Hey CTO...I Originally Posted this on the OT Forum | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hey CTO...I Originally Posted this on the OT Forum

The faculty salaries go a long way in CNY - they are not underpaid. Good Professors at a major university can usually make a lot of money on the side, consulting or via research grants, etc, if they are willing to invest the time and effort. Their prof positions put them in a position to get a lot of leverage from that base, if they are near the top of their field, and if not, well, then they have a lot of discretionary time to enjoy life.

umm.. the avg salary of the profs i know is more like in the 7 digit range.. I dont know any making less than 200K.. Most of the ones i know are in the research areas though. so they make salary for working 5-10 hrs a week, they make salary again in the summer for working less than that, and they are all working on the side consulting jobs for bigger bucks.

about like most teachers i know.. working 20-30 hr weeks for 50-70k..

Where the heck do the teachers you know work? Sign me up for that! I teach and between being at school, grading papers and planning I work 50-60 hours a week minimum. I am not complaining because I like my job, but when you figure NYS teachers are required to get a Masters degree for a job that starts in the mid 30's it isn't what it is cracked up to be.

Not a swipe at you or any particular person, but I have always been fascinated by the belief that some people have that just because they completed a year of employment without getting fired, they should be paid more the next year. Why don't we, as a society, expect that people who bring value to the company, who get better at their job, who pick up a new skill, etc., might get paid more, but that if you are just treading water, you don't get a raise?
Would a cost of living adjustment be more appropriate to you? When you work at a place and health care goes up, parking rates at the place go up, etc... Without a slight adjustment in salary the people are actually making less each year they work there. Believe me, higher Ed raises typically aren't more than two to three percent. I've been lucky in that my director has found cash to give me and a couple others a bonus each year for good work. But a bonus doesn't help retirement, although it is a nice incentive.

Trust me, a lot of private sector schools have had salary freezes as well. I work for a private college and not only have our pay increases stopped for the last few years, but our TIAA-CREF contributions from the school have been drastically cut.
yes I know that, having worked for one as well. I'm just comparing my past to my present situation in that first post.

umm.. the avg salary of the profs i know is more like in the 7 digit range.. I dont know any making less than 200K.. Most of the ones i know are in the research areas though. so they make salary for working 5-10 hrs a week, they make salary again in the summer for working less than that, and they are all working on the side consulting jobs for bigger bucks.

about like most teachers i know.. working 20-30 hr weeks for 50-70k..
You're talking probably 2 percent of all college professors who are working for research one universities. That is in no way indicative of average prof salaries, which are between the 50 to 70 k range you mention.

First, CTO good post and understand your position on commenting. As a partner in large law firm as well as a visiting professor, I can say that salary increases in the past 5-10 years have been problematic vs. the old days in the corporate, university, and govenment areanas.
Secondly, I feel strongly that tenured professors like professional sports players have something the rest of us do not---"they do not suffer from what did you do for us last year"--they get to slide by.....and lastly, as Syracuse embraces diversity, the incoming class rank, vs. those colleges that do not, will have a tendency to fall somewhat. For its student population and numerous courses of study...'Cuse is a darn good school.