He Should Coach As Long As He Wants | Syracusefan.com

He Should Coach As Long As He Wants

Longtimesu

Scout Team
So much being said about coach and retirement.

He should go. No he should stay. He’s too old. He’s not being fair to Hop. He should enjoy life. He doesn’t need the money.

Look, if he wants to stay…so be it. And age should not be a factor if he still enjoys coaching.

I’m 69, and still working my business. I love it. I’m blessed to be doing what I’m doing. I would like to work till I’m 90...or more.

Is my hearing going ? Yup!

Are my eyes not as sharp as in the past? Yup!

Do I forget stuff? Yup!

Do I have family and friends telling me I should retire? Yup!

But screw them. I go when I want to go.

There’s a BIG difference when you work a job that you hate, and you can’t wait till your retired. Unless you’re in his shoes you can’t understand what Boeheim is feeling about his job, or his position regarding retirement.

So much being said about coach and retirement.

He should go. No he should stay. He’s too old. He’s not being fair to Hop. He should enjoy life. He doesn’t need the money.

Look, if he wants to stay…so be it. And age should not be a factor if he still enjoys coaching.

I’m 69, and still working my business. I love it. I’m blessed to be doing what I’m doing. I would like to work till I’m 90...or more.

Is my hearing going ? Yup!

Are my eyes not as sharp as in the past? Yup!

Do I forget stuff? Yup!

Do I have family and friends telling me I should retire? Yup!

But screw them. I go when I want to go.

There’s a BIG difference when you work a job that you hate, and you can’t wait till your retired. Unless you’re in his shoes you can’t understand what Boeheim is feeling about his job, or his position regarding retirement.
I'm glad your still working and enjoying life. I also love my job although I'm only 37 so retirement is a ways off. One difference I did want to point out which is a substantial one is that you own your business and that is great but Jim Boeheim did build the program and I love him but he doesn't own it or the university. If you worked for someone else and were approaching 70 and your eyes were going and your memory were going you are costing other people. It's a different situation.

From everything I read, JB is coaching as long as he wants to. This secession plan has been in place a couple of years. He's had plenty of time to impact the plan.

The ones that ought to be nervous about this is the AD and the university hierarchy. SU basketball IS the goose that lays the golden eggs for the SU Athletic Deprtment. With JB they know what they have and with Hopkins it's more of a role of the dice.

From everything I read, JB is coaching as long as he wants to. This secession plan has been in place a couple of years. He's had plenty of time to impact the plan.

The ones that ought to be nervous about this is the AD and the university hierarchy. SU basketball IS the goose that lays the golden eggs for the SU Athletic Deprtment. With JB they know what they have and with Hopkins it's more of a role of the dice.
I hesitate to even ask this question but when you say everything I read. What exactly are you referring to? Did you read an article of some kind? I'm sure the AD and athletic department and university in general are worried but that doesn't change the age of Jim Boeheim and the fact it's not realistic to expect him to do it forever. He is 72 years old.

The football team generated 6.4 million more than Basketball last year.

Don't nit pick

maxresdefault.jpg

Lol, a few years? Has been about 10 at this point and its comical that Hop is still around waiting for HIS day. Surprised he hasn't jetted by now. Then again, he does love the university. The whole situation is a joke. I agree JB should coach for as long as he wants he has earned that. As soon as we play a bit of man and show some spacing and motion on offense, then it's time to retire;)

Doesn't sound right to me.

SU basketball drew about 500,000 paying customers. The football team drew less than 200,000.

Basketball made money They increased the number of home basketball games to offset shortfalls in football revenue.

SU basketball drew about 500,000 paying customers. The football team drew less than 200,000.

Basketball made money They increased the number of home basketball games to offset shortfalls in football revenue.
So you think that we are adding basketball games to raise more money in the hopes of breaking even with our football program? I'm honestly trying to understand. I think this is the craziest thing I have ever heard.

Attendance is only a small part of the pie. Its about the ACC $$$ that the athletic program brings in per the fb program. Shared conference revenue in a P5 Power fb conference.

How much leash does Hop get from AD? My guess, if he doesn't make NCAAT for first 2 seasons, AD makes a change to a proven HC. I'm rooting for Hop but we can't let program deteriorate.

How much leash does Hop get from AD? My guess, if he doesn't make NCAAT for first 2 seasons, AD makes a change to a proven HC. I'm rooting for Hop but we can't let program deteriorate.
I think he probably gets a minimum of 3 years.

Typical under thinking of a concept.

The football team has 85 scholarships. Basketball has like 12. SUs total cost is about $60k a year. That's $5.1 million of costs. Football has a huge staff (35 people listed) Basketball has six. That's another $1 fo $2 million cost difference.

Basketball makes the money at SU. Right now it's the only profitable program.

So you think that we are adding basketball games to raise more money in the hopes of breaking even with our football program? I'm honestly trying to understand. I think this is the craziest thing I have ever heard.
It may be crazy to you. But it's the truth.

Typical under thinking of a concept.

The football team has 85 scholarships. Basketball has like 12. SUs total cost is about $60k a year. That's $5.1 million of costs. Football has a huge staff (35 people listed) Basketball has six. That's another $1 fo $2 million cost difference.

Basketball makes the money at SU. Right now it's the only profitable program.

6.4 million more in profit. Should have said that in the original post.

Is it a more efficient profit meaning less moving parts, no, but it's still larger and something that would debunk the basketball program being called the "golden egg".

Revenue - Costs = Profit

Our low attendance makes SU football a net loser.

Yet we make more profit with football. If that was the case, why did we leave the big east? Wasn't for basketball.

Its a mess bc as much as I like Hop, have never thought he was HC material. Look at all the "coaches in waiting" ...they get their gig in 2-4 yrs, are obvious leaders and do well. Not sure where our future is with Hop. Not impressed.

6.4 million more in profit. Should have said that in the original post.

Is it a more efficient profit meaning less moving parts, no, but it's still larger and something that would debunk the basketball program being called the "golden egg".

Revenue - Costs = Profit

Our low attendance makes SU football a net loser.

Nope, you are wrong. Attendance doesn't matter much un the p5 conferences. Its gravy. We get our athletic $$$ up front from the conference fb affiliation. End of story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom