Hey Old Timers - SU Pre-Game Music Question | Syracusefan.com

Hey Old Timers - SU Pre-Game Music Question

OrangePA

Hall of Fame
I"m trying to name the songs that were played when the team took the Manley court during warm-ups when Dennis DuVal, Mike Lee, Jim Lee, Mark Wadach, Bob Dooms and the others were playing.

Here is what I recall so far: (1) Theme From Shaft; (2) It's Alright; (3) Who's That Lady; (4) What You See is What You Get.

Any others?

I"m trying to name the songs that were played when the team took the Manley court during warm-ups when Dennis DuVal, Mike Lee, Jim Lee, Mark Wadach, Bob Dooms and the others were playing.

Here is what I recall so far: (1) Theme From Shaft; (2) It's Alright; (3) Who's That Lady; (4) What You See is What You Get.

Any others?

Didn't we used to play Superfly or something like that for Dennis Duval?

Didn't we used to play Superfly or something like that for Dennis Duval?

Ah, I think it was the Theme From Shaft I was thinking about. I should read the whole post before responding. LOL

All I remember are "It's Alright" and "Higher and Higher." Anytime I hear them 40 years later, my body and mind migrate back to the Manley Zoo, and my blood races.

I'm pretty sure Welcome to the Jungle is missing from your list.

May be named what you already listed, but the words were "reach out in the darkness". Can't remember if that was the title though.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

May be named what you already listed, but the words were "reach out in the darkness". Can't remember if that was the title though.

"and you may find a friend. I think it's wonderful how people are finally getting together..." That song? I don't remember the name either.

Any others?
#1. Was actually a snippet from The William Tell Overture (aka the Lone Ranger Theme) as the team came running out of the locker room.

Also, I'm pretty sure there was a "Rose Royce" song in there someplace.

ReachOutoftheDarkness.jpg

Late 70's - Freak out! (Le Freak - C'est Chic!)
Ha. That brought back a childhood memory of sitting in Manley and watching the team come out of the locker room led by Bouie and his big 'fro.

Reach Out in the Darkness

I think it's so groovy now
That people are finally getting together
I thinks it's wonderful and how

Reach out in the darkness
And you may find a friend

I knew a man that I did not care for
And then one day this man gave me a call
We sat and talked about things on our mind
And now this man he is a friend of mine

Don't be afraid of love
(Don't be afraid) don't be afraid
Don't be afraid to love
(Listen to me)
Everybody needs a little love
Everybody needs somebody
That they can be thinking of
So reach out

Reach Out in the Darkness

I knew a man that I did not care for
And then one day this man gave me a call
We sat and talked about things on our mind
And now this man he is a friend of mine

Don't be afraid of love
(Don't be afraid) don't be afraid
Don't be afraid to love
(Listen to me)
Everybody needs a little love
Everybody needs somebody
That they can be thinking of
So reach out

This should be the official board theme song.

This should be the official board theme song.
My friends and I used to sing it as "freak out in the darkness" . . . . but whatever . . . .

My friends and I used to sing it as "freak out in the darkness" . . . . but whatever . . . .

As I recall, the sound quality from those transistor radios wasn't all that great. Good times, though. :cool:

#1. Was actually a snippet from The William Tell Overture (aka the Lone Ranger Theme) as the team came running out of the locker room.

Also, I'm pretty sure there was a "Rose Royce" song in there someplace.

Yes!

That's right!

Forgot about that. Great call!

Close, but no cigar. It was Reach Out I'll Be There by the Four Tops.

It started in 69-70 with Dave Harmon leading the team onto the floor at Manley to music. At first no one knew what was going on, it was totally unexpected. Manley was a mad house in those days (you could smoke anywhere in the arena, the dust from the dirt floor hovered over the court, the refs were all local so you knew we'd get all the calls, you just never knew what was going to happen next, which made the music and team boogie all the more wild). I can't remember the music but I think it was the William Tell Overture that ultimately morphed into Shaft and Sweet Georgia Brown with Duval.

Any others?
It was Shaft for Sweet D's warm-up routine.

It started in 69-70 with Dave Harmon leading the team onto the floor at Manley to music. At first no one knew what was going on, it was totally unexpected. Manley was a mad house in those days (you could smoke anywhere in the arena, the dust from the dirt floor hovered over the court, the refs were all local so you knew we'd get all the calls, you just never knew what was going to happen next, which made the music and team boogie all the more wild). I can't remember the music but I think it was the William Tell Overture that ultimately morphed into Shaft and Sweet Georgia Brown with Duval.
A friend of mine, named Georgia, lives, at least in part, off the royalties from Sweet Georgia Brown. She plays a mean sax.