He wants to play in front of ailing grandma, Tim Floyd says no to transfer | Syracusefan.com

He wants to play in front of ailing grandma, Tim Floyd says no to transfer

I think Floyd is in the right here. To avoid team chemistry issues I'd let him go. But I'd ban him from transferring to UCLA and USC. If he wants his grandmother to see him play that badly in person he can transfer to Loyola Marymount.

"I'm sorry his grandmother is having health problems," Floyd said. "But what I'm doing I'm doing for UTEP and for everyone else. The NLI is in place so you can field a team. Young people don't have to sign a national letter of intent. You can sign a scholarship paper. The policy is in place to protect the institutions after they've spent all this money in recruiting and built their schedule around and turned down other players."

I think Floyd is in the right here. To avoid team chemistry issues I'd let him go. But I'd ban him from transferring to UCLA and USC. If he wants his grandmother to see him play that badly in person he can transfer to Loyola Marymount.

And coaches can leave whenever they want without any regard to their institution or the players they recruited.

This is never a black and white issue. Sometimes a player uses a sick family member in order to jump ship to a school where they would simply rather play. Oftentimes, this happens when the preferred school wasn't interested originally but through a change in circumstances (a transfer, ineligibility, early NBA entry) they now want the player. We had this issue 17 years ago.

This is never a black and white issue. Sometimes a player uses a sick family member in order to jump ship to a school where they would simply rather play. Oftentimes, this happens when the preferred school wasn't interested originally but through a change in circumstances (a transfer, ineligibility, early NBA entry) they now want the player. We had this issue 17 years ago.
And JB knew that was tempering because Harrick was dirty.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Here's a question. Why didn't he want to play in front of his grandma before she was ailing?

Here's a question. Why didn't he want to play in front of his grandma before she was ailing?

I'll admit I don't know the whole story, but you don't think there is more urgency to a situation when someone is really sick and may not have a lot of time left to live? (Like i said, I don't know the whole story about how sick she really is.) But we shouldn't act like it's not a legitimate potential game changer. (And let's also not pretend, of course, that people haven't used it as an excuse to transfer either)

I'll admit I don't know the whole story, but you don't think there is more urgency to a situation when someone is really sick and may not have a lot of time left to live? (Like i said, I don't know the whole story about how sick she really is.) But we shouldn't act like it's not a legitimate potential game changer. (And let's also not pretend, of course, that people haven't used it as an excuse to transfer either)

All I know is there seems to be some sort of superbug among the families of major college players' families in recent years.

For some people there might be more urgency. Maybe I'm wired differently, but if I'm not close with someone when they're healthy, disease doesn't suddenly change things without some other circumstances accompanying it. I have an ailing Grandmother I've never been that close to. When I go home for a visit I don't feel compelled to spend more time with her than I did 10 years ago when she was in better health, but, like I said, that could be just me. My feeling here, and I could be completely wrong, is that this is just an excuse to go to a different school without having to sit out, just as someone already suggested.

And JB knew that was tempering because Harrick was dirty.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Yep. Olujimi Mann failed to qualify so he turned to Jason Hart's family and started putting pressure on him to back out of his committ to SU. Harrick was an A-1 scumbag. That incident was one of the main reasons they sent him packing. Expense reports my arse!

It sickens me to think we could have prevented his one and only national title if Moten hadn't called a timeout. No way that UCLA team would have beat us. We could have beaten all the teams left in the field at that point.

For some people there might be more urgency. Maybe I'm wired differently, but if I'm not close with someone when they're healthy, disease doesn't suddenly change things without some other circumstances accompanying it. I have an ailing Grandmother I've never been that close to. When I go home for a visit I don't feel compelled to spend more time with her than I did 10 years ago when she was in better health, but, like I said, that could be just me. My feeling here, and I could be completely wrong, is that this is just an excuse to go to a different school without having to sit out, just as someone already suggested.

I get that, and I'm definitely not naive enough to think that this doesn't happen a lot in the game, and could absolutely be the case here as well.

But I wouldn't necessarily say that he isn't close with her. Once again, with the caveat that my entire knowledge of this situation is based off the Katz article linked, the grandmother lives in LA, which is where the Hamilton family lives. I guess I would say that just because he didn't originally go to college near where she was (and his parents) doesn't mean he isn't close with her. (It doesn't mean he is close with her either)

It sickens me to think we could have prevented his one and only national title if Moten hadn't called a timeout. No way that UCLA team would have beat us. We could have beaten all the teams left in the field at that point.

Is that the same team that beat 10 seed Southern Illinois by 4 and lost to Providence 10 days earlier? I think they could have lost to UVa as likely as they could've run the table.

That 1995 team is excessively glorified.

I get that, and I'm definitely not naive enough to think that this doesn't happen a lot in the game, and could absolutely be the case here as well.

But I wouldn't necessarily say that he isn't close with her. Once again, with the caveat that my entire knowledge of this situation is based off the Katz article linked, the grandmother lives in LA, which is where the Hamilton family lives. I guess I would say that just because he didn't originally go to college near where she was (and his parents) doesn't mean he isn't close with her. (It doesn't mean he is close with her either)
I don't know how close he is. My point is, if attending games is the priority now, it should've been then also. If it wasn't then, it shouldn't be now. If he wants to go home to be closer to her and spend more time with her, he can transfer and sit out a year. It's not like ball is being taken away forever, and if family is the priority 1 year is a small price to pay. Actually, sitting out a year would give him more time to spend with her.

Is that the same team that beat 10 seed Southern Illinois by 4 and lost to Providence 10 days earlier? I think they could have lost to UVa as likely as they could've run the table.

I hear what you're saying, but UVA did not have the inside game to counter JDub and Otis Hill, nor were they a good matchup for the zone. If any team would have taken us out, it would have been UNC. Even the experts at the time felt SU would have given UVA fits. Oh well, c'est la vie.

I agree. The '96 team was better than '95 because Wallace was a stud, Sims finally had a chance to run the team, and Hill came into his own, and they still overachieved to make the finals that year.

This just made me feel incredibly old.

I don't know how close he is. My point is, if attending games is the priority now, it should've been then also. If it wasn't then, it shouldn't be now. If he wants to go home to be closer to her and spend more time with her, he can transfer and sit out a year. It's not like ball is being taken away forever, and if family is the priority 1 year is a small price to pay. Actually, sitting out a year would give him more time to spend with her.

I guess I just don't agree on the first point. If the grandmother has been given 12 months to live, I think her attending games becomes more of a priority than otherwise.

I want to make it clear I am speaking more generally. I don't pretend to know the nuts and bolts of this situation, and either does anyone else here. I think, in general, I think a very sick family member is a legit reason to want to transfer schools. (And I also don't think a kid should have to give up a year of career development time to do so just because his career happens to be basketball) Whether or not this is happening here, I don't know.

I guess I just don't agree on the first point. If the grandmother has been given 12 months to live, I think her attending games becomes more of a priority than otherwise.

I want to make it clear I am speaking more generally. I don't pretend to know the nuts and bolts of this situation, and either does anyone else here. I think, in general, I think a very sick family member is a legit reason to want to transfer schools. (And I also don't think a kid should have to give up a year of career development time to do so just because his career happens to be basketball) Whether or not this is happening here, I don't know.
Fair enough. My opinion is probably tainted by my assumption that the kid is lying to work the system. But, to be clear, he wouldn't have to give up a year of career development. He'd still be practicing with the team. It worked out just fine for Wes Johnson.

Fair enough. My opinion is probably tainted by my assumption that the kid is lying to work the system. But, to be clear, he wouldn't have to give up a year of career development. He'd still be practicing with the team. It worked out just fine for Wes Johnson.

It's definitely possible he is lying, I have no idea. (Though he is a pretty highly rated recruit, he probably could have gone to SC in the first place, I'd think)

Bu tI think you have a little off. Floyd isn't letting him out of the letter, so I don't think he can could just transfer and sit the year out. Katz said this

Floyd's decision not to release the 6-foot-5 shooting guard doesn't mean Hamilton can't go to a school in the L.A. area, where he lives and played high school basketball at Saint John Bosco. But if he isn't released, or doesn't win an appeal to get out of the NLI (the NLI office handles such matters, not the NCAA), then he would have to pay for his own scholarship next season.

Usually the team allows the kid to transfer, and then he petitions the NCAA for the waiver to play right away. But UTEP didn't agree to the first step yet.

It's definitely possible he is lying, I have no idea. (Though he is a pretty highly rated recruit, he probably could have gone to SC in the first place, I'd think)

Bu tI think you have a little off. Floyd isn't letting him out of the letter, so I don't think he can could just transfer and sit the year out. Katz said this

Usually the team allows the kid to transfer, and then he petitions the NCAA for the waiver to play right away. But UTEP didn't agree to the first step yet.
Oh yeah. During the course of the conversation I forgot that part. My bad. If the kid is on the up and up I would hope Floyd does lets him transfer, but maybe he's got info we don't ala JB with Jason Hart.

I couldn't tell from the article if he is only restricting the player from some schools or all schools. If he believes there has been tampering from specific schools, would not a solution be to block him from going certain schools? I believe the coach can do this - but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I couldn't tell from the article if he is only restricting the player from some schools or all schools. If he believes there has been tampering from specific schools, would not a solution be to block him from going certain schools? I believe the coach can do this - but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I also think it's different, though I could be wrong, because he is a rising frosh, and not already in school.

RE: Providence Moten had the 5-second call brain fart in that BET, Austin Croshere game (I know SU was up 50-37 in that one)

And well, yea. That 96-92 SIU game was just a sick, absolute sick, display of shooting.

We shot 68% from the floor, they shot 66%

Just figured I would mention that.

By the way, the Los Angeles Time is awesome for old articles, I have noticed that.

http://articles.latimes.com/1995-03-18/sports/sp-46355_1_beat-southern-illinois