Here comes Congress - Proposed NIL and Transfer Portal Bill | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Here comes Congress - Proposed NIL and Transfer Portal Bill

Personally, I think we lost this past off-season in the transfer portal battle. We lost two solid starters and a potential NFL player (per Babers). I hope it works out for us, but on paper, we did not come out better.
I'm not a Tuberville fan, and there is no guarantee that this passes. But whether it's this bill or a better one, the NCAA - and a few state legislatures - are crying out for adult supervision. Enforcement is broken. Transfer policies are creating chaos. And the portal has allowed NIL to explode into the pay-for-play nightmare many of us predicted. Hopefully congress can come up with a package that includes responsible federal oversight and uniform rules that restore parity, respect the amateur model and reign in NIL abuse.

Last edited:
I know the prospect of 'government oversight' is unappealing to some (especially to you, Tex), and there is no guarantee that this passes. But let's face it, the NCAA - and a few state legislatures - are begging for adult supervision. Enforcement is broken. Transfer rules are creating chaos. And NIL has exploded into exactly the pay-for-play nightmare that many of us predicted. Federal oversight, with uniform rules conditioned upon federal funding, is the only thing that can save major college sports at this point.
I disagree a little bit - transfer rules are creating havoc for who? Coaches and fans? Tough darts for us. NIL is a pay to play nightmare for who - coaches and fans again. Players don't seem to mind having the option.

The previous system was horrendous for how long and nobody did anything. Now this system is in what year 2 and the world as college sports knows it is coming to an end?

I don't buy it - this is well paid adults whining about losing influence and control over something they see slipping away. Please let's have the government ride in and save them in their time of crisis.

I disagree a little bit - transfer rules are creating havoc for who? Coaches and fans? Tough darts for us. NIL is a pay to play nightmare for who - coaches and fans again. Players don't seem to mind having the option.

The previous system was horrendous for how long and nobody did anything. Now this system is in what year 2 and the world as college sports knows it is coming to an end?

I don't buy it - this is well paid adults whining about losing influence and control over something they see slipping away. Please let's have the government ride in and save them in their time of crisis.
I made language revisions. But the points are valid. Sure, players should have an option to move at some point. But the current portal situation is creating chaos and fueling pay for play. Boosters use it for poaching. Controlling the portal is an essential reform.

Last edited:
Personally, I think we lost this past off-season in the transfer portal battle. We lost two solid starters and a potential NFL player (per Babers). I hope it works out for us, but on paper, we did not come out better.

Imagine if this 3 year rule was enacted.

We still lose Duce and Carter, but don't get Bellamy and Gould.

If the schools (who are mainly state run) cannot restrict movement, how can congress?

I don't know how I feel about the transfer rule. I would argue you can transfer at anytime, but NIL money can not be offered prior to the portal.
Problem is it’s too easy for schools to circumnavigate the $ issue.

Except for transferring after 3 years, current rule is good.
The other things such as licensing agents, disclosing details of the agreements within a certain amount of days would bring things out in the open.
Being a federal law, would help eliminate
under the table deals, because federal penalties would be harsh.
Educational Schools to avoid federal involvement would make sure bad people stayed away.

Being a federal law, would help eliminate
under the table deals, because federal penalties would be harsh.
not sure about that. Under the table they’d protect themselves with buffers, lots of buffers. Somebody else will take the fall and they’ll still try to steal players from other schools. It’s still very hard to prove unless full transparency and investigations are permitted to trace suspicious money.

Schools have always circumnavigated the $ issue - now it's just more out in the open, and the schools that were too scared to pay can now join the party if they so choose. If they don't choose to...they can go back into the business of charging people $80,000 per annum to prepare them for life and career.

not sure about that. Under the table they’d protect themselves with buffers, lots of buffers. Somebody else will take the fall and they’ll still try to steal players from other schools. It’s still very hard to prove unless full transparency and investigations are permitted to trace suspicious money.
You wouldn't have the NCAA doing the tracking the FBI, IRS would be doing the leg work.
They have a lot more tools to find answers then the NCAA does.
Including whistleblowers, and penalties for breaking federal law can be jail time.

If you want to transfer in first 3 years, you sit a year UNLESS a coach leaves or is fired
After year 3, one free transfer

NIL just needs to be submitted with visibility to each university you then submits to someone I guess it would sadly have to be the NCAA to monitor it

HARSH penalties for NIL violations or tampering. I would say even something like you lose a few scholarships the first time and then quickly escalates

Clearly none of this will happens as the big boys would veto the hell out of it

If you want to transfer in first 3 years, you sit a year UNLESS a coach leaves or is fired
After year 3, one free transfer

NIL just needs to be submitted with visibility to each university you then submits to someone I guess it would sadly have to be the NCAA to monitor it

HARSH penalties for NIL violations or tampering. I would say even something like you lose a few scholarships the first time and then quickly escalates

Clearly none of this will happens as the big boys would veto the hell out of it
Restricting transfers would work both ways - for and against us. Some of our best players are transfers.

Biggest thing by far is finding a way to regulate and cut down on tampering.

Only a matter of time til something like this began to enter the situation. Something has to give and the NCAA has no oversight.

Restricting transfers would work both ways - for and against us. Some of our best players are transfers.

Biggest thing by far is finding a way to regulate and cut down on tampering.

Looking for a system that would be "fair" to all and kind of put the brakes on the rich getting richer.
Big boys will always find a way to slip a note or cash to someone they want.

Generally speaking, government becoming involved in such things is not a good idea.

The problem is, government is already involved--the state governments. We are looking at a race to the bottom: the politicians in Florida, Georgia, Alabama, etc. are enacting legislation designed to give their State U. the edge over their rivals. Hell, look at the cockamamie legislation that NY State just passed.

The point is--D-I football is a national game, so we need national rules to keep the playing field (somewhat) level.

Last edited:
Wait until the ACC is under attack with realignment. Thats the final oversight boss federally speaking

This is a good thing to have the feds involved. The bill will be imperfect but college football has always been tap dancing w Supreme Court, state courts and now the feds

Can’t look at it how it benefits Syracuse or not. For us to operate it’s best with rules that have teeth

I don’t intend to offend or to make light of the gravitas of the origin of the phrase, but this is the plantation mentality rising up to fight the emancipation proclamation that is NIL and freedom to transfer.

Wait until the ACC is under attack with realignment. Thats the final oversight boss federally speaking

This is a good thing to have the feds involved. The bill will be imperfect but college football has always been tap dancing w Supreme Court, state courts and now the feds

Can’t look at it how it benefits Syracuse or not. For us to operate it’s best with rules that have teeth
It’s almost never a good thing to have the federal government involved. The people making special interest legislation only care about how that legislation will help them fund raise so they can get elected, and thus become more powerful and wealthy. If they have to do it by quashing the rights of teenagers, many of whom are poor and/or minorities and women, so be it. Those people have no power (money).

I hope a couple Dems hold this up until military promotions go through

who is the "us" in For us to operate it's best with rules that have teeth?

He is a completely unserious person. At his very best.

He's a freaking US Senator, and still refers to himself as "coach". :rolleyes:
He's coming across as a complete fool holding up these military appointments and promotions in the name of what the "American people want." The phrase usually translates into "what I personally want" or "what my big-time donors want."

I hope a couple Dems hold this up until military promotions go through

Dems are co-sponsoring it. And let's not forget the Senate also has a bill, co-sponsored/written by Cory Booker. Why would one thing have to do with another?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom