Headmaster9, Ragman, Obie9 and I just had the three most amazing days in Indy | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Headmaster9, Ragman, Obie9 and I just had the three most amazing days in Indy

That's an interesting thought that I'm sure has pros and cons on either side. I wonder how many major cities in America would be able to make like 8 different basketball arenas in close proximity available for use at the same time. Indy seems potentially unique in that regard.
That's a fascinating question and now I'm going down a rabbit hole. Sorry I don't recall the up-to-date names of all the venues.

NYC could do it except no dome for the Final 4 (have the final 4 in Syracuse???). MSG, Barclay's, the Rock, new Islander's arena, Alumni Hall, the RAC, maybe even Hartford Civic Center, or Albany? Would be cool to have a NCAA tourney event in a historic arena like Rose Hill at Fordham but it's probably too small.

Other than NYC, I will skip any cities than don't have Dome Stadiums for the Final 4. I think most cities with Domes could probably handle it. Criteria was within a 2 hour drive of the host city. Not factoring in potential NBA/NHL schedule conflicts.

LA: new Rams stadium, Staples, the Forum (and then later what the Clippers plan to build). Pauley Pavilion, USC's arena, the Anaheim Pond, Pepperdine, UCSB, Long Beach State, and I'm sure others.

Houston: Texan's Stadium, Astros Stadium, Rockets, U of Houston, Texas A&M, Rice, UT-Austin.

Phoenix: Cardinals Stadium, Diamondbacks Stadium, Suns Arena, Hockey Arena, ASU, U of A,

DFW: JerryWorld, Mavericks arena, Texas Rangers new Stadium, TCU, SMU, Baylor

DETROIT: Ford Field, Red Wings/Pistons arena, UofM, Eastern Michigan, Oakland, Detroit Mercy,

ATLANTA: Mercedes Benz Dome, Hawks, GaTech, UGA, Georgia State, Auburn (AL), Chattanooga (TN)

New Orleans: SuperDome, Pelicans Arena, LSU, UNO, Tulane, Southern U, SE Louisiana U,

LAS VEGAS: The Death Star (Raiders Stadium), MGM Arena, Golden Knights Arena, Thomas & Mack, Orleans Arena, MSG Sphere (2023 - might not handle basketball),

MILWAUKEE: Miller Park (not sure if it could handle the Final 4), Bucks Arena, UW-Madison, UW-Green Bay, and you may be able to dip into Chicago for the early rounds.

TAMPA: Tropicana Field, USF, UCF, Orlando Magic, U of Florida, Disney arena(s)

MIAMI: Marlins Park (not sure it could handle Final 4), Heat Arena, Panthers Arena, U of M, Florida International, Florida Atlantic.

That's a fascinating question and now I'm going down a rabbit hole. Sorry I don't recall the up-to-date names of all the venues.

NYC could do it except no dome for the Final 4 (have the final 4 in Syracuse???). MSG, Barclay's, the Rock, new Islander's arena, Alumni Hall, the RAC, maybe even Hartford Civic Center, or Albany? Would be cool to have a NCAA tourney event in a historic arena like Rose Hill at Fordham but it's probably too small.

Other than NYC, I will skip any cities than don't have Dome Stadiums for the Final 4. I think most cities with Domes could probably handle it. Criteria was within a 2 hour drive of the host city. Not factoring in potential NBA/NHL schedule conflicts.

LA: new Rams stadium, Staples, the Forum (and then later what the Clippers plan to build). Pauley Pavilion, USC's arena, the Anaheim Pond, Pepperdine, UCSB, Long Beach State, and I'm sure others.

Houston: Texan's Stadium, Astros Stadium, Rockets, U of Houston, Texas A&M, Rice, UT-Austin.

Phoenix: Cardinals Stadium, Diamondbacks Stadium, Suns Arena, Hockey Arena, ASU, U of A,

DETROIT: Ford Field, Red Wings/Pistons arena, UofM, Eastern Michigan, Oakland, Detroit Mercy,

ATLANTA: Mercedes Benz Dome, Hawks, GaTech, UGA, Georgia State, Auburn (AL), Chattanooga (TN)

New Orleans: SuperDome, Pelicans Arena, LSU, UNO, Tulane, Southern U, SE Louisiana U,

LAS VEGAS: The Death Star (Raiders Stadium), MGM Arena, Golden Knights Arena, Thomas & Mack, Orleans Arena, MSG Sphere (2023 - might not handle basketball),

MILWAUKEE: Miller Park (not sure if it could handle the Final 4), Bucks Arena, UW-Madison, UW-Green Bay, and you may be able to dip into Chicago for the early rounds.

MIAMI: Marlins Park (not sure it could handle Final 4), Heat Arena, Panthers Arena, U of M, Florida International, Florida Atlantic.
I think the biggest argument for not having it in one location (during non-pandemic conditions) is that some of these secondary arenas are small, with no luxury suites and just simply wouldn't be able to meet the attendance demands of a normal tourney crowd. Also, I have to imagine it would be logistically impossible for most metro areas to have enough hotel space for that many teams fans.

Last edited:
That's an interesting thought that I'm sure has pros and cons on either side. I wonder how many major cities in America would be able to make like 8 different basketball arenas in close proximity available for use at the same time. Indy seems potentially unique in that regard.
I like it too, from a tv watching standpoint as the games don't get pushed back due to the prior game running long. But, in a normal year the teams go back to their campuses during the week, so it wouldn't make sense in that regard.

Another thing I will add is that the San Diego State fans put the West Virginia fans to shame. The SDSU fans were loud and cheering hard even when they were getting killed, I literally only heard the West Virginia fans in that 5 minutes span where it was tied and they took the lead (other than the obnoxious fans sitting behind us).
But did you tinkle at the Hinkle?

The university had sent out a donor email, and they had almost no tickets for general fans for the first rounds. I think it said families only, but obviously there are some who were going to get them and not all player families could go. I think it said there would be more for the sweet 16.

The university had sent out a donor email, and they had almost no tickets for general fans for the first rounds. I think it said families only, but obviously there are some who were going to get them and not all player families could go. I think it said there would be more for the sweet 16.
Correction. Only the women's games are for players families. The university will not have tickets for any donors until the Final Four. It was different for men's but the donor thing is already closed. You have to call the dome box office starting at 3pm eastern time, I think.

I was joking that I only want to attend basketball games in pandemics now. No people behind or in front of you kicking your seat or spilling beer on you, you can stand when you want without fear of being annoying, easy parking with no lines when leaving the stadium, no waits in the bathroom, and the players connect with you because they can actually hear and respond to you. It's amazing.
But did they have troughs is the real question o have.

For Tampa, skip UF, go to Amalie Arena (downtown Tampa home of the Lightning; hosted Women's Final Four or a regional.. nice venue), keeps everything on I-4

I have literally known him since he was born. As I have frequently said, he has always been the nicest kid in the world.
except when he is raining three's and telling the guy guarding him that he has no chance to stop it

Seriously, you can see it in the post game interviews - incredibly respectful, always gives props to teammates, very thoughtful responses, great analysis - you can just tell he will be a great coach someday. To be able to work his way to be this level of a player is very refreshing when you see a lot of kids throw it away. He is literally the slowest guy on the court every time he plays. That is a huge hurdle to overcome.

except when he is raining three's and telling the guy guarding him that he has no chance to stop it

Seriously, you can see it in the post game interviews - incredibly respectful, always gives props to teammates, very thoughtful responses, great analysis - you can just tell he will be a great coach someday. To be able to work his way to be this level of a player is very refreshing when you see a lot of kids throw it away. He is literally the slowest guy on the court every time he plays. That is a huge hurdle to overcome.
I counted in one of the recent long interviews he gave. He said “um” once and “you know” once. Everything else was polished. Not an easy thing for a kid to do, especially after a big win.

Curious, for those who did go, how did the COVID protocol go? Did you have to test ahead of arriving to Indy? Rapid test on site?

Quick temperature check at the arena door (thermometer to the forehead). That was all.

Simple! A COVID test wouldn't keep me from going, but hadn't seen what measures Indy/NCAA was taking for these games.

Strange. I didn't get an email. Only at the beginning of the tourney about tickets. I should be getting one according to my points status. Hmmm.

Questionable 11th seed and underdogs in two games. — and now we’re going to come back to Indy for them Sweet 16!

Hinkle Field House, and then the Pacers’ arena. Both barely 20 percent full — but the cries of “Let’s Go Orange” filled both of them. Everyone knew we were there.

I’ve been attending NCAA tourney games since 1987, but this was unbelievably different from any others.

Don’t know how it looked or sounded on TV, but it was kind of special in person. My bracket is in shreds, but I don’t care.
Just curious, outside of attending the games, what is there actually to DO when the games aren't being played?

When my son and I went to Houston in 2016, we spent a ton of time at the Fan Zone and we (he, especially) had a blast.

I assume that there aren't any of the traditional activities associated with NCAA tourney games since there are almost no fans.

So, is it just sit in hotel until game time or is there actually other stuff to do?

Just curious, outside of attending the games, what is there actually to DO when the games aren't being played?

When my son and I went to Houston in 2016, we spent a ton of time at the Fan Zone and we (he, especially) had a blast.

I assume that there aren't any of the traditional activities associated with NCAA tourney games since there are almost no fans.

So, is it just sit in hotel until game time or is there actually other stuff to do?
You are correct. There are no organized fan activities in Indy. We were at a hotel in Carmel (no room at the inn in Indy last weekend because 60-plus teams had made reservations before we knew we were in the tournament). On one day, we did a delightful walking tour of the area near the hotel .. and round a cute tavern where we ate, drank and watched games in the afternoon. On another day we toured the Butler campus, and had lunch at a cute place near Hinkle Field House. There may be "tourist attractions" in Indy, but we did not try to find any.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom