Hearing random comments about big 12… | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hearing random comments about big 12…

1. The ACC took Cal, Stanford, SMU because they want nothing to do with the B12 schools. They rather have an all academic conference.

2. The B12 having any interest in Wake whatsoever is laughable. If you are seeing that from someone, stop following said person.

3. The ACC is more likely to raid the B12 at this point even with some ACC teams leaving.
Well blue blood bias is one of the worst college football twitter feeds out there so it lines up that this would be a bunch of nonsense.

It was the same feed that said Prime was in the running for coach of the year because Colorado went from 1 to 4 wins…..

Ever since the UT and OU move to leave the Big 12, a cottage industry has sprung up to talk about re-alignment among left-behind Big 12 fans on youtube basically every day of the year Ad infinitum. These guys are hugely biased about how superior the Big 12 is vs the ACC. At the same time, they are talking lustfully about trying add a lot of ACC schools to the Big 12. Kind of funny, kind of sad. They are easy to find on youtube; it's been going on there for a few years now.

I'm more sad the the Pac12 has been destroyed.

Doesn't the crappy Big 12 Conference get more TV money than the ACC? Since the ACC invited 4 Pac 12 teams (or however many it was), who's to say they wouldn't try to push some of us out?

Big 12 keeps us at the P4 Table, at least, and might even be a pay raise. If it was Syr, Wake, Va Tech and Miami, and Big 12 already has WVU, Cincinnati, Central Florida, Kansas, Baylor, Houston and BYU (and the lesser Texas schools). It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Doesn't the crappy Big 12 Conference get more TV money than the ACC? Since the ACC invited 4 Pac 12 teams (or however many it was), who's to say they wouldn't try to push some of us out?

Big 12 keeps us at the P4 Table, at least, and might even be a pay raise. If it was Syr, Wake, Va Tech and Miami, and Big 12 already has WVU, Cincinnati, Central Florida, Kansas, Baylor, Houston and BYU (and the lesser Texas schools). It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
No they dont

Seeing random comments around Twitter and YouTube big12 video's about Cuse, wake forest, Miami, vpi and a few other ACC teams talking to the big 12 about joining. I doubt there is anything there, but found it odd and interesting.
hope it is true and hope it includes pitt. pitt will eventually end up in big 10

McAfee is an amazing human being. Careful..
Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

hope it is true and hope it includes pitt. pitt will eventually end up in big 10

Pitt doesn't really fit into the B18 in any way. I can see them as a filler but never a target.

1. The ACC took Cal, Stanford, SMU because they want nothing to do with the B12 schools. They rather have an all academic conference.

2. The B12 having any interest in Wake whatsoever is laughable. If you are seeing that from someone, stop following said person.

3. The ACC is more likely to raid the B12 at this point even with some ACC teams leaving.

The Big12 has a GOR. Once that expires in '29 (I think) you'll see some type of merger.

Separately, imo, the ACC needs to be proactive with the 24 team super conference; that a) might keep it intact and b) buffers the future loss of the teams we all think will eventually leave.

The Big12 has a GOR. Once that expires in '29 (I think) you'll see some type of merger.

Separately, imo, the ACC needs to be proactive with the 24 team super conference; that a) might keep it intact and b) buffers the future loss of the teams we all think will eventually leave.

24 might be too big. I think taking some combo or all of Arizona State, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, TCU, Baylor makes sense. That gives you 24 assuming no ACC schools leave and Notre Dame joins. More likely the ACC will lose teams and be at 18 or 20.

When the conference realignment carousel starts moving again in another 5-6 years as the expiration of the grant of rights gets closer, it'll be the ACC doing the poaching of Big 12 schools, not the other way around. The ACC is the one with the conference network, which makes money and gives teams exposure. Hopefully the ACC is being proactive and studying the best teams and fits (from sports success and commitment, to geography and academics) from the teams in the Big 12. It will depend in part of whether they think FSU and Clemson pursue the Big 10 or SEC in the early 2030s as the grant of rights gets closer to expiration. Potential teams would be Central Florida, South Florida, Houston, Baylor, TCU, Kansas, Arizona, Utah, Arizona State, Colorado, Cincinnati, WVU.

Yeah, we earn less than the Big 12. Who's laughing now?

Yeah, we earn less than the Big 12. Who's laughing now?

The B12 avg over the life of their new contract is $31.5M per team. ACC is expected to hit that this year and go up every year.

Their contract is also up after the 2030 season, which is 5 years earlier than the ACC. That could be a good thing or it could be a bad thing (see the PAC).

Hearing we may have a B12 team added to our schedule next season … a return to upstate ny for a well respected coach.

Pitt doesn't really fit into the B18 in any way. I can see them as a filler but never a target.
big time research school, excellent med school, agree as far as number of students much smaller.

The B12 avg over the life of their new contract is $31.5M per team. ACC is expected to hit that this year and go up every year.

Their contract is also up after the 2030 season, which is 5 years earlier than the ACC. That could be a good thing or it could be a bad thing (see the PAC).
You are "right on the money"! (Ha Ha!) The last payout to ACC teams ranged from $39 to 42 million - and it will go up a lot this year. That current $31.5 million Big 12 quote is far below that - their payout per team was more when they had only 10 members. (Your detractor should know how that works - you take LESS $$ than the ACC gets but divide that smaller payout by 10 not 14 so the per team payout is bigger.) UT and OU kept it that way but they will be gone soon. UT and their Longhorn network (thanks, ESPN/s) were always part of the problem when the Big 8 took in those 4 SWC teams but that is another story. (I would not be surprised to learn that ESPN greenlighted their transition to the $EC to cancel that network and cut their losses.) Also, as I recall, ESPN made a $30 million per team offer to the Pac12 after (or before?) U$C and UCLA said they were leaving which is in the ballpark for the Big 12 number.

Last edited:
The ACC will remain ahead of the Big12 but to be fair the number above is just the media rights deal. With NCAA BB and CFP $$ the number will be "get close to $50 million annually".

What SMU said gives us a clue about other ACC $$$. As they said, they are not getting "nothing"! They will get NCAA BB and CFP $$, about $9 million a year, close to what they get from the AAC right now. Adding that to the numbers above from last year means the ACC would range from at least $48 to $51 million already, not counting the bonanza from "rebates" from the three new teams! I recall the ESPN contract is back loaded with payouts increasing every year which means payouts from this year will be larger. The ACC's "jewel in the crown" is its TV Network, which the Big 12 does not have. With increased carriage from more TV cable providers plus the addition of schools in California and Texas, this network will be "the goose that laid the golden eggs". Of course, most school income is said to arise from ticket sales and donations which gives an advantage to larger schools or those with wealthier alumni.

What this means to me is that all Power 4 conferences will be in strong positions, regardless of SEC homers and Big10 detractors. The "money is everything" philosophy is not good as it leads to antisocial behavior. As someone said here, some of the people in conferences and schools would push elderly relatives down a flight of stairs if there was more money in it for them.

I will add my minority view that the three new schools will rampage through the ACC next year. One may even get to the conference championship game. Their addition will be a bigger shock than when FSU which joined in 1991 began to play FB in 1992. A lot can change in 5 years, during which this conference will be much stronger.

I am no expert on this stuff so don't beat me up too badly for this post!
If super conferences are the future, does a Big12 ACC merger make sense?
Apologies if this has already been covered.

I am no expert on this stuff so don't beat me up too badly for this post!
If super conferences are the future, does a Big12 ACC merger make sense?
Apologies if this has already been covered.
The ACC should make a play for programs like WVU, UC, Ok ST and TCU as soon as their GOR expires. Be the aggressor for a change. And no, I don't consider going after the scraps of a BiG power move as proactive.

The ACC should make a play for programs like WVU, UC, Ok ST and TCU as soon as their GOR expires. Be the aggressor for a change. And no, I don't consider going after the scraps of a BiG power move as proactive.
WV, Colorado, Cincinnati, TCU. Okie St would make a good national footprint. Would make a good ACC network. Could compete with anybody.

WV, Colorado, Cincinnati, TCU. Okie St would make a good national footprint. Would make a good ACC network. Could compete with anybody.
There are 2-4 teams in the ACC that are revenue drags and don't make the cut for the new top tier of college football. There are no teams in the Big 12 that will be excluded.