Hickey on the Winning TD | Syracusefan.com

Hickey on the Winning TD

javadoc

All American
Just watched the highlight of that winning play again, and noticed that Hickey played a key role in the TD. The Minny safety totally sold out on the blitz - he started toward the LOS in a huge arcing run well before the snap. That left two WR's and two DB's on the left side of the field. When nothing was open, Hunt released and ran to that side, and both DB's could be blocked. The DE on that side saw what was happening and tried to get free to grab Hunt, but Hickey kept him engaged long enough for Hunt to slip by.

Finish the play. The little things.

If Hickey doesn't continue to slide there I think Hunt gets caught. I've watched it a dozen times and I'm almost convinced... 100% agree, it's the little things. The downfield blocking is great but Hickey is the key to the scramble on that play.

Good catch. Having him back next year is huge and quite frankly, he's the biggest impact "recruit" for 2014. It's going to be helpful to bring back 4 of the 5 starters on the line.

Is the general consensus that Hickey can play himself into Pugh/Jones territory in the late first round?

Is the general consensus that Hickey can play himself into Pugh/Jones territory in the late first round?

I don't think it consensus. Does Hickey have the ability to become a 1st round pick? Yes. I believe the grade he currently received was somewhere in the 4th to 5th rounds. He is very athletic, uses his hands pretty well, and has the measurables. What the NFL is going to want to see out of him is increased strength, especially in his lower body and core, and a meaner streak. He was overpowered at times this year be equally talented players, and was stuffed on more than one occasion. The good news is that all of his "faults" are totally correctable and understandable as he hasn't had a ton of time in the weighroom due to his injuries.

I don't think it consensus. Does Hickey have the ability to become a 1st round pick? Yes. I believe the grade he currently received was somewhere in the 4th to 5th rounds. He is very athletic, uses his hands pretty well, and has the measurables. What the NFL is going to want to see out of him is increased strength, especially in his lower body and core, and a meaner streak. He was overpowered at times this year be equally talented players, and was stuffed on more than one occasion. The good news is that all of his "faults" are totally correctable and understandable as he hasn't had a ton of time in the weighroom due to his injuries.
I think you mean weight room time working his lower body...right? He has an incredibly strong upper body. I think he had the highest bench press numbers this year.

I was on a flight with Sean a few days after he second ACL injury. I was very surprised how thin his legs were, especially his calves. Justin Pugh is just the opposite and has a huge lower body. Hopefully Sean can put on additional muscle and increase his playing weight closer to the 300 pound mark.

It's hard to say who had the most penalties on the o-line but Hickey or Trudo must lead the charge,while Nick Robinson most likely had the least as number was very seldom called from my memories.

But I think Hickey needs to cut down on the penalties like the illegal procedure ones.

Just be glad he didnt get called for the Holding he committed on that TD play.

You are so right. After the game I watched the replay of that play several times and it was very close. Glad it worked out in our favor.

This thread motivated me to go back and watch the replay. Before you can even discuss the TD, you have to recognize the key blocks by Ben Lewis and Alvin Cornelius that spring Estime. As Java and Finwad point out, it's the little things.

As for the TD itself, I noticed that Minny sold out, rushing 7 and playing single coverage on the 4 WRs. The camera angle doesn't show the entire end zone as the play develops, but none of the 4 WRs had any separation whatsoever. As he drop[s back, Hunt looks right, then left, but the way the WRs were locked-up, it leaves me wondering if the play wasn't a designed run?
Our entire OL deserved credit for picking up the blitz (incl. Trudo who also held his block just long enough), as well as Smith, who completely took out the Minny LB coming off the right side.

This thread motivated me to go back and watch the replay. Before you can even discuss the TD, you have to recognize the key blocks by Ben Lewis and Alvin Cornelius that spring Estime. As Java and Finwad point out, it's the little things.

As for the TD itself, I noticed that Minny sold out, rushing 7 and playing single coverage on the 4 WRs. The camera angle doesn't show the entire end zone as the play develops, but none of the 4 WRs had any separation whatsoever. As he drop[s back, Hunt looks right, then left, but the way the WRs were locked-up, it leaves me wondering if the play wasn't a designed run?
Our entire OL deserved credit for picking up the blitz (incl. Trudo who also held his block just long enough), as well as Smith, who completely took out the Minny LB coming off the right side.
I thought the same thing but I kept it to myself. LOL. It is possible that it was designed run. The routes were toward the sidelines which allowed Hunt to run towards the middle of the D. No one was there. I wonder if they were expecting an all out blitz. Im leaning towards saying it was designed but Im not positive though

hes got some work to do, he would really need to come on strong imo.

just a plug for Pugh while im at it...

the Giants love him. team is going to be rebuilt around Eli, Cruz and him on Offense.

TC wants him to gain 10-15lbs, might looking at moving him to LT, but said with his feet...he can go anywhere.

i know hes a philly guy, but i hope he stays local, is always around the compound working out and does a few appearances. getting in good and having a media presence would be a huge plus for him. hang out with O'Hara, buy a car from Benson, go to Knicks and Rangers games.

be the man.

not so sure about the play being designed. First is that we were not sure Minny was going to bring it. Second i believe that the routes were designed to provide the opportunity for Hunt to run in the event he needed to. What catches my eye is Hunts vision and pocket awareness. These are things that naturally has but that Lester has also done a remarkable job improving. If Hunt can continue to improve under Lester we may be in for a treat this coming fall

upperdeck said:
there's holding every play in football but yea reffing is subjective as heck

Not sure I agree ... I believe the NFL simply wants to see that the injury problems are behind Hickey. He obviously needs to continue to hone his craft. However the reason for the 4th-6th round slot in 2014, is the injury history and inability to stay on the filed during his four years in campus.

Not sure I agree ... I believe the NFL simply wants to see that the injury problems are behind Hickey. He obviously needs to continue to hone his craft. However the reason for the 4th-6th round slot in 2014, is the injury history and inability to stay on the filed during his four years in campus.

We can agree to disagree on that one.