he didnt know... (Bowen of Louisville) | Syracusefan.com

he didnt know... (Bowen of Louisville)

Not sure what this means for the player and UofL. Their interim president seems anti-athletics. From article on ESPN...

Louisville freshman Brian Bowen has been cleared by the FBI, Bowen's lawyer told the Louisville Courier-Journal on Thursday. The school now has the option to consider reinstating Bowen, whom it suspended following the FBI investigation into corruption in college basketball.

Through a school spokesman, Louisville declined to comment to ESPN, citing the ongoing federal investigation. Bowen has remained enrolled at the school.

Federal documents allege that Adidas funneled $100,000 to an unnamed player -- later identified as Bowen -- to sign with Louisville, at the request of a Cardinals coach. Bowen's lawyer has maintained his client was not privy to the bribe, which allegedly went to Brian Bowen Sr.

"Brian was not aware of any of the alleged activities," Jason Setchen told the Courier-Journal, "and it is our position that he has not violated any NCAA rules or bylaws. ... It is unfair to Brian or any student-athlete to try and punish them for actions of others who are not in their control."

Stands to reason. Nobody gives that kind of money to an 18 year old kid.

We're talking FBI here not some NCAA twit.

His dad can take money with him knowing. Theres two possibilities here:

1. He knew and he went there to get the family money
2. He didnt know and he coincidentally accepted the scholarship at lville

2. while possible, doesnt seem to jive with the flow of his recruitment

So, as I understand the NCAA. Money to parents okay, as long as kid is not directly part of process

No show classes okay, ad long as non athletes can go, too.
Good for you, NCAA
FBI cleared him, not NCAA

If I was a recruit I would blatantly be asking teams for money at this point. The FBI will turn their attention elsewhere and the NCAA aren't going to do anything.

Like in Good Will Hunting:

Retainer. Retainer. Retainer retainer retainer... Retainer!

So, as I understand the NCAA. Money to parents okay, as long as kid is not directly part of process

Good for you, NCAA
I thought the NCAA closed this loophole after the Cam Newton fiasco.

I still think the depth of evidence in this case was overstated by the Feds. Grab some headlines and fade away. To turn their quote from their presser on them "we have seen their playbook and know how they operate".

The headline seems to be a little bit of a leap. I saw nothing in the story indicating Bowen was cleared of wrong doing by the FBI. He is just "out of the crosshairs of the FBI's bribery investigation into college basketball." Further, the FBI has not commented, it is just his attorney. It could very well be that Bowen, as the recipient of the money, is not the focus of the investigation and now that the FBI has his statement, they have cut him loose.

The headline seems to be a little bit of a leap. I saw nothing in the story indicating Bowen was cleared of wrong doing by the FBI. He is just "out of the crosshairs of the FBI's bribery investigation into college basketball." Further, the FBI has not commented, it is just his attorney. It could very well be that Bowen, as the recipient of the money, is not the focus of the investigation and now that the FBI has his statement, they have cut him loose.
Yes.
And, again, it would be extremely risky for any school to even consider letting him play at this point.

I still think the depth of evidence in this case was overstated by the Feds. Grab some headlines and fade away. To turn their quote from their presser on them "we have seen their playbook and know how they operate".
If you're Nike, you're hoping that's the case. I don't think they're done.

Good for you, NCAA

Next thing you know, the NCAA will adopt the transference principle of winning games. If Cuse beats Gonzaga and Gonzaga beats Duke, then Syracuse beats Duke. No needed to have conference games and March Madness. Just need a sample size of maybe 10-15 games. The rest figures itself out.

That may yet prove to be the case.
But the article is just about the FBI clearing the player...meaning he won't be criminally charged.
We don't know what the NCAA will say...except that it likely will be irrational.