Women's Volleyball - Head Coach Leonid Yelin Retiring | Syracusefan.com

Women's Volleyball Head Coach Leonid Yelin Retiring

YELIN TO STEP DOWN AFTER A DECADE AT SYRACUSE​

2/22/2022 2:23:00 PM | Volleyball

After 10 years at Syracuse and 30 years as an NCAA head coach, head volleyball coach Leonid Yelin has announced he is stepping down. Yelin was named Syracuse volleyball's head coach in 2012. He came to Syracuse after 15 seasons at Louisville and playing and coaching in Uzbekistan. Yelin, who has a career record of 624-292, led the 2018 Orange to Syracuse's first NCAA tournament berth. The Orange also achieved success in the classroom, posting a perfect Graduation Success Rate in each of Yelin's 10 seasons at Syracuse.

"We appreciate the 10 years Leonid devoted to our student-athletes and our volleyball program," said Director of Athletics John Wildhack. "We wish him, his wife, Yelena, and their family, all the best."

Yelin's coaching resume includes 17 NCAA Tournament invitations and five NCAA Regional semifinals overall. At Syracuse, he mentored three AVCA All-Americans and seven regional All-Americans, 11 All-Atlantic Coast Conference selections, and 16 ACC All-Academic honorees.

"I am grateful for all of the student-athletes and coaches I have worked with through the years, especially the last 10 at Syracuse," Yelin said. "My sincere thanks to everyone at Syracuse University, including the administration and the athletics department leadership and staff. Volleyball has been a part of my life for more than 50 years and has provided so many special friendships and memories which I will always cherish. I am looking forward to spending more time with my family in retirement."

Associate head coach Andrea Beaty will serve as interim head coach while the University conducts a national search to replace Yelin.

Very sad, still nothing? This program was picking up tremendous momentum.

Here is what SU is looking for.

Hopefully they’re willing to pay a salary thats comparable to their ACC peers.

There’s glaring issues with how this program is handled. It’s a huge shame because last year’s girls were talented and very hard workers. The games were fun to attend despite the laughable venue.

There’s glaring issues with how this program is handled. It’s a huge shame because last year’s girls were talented and very hard workers.
Job searches and the interview process can take awhile. You don't want to hire just anyone. And don't go by salaries you may see posted on job recruitment sites. They are usually incorrect.

There’s glaring issues with how this program is handled. It’s a huge shame because last year’s girls were talented and very hard workers. The games were fun to attend despite the laughable venue.
Most of the best players have been from Russia. It will be interesting to see if the new coach has a background in Russia or if we go in a different direction.

Most of the best players have been from Russia. It will be interesting to see if the new coach has a background in Russia or if we go in a different direction.
The bigger question is whether players from Russia will even be able to get here

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom