Here We Go Again... | Syracusefan.com

Here We Go Again...

mantonio

Starter
Here comes all of the negative talk about Marrone NOT being "the guy" to bring us back...

Here comes all of the gloom & doom, where Syracuse will never be able to compete with the better schools in the Big East or ACC....

BLAH, BLAH, FREAKIN' BLAH !!!!

Anyone who knows about football & rebuilding a down program, would never have a negative attitude about the direction of the Syracuse Program.

Syracuse is still ahead of schedule! We came from the depths of HELL just 3 years ago... This team still does not have enough good players to consistently play well every week.

USF, Rutgers, WVU,UCONN, Louisville, Pitt, & even CINCY have better players than Syracuse, & therefore, beating them is a tall order on any occasion. You can tell just by watching every play; the other team is faster & stronger at at least 7 of the 11 positions.

I would love for them to win most conference games RIGHT NOW, but it just can't happen this quickly...

I gotta disagree Mantonio. I have been behind Marrone since his hire, but it's running thin... and like I said in a previous post, it has nothing to do with recruiting, the W-L record, or anything like that. It's the mannerisms and (what appears to be) complete fear of falling back to where we started that makes me doubt that he has the makeup to take us to a premium level. He is completely hypocritical in many areas, and I don't think it is because he is an , but simply because he is scared to death to lose games he should be winning. Our talent will improve. The offense will at some point improve... but we will always have a glass ceiling if he cannot allow himself to cut loose.

Here comes all of the negative talk about Marrone NOT being "the guy" to bring us back...

Here comes all of the gloom & doom, where Syracuse will never be able to compete with the better schools in the Big East or ACC....

BLAH, BLAH, FREAKIN' BLAH !!!!

Anyone who knows about football & rebuilding a down program, would never have a negative attitude about the direction of the Syracuse Program.

Syracuse is still ahead of schedule! We came from the depths of HELL just 3 years ago... This team still does not have enough good players to consistently play well every week.

USF, Rutgers, WVU,UCONN, Louisville, Pitt, & even CINCY have better players than Syracuse, & therefore, beating them is a tall order on any occasion. You can tell just by watching every play; the other team is faster & stronger at at least 7 of the 11 positions.

I would love for them to win most conference games RIGHT NOW, but it just can't happen this quickly...
I completely agree. We're going to have to hunker down and continue to support this team.

We have definitely made decent strides from the GRob years, but still have a long ways to go. Marrone has to continue to address the team's deficiencies.

I am sick of using the excuse that we are "rebuilding." We've been "rebuilding" ever since P left. I want results.

I am sick of using the excuse that we are "rebuilding." We've been "rebuilding" ever since P left. I want results.
Actually, Robinson took a wrecking ball to the program.

It's funny, when he was fired, the general consensus was that it would take 4-5 years to rebuild. Then somehow we win 8 games in year 2. This year many people were predicting that we'd take a step back. I wasn't one of them, I thought we would build on what we did last year.

It's messed up that people don't remember how bad we were under Robinson. Robinson gave up 40+ points to Akron. Lost to Miami of Ohio. 3 Big East wins in 4 years. A 10 minute ESPN segment about how bad Syracuse was. We were the worst team in division 1 and I remember thinking how great it would be to get to mediocre, where we thought we could win instead of wondering how much we would lose by.

I'm not going to begrudge anyone for being miserable, because this sucks. I'm so glad we have a bye week so I don't have to deal with football for two weeks. I just think people would feel a little better if they put some things in perspective.

Perspective: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JKSEKUL8BI

Hate to break it to ya but in the job description for Head Football Coach at Syracuse is to bring in the players! It's not like he has no say in who he is coaching. He knew what he signed up for. And we aren't losing because of lack of talent. We are losing because of lack of discipline (4 personal foul penalty's tonight) a confusing offensive game plan week in and week out, terrible special teams, and uninspired football just all around. Almost none of that has anything to do with talent.

I am not saying Marrone is the Second Coming. He makes mistakes, but I doubt very highly that any of us would be better then he is.

The University didn't call us to rebuild the program, they called upon Doug Marrone to make things right. IF a better coach was available, they would have picked someone else...

I was watching that stupid smirk on dipcrap's face as his team was bracing for victory tonight. He has to know this success won't last much longer. USF is doomed to nothingness, along with all the other Big East leftovers. What other major conference boasts a directional school among their ranks? Think about it...

Hate to break it to ya but in the job description for Head Football Coach at Syracuse is to bring in the players! It's not like he has no say in who he is coaching. He knew what he signed up for. And we aren't losing because of lack of talent. We are losing because of lack of discipline (4 personal foul penalty's tonight) a confusing offensive game plan week in and week out, terrible special teams, and uninspired football just all around. Almost none of that has anything to do with talent.

You sure you're not watching a PITT game?

All the opposing players tonight were TALLER, STOCKIER, & FASTER !!!

If our receivers actually had their hands on tonight, we win that game!

I say coaching was the only thing keeping the game within reach...

i was a marrone fan until the last 3 weeks-
the way the team has played since wv is a down right shame-
what have they had 20 -30 personal fouls over those 3 weeks-that shows a total lack of disipline

our vaunted bass akwards offense just doesnt work after 3 years

if he didnt hire schaeffer he wouldnt have won 1 friggin game-

All this "I was behind Marrone" talk is a bunch of crap from most of you. Many have wanted Marrone to fail because he wasn't their pick as in Golden, Leach, or whatever flash in the pan coach has appeared over the years.

The team is on a skid. These things do happen. I do feel like the coaching staff needs to reevaluate some of their schemes and personnel. But I don't think they need to resign after a rough stretch of games. THIS TEAM IS STILL .500.

We keep talking about the personnel not bringing in good players. Why is this team turning away three star recruits? Or have some posters failed to follow the news lately?

With all the repetative hate talk around here about Marrone and the direction of the program, I feel some of you posters should disappear. Meanwhile, I'm going to enjoy where this goes because I have been infinitely more entertained than under the previous coaching administration.

Hell, it seems like more first and second years are playing than more experienced players. I haven't given up on this team with two games still to play, and I probably won't next year. I like Marrone. Even though it's a difference of opinion, right now I say F*** those who don't. That is all.

Overall, I feel this team is a few inexperienced plays or mistakes away from a significantly better record.

This team, this year, is not better than a G-Rob team. This is inept, pathetic, barely D-1 college football. We cant even successfully attempt a friggin kickoff!

If you think back to the beginning of the season what were most peoples expectations? I figured they would anywhere from 6-6 to 8-4 depended on how a few things went. This was a team that relied almost exclusively on Delone Carter and a hungry veteran defense last year. Last year was great but don't forget that two wins were against 1-AA schools and one against Akron. The defense won two games by themselves West Virginia and South Florida. Went to Cincinatti and beat them without their best and most important player. Marcus Sales and Delone Carter played huge roles in the Pinstripe Bowl.
Last season was big for the program and the fan base. It was the first time most games where competetive in a long time. If you step back and look without being biased there were holes in last years team. An easy schedule and some lucky breaks resulted in a solid record. The warning signs for a step back this year were there though.
Next two years are big for Marrone and staff. He will have to stand on his own actions. Team will enter next two years with players reruited almost exclussively by Marrone. The same offensive system will have been in place for multiple years. Not that he has ever offered any but there are no more excuses.
Don't jump off a bridge yet guys. Think back to the beginning of the season especially after Sales arrest and Gulley's stabbing. 6-6 or 7-5 and a two consecutive bowls for the first time in over ten years isn't that bad.

A bowl game would settle me down but I dont think were getting there. Does anyone see us beating one of two teams who are overwhelmingly more talented than us to get that sixth win? We all knew we would take a step back and next year is now huge, but given how bad the Big East is bothers me that we look so bad.

This team, this year, is not better than a G-Rob team. This is inept, pathetic, barely D-1 college football. We cant even successfully attempt a friggin kickoff!
That's a purely reactionary response. You are incorrect friend. GRob didn't even come close to winning 5 games in a season. Additionally, this team was bowl eligable last year and won almost as many games as GRob in all four of his years combined.

That's a purely reactionary response. You are incorrect friend. GRob didn't even come close to winning 5 games in a season. Additionally, this team was bowl eligable last year and won almost as many games as GRob in all four of his years combined.
GROB was a disaster, no question. But in his fourth year, he won two games in November (Louisville & ND) and the team at least had the satisfaction that it finished better than it had begun. Marrone isn't inspiring a better November performance.
Now, realistically, this team entered the year with questions -- could Bailey carry the load and remain healthy (answer -- yes); would any other playmakers emerge (answer -- maybe not, unless you count Graham); would the defense grow up fast enough at LB, DT & CB (answer -- mixed). People can talk about Nassib and playcalling, but the fact is that Nassib is piling up completions and yards (nearing record numbers for the season). We don't have a second RB, didn't have the talent to convert in the redzone, and the defense was sliced up badly by Daniels.
Are we on the right track? I would say yes, despite all this. Lemon and Sales should be a better combination at WR. The defense returns just about everybody. Some holes to fill on the OL and at TE, and we need a top RB to emerge. Need a couple more top recruits to close the class.

marrone cant win against a bcs school in november-thats proven

last year it was because we had injuries and depth issues-he doesnt have that excuse this year

for the "bass akwards" offense to be this bad with every starter healthy is beyond disgusting-

his lack of any recruits on offense is disturbing-when groober kids have no competition it just shows how bad he recruits

if he didnt hire schaeffer he wouldnt have won 5 friggin games-he has contributed ZERO to the offense in 3 seasons

marrone is a groober who got lucky and found a dc to get some wins -

I'll be the first to say it. This fire Marrone rhetoric is A) foolish and B) maybe you should apply -- You seem to think you can take SU back to its glory years of the longed for GROB era.

It is a bit ironic that a coach that stresses discipline so much can't get his players to be so in the games. As you mention, 4 last night, following several from the game preceeding...that's coaching!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom