Higgins and Donato retiring* | Syracusefan.com

Higgins and Donato retiring*

not_the_father.gif

One last time... HIGGINS.

Thank god he's retiring.

wait,.. they are retiring as "Big East" officials. Could be they want to make the move with us?:)

I'm not trusting it, why is it that syracuse.com is the only news source in the nation, as of 5:32 PM who is reporting this?

Unless they had us on speed dial?

Phew...those guys were out to get us. We will be better now without them being the 6th man for the other team.

wait,.. they are retiring as "Big East" officials. Could be they want to make the move with us?:)
Yep, they're moving down south to enjoy the weather and maybe work some games on a part-time basis.

I'm not trusting it, why is it that syracuse.com is the only news source in the nation, as of 5:32 PM who is reporting this?

good point, but with baseball, nba playoffs, and stanley cup playoffs, maybe no one else noticed yet

Who else cares but us? ;)

Hunch, after 2-3 years of ACC officiating, We will beg Higgins and Donato to come back..

The only thing that would make this even better is if Burr was retiring too.

I guess you know you had yourself quite a...

career... when you see a message board like this as you announce your retirement.

HIP HIP...

I know I'm in the minority and no doubt Higgins made his fair share of bad calls but I think he was a good ref whose age and conditioning has prevented him from doing his best the past few years. With Higgins, you could expect him to either consciously or sub-consciously try to equalize the home court advantage . He seemed to accept the role of the bad cop in games and didn't let people get under his skin.(Burr obviously has had issues there). I think Higgins enjoyed the games, , the players, the atmosphere and even the fans. My biggest problem with him was the last few years, he was frequently out of position because he lacked the athleticism to go full tilt, full court thus he missed some calls. I do think he was a very good ref though - go ahead and hang me. ;)

I have actually had more issues with refs like Karl Hess', Michael Stevens and even Cahill. I'll miss the collective groan though when Higgins is announced as a ref at the dome. I'd love to hear JB's take on the refs after he retires, bet he will be more complimentary of Higgins than the fans. Of course that wouldn't take much...

out of shape.out of touch.good riddance red nosed mofo.

first rule that needs correcting in this year's ncaa meeting is limiting the games these idiots work.
two a week max with travel i say. and hire some young blood to replace these coots like burr and higgins. jeezus it ain't rocket science!

In 2010-11, Higgins worked one stretch of 7 games in 9 days, another of 6 in 11 days, and another of 10 in 14 days. And none of those included the infamous Johnnies-Rutgers game at MSG in the conference tournament. I doubt he decided to cut back last season on his own accord.

In 2010-11, Higgins worked one stretch of 7 games in 9 days, another of 6 in 11 days, and another of 10 in 14 days. And none of those included the infamous Johnnies-Rutgers game at MSG in the conference tournament. I doubt he decided to cut back last season on his own accord.

Wonder if it's like many companies/agencies where employees close to retirement puff up their pension $ by working as much as they can. Other employees will bypass OT or extra work to allow those close to retirement to increase their pension in the expectation and tradition that others will do it for them when the time comes.

That work schedule has to be counterproductive not only to calling good games but can't be smart health wise either.

out of shape.out of touch.good riddance red nosed mofo.

first rule that needs correcting in this year's ncaa meeting is limiting the games these idiots work.
two a week max with travel i say. and hire some young blood to replace these coots like burr and higgins. jeezus it ain't rocket science!
This is classic NCAA. Have something that doesn't pass the smell test and their position is the public is messed up not them. Re: College Football Playoffs or lack there-of.
I actually believe the travel thing has been posed to NCAA acolytes and its gotten the old "We've done research and there is no blah blah blah ". I almost think it was posed because of Burr because he sucks wherever he goes and he does 4-5 games a week.

Wonder if it's like many companies/agencies where employees close to retirement puff up their pension $ by working as much as they can. Other employees will bypass OT or extra work to allow those close to retirement to increase their pension in the expectation and tradition that others will do it for them when the time comes.

That work schedule has to be counterproductive not only to calling good games but can't be smart health wise either.

No one games that system better than our illustrious state workesr, and the worst are the higher level big $$$ bureaucrats. From time to time a NYC newspaper will out some of these schemes but then it goes away for awhile.

Per PS tweet.
Donato must be a good ref, as I can't remember one thing about him, and a quick scan of this threads post yields nary a mention of him only ,WC Fields Higgins himself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom