the young men on this team; one week after finals until Maymester and the 4th of July weekend. The culture is changing. Get on board or get out of the way.

I think by now everyone on this board has heard of DART, but have you heard about Commitment, Care and Trust
  • Are you committed to what we are trying to do?
  • Do you care?
  • Can we trust you?

I understand HCFB also wants to move practices to the afternoon in the fall. This could be an interesting transition cause practices are currently in the mornings and classes are in the afternoons. Moving practices to the afternoon would mean classes would be concentrated in the morning which will be interesting again because of class availability.

"Syracuse 60". I had not heard of this before this interview. Through alumni and community resources the goal will be to secure employment for players within 60 days of graduation. That would be incredible!

I love his energy and his ambition.
When he goes into a players home his honesty has to resonate with the players and Parents.

If the 1-year hired guns that we seem destined to buy in the hoops portal would get out in the community like Fran’s guys, it would go a ways to helping fans rally around their short stints here.
Winning would do more.

You could definitely see why Pete has had some scoops on SU football. Those guys are right, which I never would have guessed.

Pete is going to break every big story on the program. Book it.
I remember the back and forth in the Alford thread about Thamel where I said Pete’s really connected… I think it’s safe to say those people should take back their wishes for Fran to fire whoever talked to Thamel about Alford - because there’s a decent chance it was him lol

Lots to chew on from that interview. One think that struck me how he talks about how you treat others. It’s hard to treat coaches respectfully if you don’t give them your trust.

So I don’t think it’s unusual to express your trust treating them as adults and of course allow them to talk to reporters.

Which made me think about how coaches under Dino may half felt knowing their boss didn’t allow them to talk to reporters.

Some may have appreciated not having to talk to them, while others may have felt belittled.

Lots to chew on from that interview. One think that struck me how he talks about how you treat others. It’s hard to treat coaches respectfully if you don’t give them your trust.

So I don’t think it’s unusual to express your trust treating them as adults and of course allow them to talk to reporters.

Which made me think about how coaches under Dino may half felt knowing their boss didn’t allow them to talk to reporters.

Some may have appreciated not having to talk to them, while others may have felt belittled.
I think you're right. Dino didn't handle the pressure well or the bad luck that caused some of it. Coach Brown says a lot of things that are genuine and not only thoughtful, but make us thoughtful as well, not the least of which is to examine how supportive of a fan I am. I took one thing away from this interview that hadn't yet crossed my mind. I see him as someone who knows he can really only control how far he himself can go. His drive, his effort, his learning and so on. Leading by example, Brown believes he will move others onto his plane. The staff, the players, the student body, NY's high school coaches, and yep, fans like me, I guess. I think he's right, too.
And I thought I was excited last year.

Honestly I took away business leadership lessons from his two podcast appearances. There’s a lot to learn from FB. He’s an impressive man in such an unexpected way.

The stuff he’s been through in life - the rawness he talked about crying because he didn’t have parents at his games at colleges. It really got to me. Loved it.

Quick cool thing about Fran- he has been visiting local businesses like crazy. For those that have purchased tickets or donated, he stops by to say thanks and meet everyone. If he stops by a business that doesn’t donate or have tickets, he has asked politely, what can I do to earn your support and what can we do together to be one? This guy is out and about constantly. I have a friend who has never had season tickets ever. He walked into his business, talked to him for 15 minutes and then he bought $15,000 worth of season tickets because “he was that damn impressive”. We are super lucky to have Fran in the community the way he is. Love it

He almost doesn’t seem real. He seems to have thought of almost everything. He’s an amazing person and I really hope he is successful here. I know we haven’t played a game yet but you can almost get a sense that he will be. He’s just a great leader. I don’t think I have ever seen anyone like him

Quick cool thing about Fran- he has been visiting local businesses like crazy. For those that have purchased tickets or donated, he stops by to say thanks and meet everyone. If he stops by a business that doesn’t donate or have tickets, he has asked politely, what can I do to earn your support and what can we do together to be one? This guy is out and about constantly. I have a friend who has never had season tickets ever. He walked into his business, talked to him for 15 minutes and then he bought $15,000 worth of season tickets because “he was that damn impressive”. We are super lucky to have Fran in the community the way he is. Love it
And that’s how he wins recruits too. :) he’s a special dude. You get him in the room with someone, he seals the deal. I’ve encountered one person in my business career like that. They’re truly unique but when you see it, you get it. It’s just hard to describe. The thing I love about FB is he’s authentic in how he does it. He’s got an opportunity and he’s not going to waste it. All you can control is your effort and nobody is going to outwork him. That’s the part I respect and appreciate the most.

He has me so pumped up that I want to dust off some old weights, get a quick pump in and run to his office offering to play, only for him to probably call the police on me, but I haven’t been this pumped up for football since the McNabb years.

It’s amazing the situation that it appears we have stumbled into with Fran Brown leading the way. I don’t think someone could have dreamed up a better hire than what he has brought before us so far. Can’t wait to see him deliver a successful season and parlay that into a hell of a recruiting class for 2025. Building off of the impressive work one the 2024 class that he is still finishing up as well. An amazing feat in such a short period of time. The kids that have us in their top tier of schools right now is impressive. He won’t close on all the kids but when he gets these kids to visit he’ll get his fair share. The future looks very very bright.

Last edited:
So he bought a whole section for himself? Did FB scare him into thinking he’ll need the extra legroom like on those American Airline flights?

Does he golf? Will I see him at Onondaga GC? Lots of money playing there

Just watched it, good stuff, Loved the fact , when asked about the schedule, Fran said he isn’t thinking about it at all. Focus is 100 % on spring ball.
Yes, but more importantly, has anyone asked him about how he feels about our uniforms? Is he a OBO guy, or is some other combination better suited to his taste?

Just kidding, people!
(I personally think he would be an OBO guy...but let's not start a thread about it)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom