Hey Met fans, Phil Hughes is available to be your ace next season. | Syracusefan.com

Hey Met fans, Phil Hughes is available to be your ace next season.

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
Hopefully Matt Harvey is ok. It's amazing the problems these young guys have nowadays. I'm not a pitching coach, but I don't get it. Growing up I remember guys like Fergie Jenkins that pitched every four days and over 300 innings a year. In fact looking at his stats, he threw over 270 innings for nine straight years and 4500 innings in his career. And at age 40 he threw 167 innings. Maybe because he was a fastball pitcher who had almost 3200 strikeouts and didn't mess around too often with a curve ball. Not sure why.

Nolan Ryan pitched to age 46 and threw almost 5400 innings. Threw for over 200 innings 14 times in his career. Another fastball pitcher.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/jenkife01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/ryanno01.shtml

the good news is that, if it is TJ surgery, frequently guys come back even stronger from that.

but look at all the Mets' pitchers who have gone down at one time or another this year:

Harvey, Mejia, Niese, Gee, Hefner, Marcum, Francisco and Parnell . . . am I missing anyone?

BTW, Mejia might have the best pure stuff of anyone on the staff - Harvey included - but he can't stay healthy.

the kid in Bing may end up being the best and they still have 2-3 on the farm they have already started to shut down

I hate baseball

Lots of pitchers get hurt now. Also lots of pitchers got hurt 30 years ago. And 50 years ago. And 70 years ago. Etc. Pitchers get hurt, it's an unnatural act.

but look at all the Mets' pitchers who have gone down at one time or another this year:

Harvey, Mejia, Niese, Gee, Hefner, Marcum, Francisco and Parnell . . . am I missing anyone?

Including relievers, you have Edgin, Atchison, and Familia as well. I think Wheeler missed a few starts in Vegas with a blister as well. Do you want to count Santana? Pitchers were born to get hurt, it seems.

This is so depressing. Harvey is awesome.

Excuses...Excuses...the Mets haven't had near the amount of injuries the Yankees have had and the Yanks are above .500 and still in the playoff hunt...

Mets had 20 DL related pitching injuries. Yankees had 10. The bigger issue is so many are requiring long term surgery.

Excuses...Excuses...the Mets haven't had near the amount of injuries the Yankees have had and the Yanks are above .500 and still in the playoff hunt...

F the yankees

and youre actually bragging that a team with a 228 million dollar payroll is "still in the playoff hunt"?

nobody is making excuses - the Mets suck, and even if all their arms were healthy, they still have no big league bats.

it is a lamentation about the nature of the franchise - even when they are rebuilding toward a promising future, they manage to kick themselves in their own nutsack.

I think at some point you have to wonder about the training staff and their ability to spot things early . . . I saw Harvey pitch against the Dodgers a couple weeks ago, and it was obvious that he was not sharp. He's a bulldog, though, and that allowed him to get a so-called "quality start" from a statistical perspective, but he was not electric as he had been earlier in the season. That was just one of several non-Harvey-like appearances before they shut him down. If it was just this one incident, I would not say anything, but the number of pitching injuries has to make you wonder about the capabilities of the training & medical staffs.

on saturday i texted my friend "harveys stuff aint the same last few starts, fastball is straight no movement, fatigue?"

i sure wish it was fatigue.

Moqui, you might be right, but so many pitchers are just going to get hurt. Shaun Marcum has battled injuries his entire career. Gee is pitching with a torn labrum I believe. (Might be rotator cuff, not 100% sure). Mejia we already k new had the bone chips. Etc.

Harvey's numbers were still great. He was still throwing hard too. I think Jonah Keri or someone made the point today that if you shut down a pitcher every time his arm was a little tight or something, there would be no pitchers.

But it's also possible they absolutely botched this. We'll never know.

Moqui, you might be right, but so many pitchers are just going to get hurt. Shaun Marcum has battled injuries his entire career. Gee is pitching with a torn labrum I believe. (Might be rotator cuff, not 100% sure). Mejia we already k new had the bone chips. Etc.

Harvey's numbers were still great. He was still throwing hard too. I think Jonah Keri or someone made the point today that if you shut down a pitcher every time his arm was a little tight or something, there would be no pitchers.

But it's also possible they absolutely botched this. We'll never know.

I'm sure it is relatively easy to chart # of pitchers on the DL per team per year for the last decade and see how many standard deviations (if any) the 2013 Mets are from the mean . . . it wouldn't "prove" anything, but it might make management decide they need to make some support staff changes.

I'm sure it is relatively easy to chart # of pitchers on the DL per team per year for the last decade and see how many standard deviations (if any) the 2013 Mets are from the mean . . . it wouldn't "prove" anything, but it might make management decide they need to make some support staff changes.

It probably is, if i had to guess, I would bet it's nothing all that crazy though. The Jays had 3 guys have Tommy John last year alone. (based on some quick googling)

We'd want to weight it based on time missed, severity of injury, etc.

In 2011, the Mets were pretty healthy with starters

Though I don't want to come off as defending the Mets medical staff in general, I remember the 207-2010 period very well. Let's play Jose Reyes and only bat him right handed!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom