Here's a game note, HC in the second half | Syracusefan.com

Here's a game note, HC in the second half

It was basically the Liberty game all over again against a team that had fewer offensive weapons than the Flames, and it meant about as much. I think we have a good defense and that it will get better but HC is hardly the measuring stick.

They were good for 3 quarters vs Clemson. And made a lot of big plays vs wmu. They haven’t been a shutdown defense but there’s enough there to get it done the rest of the way
Too many fans forget that under HCDB's offense, the D will rarely "look" great. The idea is to hold the opponent down enough to outscore them with offense. The D is good enough to win out, it is on the Offense to outscore opponents.

When our defense comes to play, they are some of the best out there.

That Maryland game is throw away game. We got embarrassed but I don’t think that’s an overall picture of our team.

We have a chance to go on a hell of a run for the ACC schedule. It’s time to do it and I think the team will be up for it. This bye week couldn’t come at a better time.

Alabamas D allowed 31 to Miss a team that scored 10 vs memphis. To think any D is going to be consistent these days is crazy. All you can ask for is be solid and limit the damage. If you get the perfect storm of a play maker on D and a bunch of guys who always do their job you can create a really good D. Few teams have that.

The offense is not where we want it but this version of the D is solid enough to where we can compete with teams if the offense just does something.. The Maryland game as bad as the D was at times, it was made much worse by the offense not doing much to keep the D off the field. 3-4 more decent drives and we may lose more like 35-20 even with the way the D played that way.. We already saw that had they just punched it in from the red zone we could have been leading vs Clemson late 2nd half.

We need that disruptor though to take it to the next level and mayve Robinson is that, but he isnt Freeney level.. What we really lake though is that MLB/OLB dude

They were good for 3 quarters vs Clemson. And made a lot of big plays vs wmu. They haven’t been a shutdown defense but there’s enough there to get it done the rest of the way
606 yards per game against teams other than liberty and holy cross.
186 yards per game against liberty and holy cross

i'm all in on be really good on offense and just don't suck at defense. but they just might suck at defense

Too many fans forget that under HCDB's offense, the D will rarely "look" great. The idea is to hold the opponent down enough to outscore them with offense. The D is good enough to win out, it is on the Offense to outscore opponents.

Yes, modern football is looking more like basketball where you don't so much shut people down as you simply make it more difficult for them to score than it is for you and set yourself up for some extra scores through takeaways.

606 yards per game against teams other than liberty and holy cross.
186 yards per game against liberty and holy cross

i'm all in on be really good on offense and just don't suck at defense. but they just might suck at defense
Clemson 17 puts with 10 to go in third. D gives offense the ball on Clemson 10 and the Clemson 6. Not bad in my eyes.

Clemson 17 puts with 10 to go in third. D gives offense the ball on Clemson 10 and the Clemson 6. Not bad in my eyes.
bad teams get some turnovers. 106th against FBS in yards per play (that includes liberty). 5th worst in conference (107th, some teams haven't played a conf game i guess)

113th in rushing per play defense against fbs

we're 69th against the pass vs fbs, that's nice enough

bad teams get some turnovers. 106th against FBS in yards per play (that includes liberty). 5th worst in conference (107th, some teams haven't played a conf game i guess)

The second half of Maryland and Clemson are skewing the numbers and the inability for a tempo offense to stay on the field contributed to that.

Maryland 10 runs totaled 251. The other 35 103. Of the 251 201 was in the second half (124 in the 4th)

Clemson 5 runs for 128 all in the 2nd half. Other 24 carries totaled 93

WMU 7 runs for 162 (101 in the first half) of a total of 201. The other 27 rushes went for 39.

15% of runs against account for 70% of the yds given up. That kind of thing is correctable.

As for turnovers it’s not some turnovers. They are 5th in to’s gained.

Sample size is kind of small. Not trying to say we’re the second coming of the 86 Giants. But I’ll wait till a couple more games before I m convinced. They have done enough to give me hope...(86 Taylor ,Carson, Banks, Burt, Marshall ...)

Put me in the category that it’s more likely that the D gels than the OL.

and that may be enough to win 3-4 more games.

The second half of Maryland and Clemson are skewing the numbers and the inability for a tempo offense to stay on the field contributed to that.

Maryland 10 runs totaled 251. The other 35 103. Of the 251 201 was in the second half (124 in the 4th)

Clemson 5 runs for 128 all in the 2nd half. Other 24 carries totaled 93

WMU 7 runs for 162 (101 in the first half) of a total of 201. The other 27 rushes went for 39.

15% of runs against account for 70% of the yds given up. That kind of thing is correctable.

As for turnovers it’s not some turnovers. They are 5th in to’s gained.
4 bad quarters skew things.. ok. lots of defenses are fine at this point if you take out 4 bad quarters.

2 points:
We are susceptible to big plays on D, both on the ground and in the air. That is not a "blip," its been a trend for awhile...
When the O is inept, the D, whether rightly or wrongly, can flat out quit during a game...

it's seems like the thing that made this defense look good coming out of camp is that it was playing against our offense. The same offense that was kept in check by Liberty. We have opportunities for growth on both sides of the ball.

2 points:
We are susceptible to big plays on D, both on the ground and in the air. That is not a "blip," its been a trend for awhile...
When the O is inept, the D, whether rightly or wrongly, can flat out quit during a game...
accurate

Some context. Rushing Def since 2016 vs FBS

2016 - 241
2017 - 210
2018 - 172
2019 - 193

They will finish the year better than last year as long as they are reasonably heathy

had negative 14 yds until their last drive for 40. Every drive until their last was three or four out.

Pretty good for hopeless overmatched coordinators that make no adjustments.

I'm not sure that finally wearing out what is essentially a glorified D3 program means much of anything. I mean, it's better we shut them down in the 2nd half than not.

Some context. Rushing Def since 2016 vs FBS

2016 - 241
2017 - 210
2018 - 172
2019 - 193

They will finish the year better than last year as long as they are reasonably heathy

It is nice seeing improvement but it is minimal improvement. We have gone from 121st to 118th to 83rd to 113th (current) nationally vs FBS in yards per carry. You don’t get a cookie for that.

For comparison Shafer went from 31st to 68th to 67th. We shouldn’t celebrate bad D just because it is better than worse D.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom