Here's what I'm left hoping for | Syracusefan.com

Here's what I'm left hoping for

Lol. And anyone thinking a first time HC is going to wow us with a big time OC hire is kidding themselves. The OC hire will be about as splashy as the HC hire.

If Ash is the guy what a joke. Id prefer just about any successful FCS HC to a defensive coordinator.

Been saying it for weeks that the bail out plan was pretty easy, go get the best fcs HC who runs the offense as well, hire a proven DC and go from there.

Fordham, JMU, eastern Washington, ODU.. All those head coaches would be a better fit than more knuckles and bicep curls.

All those including myself that said Coyle gets it were dead wrong, he doesn't have a clue if he hires ash

Can you imagine Shafer as DC with a boatload of 4 and 5 stars?

Exactly. At best this guy is diaco at uconn, IMO. Rock fights and 6 win seasons. At best, IMO

Exactly. At best this guy is diaco at uconn, IMO. Rock fights and 6 win seasons. At best, IMO
You mean a UConn team that is going to a bowl and who beat an undefeated Houston team? A team that had zero expectations going into the season and won 6 games. That UConn?

Coyle is going to hire a Iowa State fit that Iowa State passed on.

What did we do to deserve this? Whomever is reading this from realize you have deflated almost impossible to deflate fanbase even lower.

Think we could get david Bennett, former costal carolina coach?

(Ron, that's for you)

Yes, in the AAC. Rock fights and 6-6. BFD
Houston who is projected to go to a Group of 5 bowl game (projected for the Peach). They beat them. UConn improved by 4 wins this year and are going to a bowl. Yea great. SU is in the ACC. Super. That has done wonders for the program. The AAC has 8 bowl eligible teams. UConn who held Houston, one of the highest scoring teams in the country, to 17 points.

Houston who is projected to go to a Group of 5 bowl game (projected for the Peach). They beat them. UConn improved by 4 wins this year and are going to a bowl. Yea great. SU is in the ACC. Super. That has done wonders for the program. The AAC has 8 bowl eligible teams. UConn who held Houston, one of the highest scoring teams in the country, to 17 points.

Meathead formula, 6-6, boring rock fights and sheet bowl games. I'll pass. Sounds good when you are as bad as we are, I'm tired of watching 13-7 games,I want to join the modern era of college football, sorry

Meathead formula, 6-6, boring rock fights and sheet bowl games. I'll pass. Sounds good when you are as bad as we are, I'm tired of watching 13-7 games,I want to join the modern era of college football, sorry
SU's defense couldn't stop anyone. Let's hire an offensive guy so we can keep losing 49-28. A bowl game is a bowl game. There are a thousand bowl games. They are even letting in 5-7 teams. And SU still isn't qualified. UConn was 2-10 last year. Went to 6-6 this year. Who the hell cares how you win games as long as you win games. I myself wish I was preparing to watch SU play in a bowl game this year. No matter the bowl game. Did you watch SU in the Texas Bowl a few years ago? I went to the Pinstripe Bowl where they beat West Virginia. They won and all the players went over to the SU fan section to thank them and give high fives. It was awesome.

SU's defense couldn't stop anyone. Let's hire an offensive guy so we can keep losing 49-28. A bowl game is a bowl game. There are a thousand bowl games. They are even letting in 5-7 teams. And SU still isn't qualified. UConn was 2-10 last year. Went to 6-6 this year. Who the hell cares how you win games as long as you win games. I myself wish I was preparing to watch SU play in a bowl game this year. No matter the bowl game. Did you watch SU in the Texas Bowl a few years ago? I went to the Pinstripe Bowl where they beat West Virginia. They won and all the players went over to the SU fan section to thank them and give high fives. It was awesome.
So we've come all this way and gone through all this garbage over the past decade with the goal to get back to where we were in 2004?

That things with Ash aren't signed, and the SU AD is monitoring the board, observing the meltdown, and thinking "You know, on second thought..."

That's where Syracuse football might be at for me.

So he's basically letting us decide. He floats a rumor like a trial balloon then logs in to Syracusefan.com to check the fan reaction.

"Tell them I chose Ash".

"Oh , they are having a meltdown, better pick someone else."

I'm sorry you won't convince me that what Diaco did this year is entertaining or enjoyable to watch. The offense was unwatchable, they were BC with a softer schedule. I prefer not to watch the brand of football that guys like him try to win with, which will probably be the same way that ash will use. I just think it's dated and boring. I'm sorry but as I have said numerous times, defense like disco is dead.

In addition, I think shafer was a better DC than this guy so why would be even remotely excited about this guy. All coaches are a gamble but this guy isn't he's destined for failure because he stands zero chance at being successful here. Zero. I just thought our ad was smarter than this.

So we've come all this way and gone through all this garbage over the past decade with the goal to get back to where we were in 2004?
The program is going backwards. The basketball team draws more fans that the football team in the same stadium for crying out loud. So you are all looking for a hire that will get SU to a New Years Day game? SU was 3-9 and 4-8 the last two years. They haven't been ranked at seasons end since 2001!! Who do you think is coming to SU to coach a program that hasn't been ranked at season's end in 15 years. Marrone was a great hire IMO. Unfortunately he left. It happens. He left for an NFL job and took his OC with him. The main reason Shafer was hired as HC was to maintain continuity with the team that was coming off an 8-5 season following a bowl win. I don't get it. And no one has any idea if Frost was even close to coming here.

The program is going backwards. The basketball team draws more fans that the football team in the same stadium for crying out loud. So you are all looking for a hire that will get SU to a New Years Day game? SU was 3-9 and 4-8 the last two years. They haven't been ranked at seasons end since 2001!! Who do you think is coming to SU to coach a program that hasn't been ranked at season's end in 15 years. Marrone was a great hire IMO. Unfortunately he left. It happens. He left for an NFL job and took his OC with him. The main reason Shafer was hired as HC was to maintain continuity with the team that was coming off an 8-5 season following a bowl win. I don't get it. And no one has any idea if Frost was even close to coming here.
Even after Frost turned us down, there are still a number of very realistic options that fit the profile for what this program needs. Chris Ash is not that.

If you're not looking for a hire that will eventually get SU back to a New Year's Day game then what are we doing?

And everyone could stop our offense. So ye lets do more of that. Let's have a defense that sucks and an offense that sucks instead of a good offense and a sucky defense.

I'm sorry you won't convince me that what Diaco did this year is entertaining or enjoyable to watch. The offense was unwatchable, they were BC with a softer schedule. I prefer not to watch the brand of football that guys like him try to win with, which will probably be the same way that ash will use. I just think it's dated and boring. I'm sorry but as I have said numerous times, defense like disco is dead.

In addition, I think shafer was a better DC than this guy so why would be even remotely excited about this guy. All coaches are a gamble but this guy isn't he's destined for failure because he stands zero chance at being successful here. Zero. I just thought our ad was smarter than this.
SU's defense was ranked 99th nationally. And the only reason it's that high is because they shutout Rhode Island. They gave up over 6 yards per play! Think about that. The Defense was a certified disaster. They couldn't make a stop against Clemson, LSU, South Florida, when they needed stops. You think Shafer is a better DC than Ash?

Plus, it's so much easier to hire a solid D coordinator than it is to find offensive geniuses. So starting on the D side and then working your way over to the O side is fracking idiotic.

Even after Frost turned us down, there are still a number of very realistic options that fit the profile for what this program needs. Chris Ash is not that.

If you're not looking for a hire that will eventually get SU back to a New Year's Day game then what are we doing?
Again, we don't even know Frost turned SU down. And yes I would love to see this program get back to a New Years Day game. But they haven't been to a major bowl since 1998. Don't you think you kind of have to take baby steps here? This isn't going to get turned around overnight. Do you honestly think Frost was going to make SU into a major power in two years?

if SU bball was hiring today and JB was the leading guy, people would be screaming about hiring a guy who plays zone and only uses 6 men..
YES! This!!!!

As long as he doesn't make any dumb trophies\rivaleries up

Maybe we could steal the UCF rivalry? Since they took Frost?

UConn can have it back in 2017 when Frost is coaching Nebraska.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom