Highest known NIL in basketball to date | Syracusefan.com

Highest known NIL in basketball to date

I love when an article starts out with how they 100% support players making money and then go on to rip the system that is finally allowing it. Article should be translated into "my school won't have the money to compete and that pi--es me off".

The schools (remember the NCAA works for its member organizations) created this problem and now they have to figure out how to handle it. It's about time.

The schools need a strategy beyond woe is me and remember the good old days.

I love when an article starts out with how they 100% support players making money and then go on to rip the system that is finally allowing it. Article should be translated into "my school won't have the money to compete and that pi--es me off".

The schools (remember the NCAA works for its member organizations) created this problem and now they have to figure out how to handle it. It's about time.

Cuse seems to be doing some stuff with private equity, which is either a terrific idea or the worst idea ever. Time will tell.

While I wouldn't have phrased it exactly like this, speaking for myself, there is certainly a conflict between what I know is ethically right (players have been exploited and should be able to sign contracts and be compensated) versus what I actually like (I like watching college sports so much I post anonymously on a sports message board). Sounds like this guy feels the same.

Two million dollars to this lucky kid.

Certain teams are going to have to overpay, especially if they want a reigning conference POY. Syracuse is one of those teams. People are down on the program, but have to realize it's a lot harder for a smaller private school to raise NIL funds, especially when the program has been down for for a while. Plus it doesn't help when the school is in a city and region that people are moving out of. Hopefully Micron will be a lightning rod.

The NCAA should be pushing the players to unionize. That way there can be some collective bargaining and some limits imposed on transfers and some of the other things going on that make this era of college sports less fun to watch.

Certain teams are going to have to overpay, especially if they want a reigning conference POY. Syracuse is one of those teams. People are down on the program, but have to realize it's a lot harder for a smaller private school to raise NIL funds, especially when the program has been down for for a while. Plus it doesn't help when the school is in a city and region that people are moving out of. Hopefully Micron will be a lightning rod.

Or we need a Fran Brown for basketball.

Based on what we’re giving our starting 5 I wish we would stop complaining we are poor. It’s the most overplayed post here. On top of it Onondaga county has the largest
Population it ever has had….Pay the wrong guys? Maybe.

Last edited:
The NCAA should be pushing the players to unionize. That way there can be some collective bargaining and some limits imposed on transfers and some of the other things going on that make this era of college sports less fun to watch.
The challenge with college athletes unionizing is that laws on public employees (read: athletes at state schools) unionizing vary from state to state. There would need to be some kind of carve-out in many. Not that that can't be done necessarily, but IANA labor lawyer.

What is the lowest NIL? I mean there are many who do not have a NIL deal, but what is the lowest? Are there $500 or $1000 deal

Based on what we’re giving our starting 5 I wish we would stop complaining we are poor. It’s the most overplayed post here. Pay the wrong guys? Maybe.
My point was it's just harder if you compare the number of Syracuse alumni with a major university who have double, triple and quadruple the amount of students plus add on a program currently trending somewhat down and in an area that hasn't been exactly the most prosperous.

Makes it a lot tougher, even though there are a lot of successful alumni. Syracuse is now catching up to other schools as far as NIL funding, but one could say we were in the prehistoric era with dinosaurs running around.

Cuse seems to be doing some stuff with private equity, which is either a terrific idea or the worst idea ever. Time will tell.

While I wouldn't have phrased it exactly like this, speaking for myself, there is certainly a conflict between what I know is ethically right (players have been exploited and should be able to sign contracts and be compensated) versus what I actually like (I like watching college sports so much I post anonymously on a sports message board). Sounds like this guy feels the same.
Okay, James ;)

My point was it's just harder if you compare the number of Syracuse alumni with a major university who have double, triple and quadruple the amount of students plus add on a program currently trending somewhat down and in an area that hasn't been exactly the most prosperous.

Makes it a lot tougher, even though there are a lot of successful alumni. Syracuse is now catching up to other schools as far as NIL funding, but one could say we were in the prehistoric era with dinosaurs running around.
We were at the end of JB maybe. Not anymore. Losing hurts. Georgetown has had a gazillion dollars to spend, but nobody wants to go there because they stink. UConn gets by as a mid market because players want to join a winning culture.

Losing hurts.
You are 144% correct and in Red's first year they finished 20-12 and 11-9 in conference. People are acting like he finished with Georgetown's record of 7-25.

Would he have made people happier if we made the NCAAT? Of course, that is the expectation. Bur the way the season unfolded, it was obvious that the team wasn't a tournament team.

But Pitino and Cooley didn't make the tourney either. Jay Wright retired and Nova finished with a .500 record.

The way some people post around here, I'm not sure Red will be given a fair opportunity to put his thumbprint on this program. It's too bad.

The challenge with college athletes unionizing is that laws on public employees (read: athletes at state schools) unionizing vary from state to state. There would need to be some kind of carve-out in many. Not that that can't be done necessarily, but IANA labor lawyer.
Feel like Congress is about to step in and "fix" this. But that's a really good point. It's pretty fascinating from a legal perspective.

This was my prediction a few months ago at Newhouse. Probably take 2-3 years and that will kind of set pay scales, like how pro sports leagues went from negotiating contracts for the top picks every year, to have a "slot number" in their collective bargaining agreement. I foresee something like this.

You are 144% correct and in Red's first year they finished 20-12 and 11-9 in conference. People are acting like he finished with Georgetown's record of 7-25.

Would he have made people happier if we made the NCAAT? Of course, that is the expectation. Bur the way the season unfolded, it was obvious that the team wasn't a tournament team.

But Pitino and Cooley didn't make the tourney either. Jay Wright retired and Nova finished with a .500 record.

The way some people post around here, I'm not sure Red will be given a fair opportunity to put his thumbprint on this program. It's too bad.
I actually do not get why, I can go on and on concerning what this program was over the last 7 years, almost ridiculous, some people have been babied to death, some people just love to ridicule and did not realize what we have in the current coach. It was a disaster from a team management standpoint, he coached the heck out of this team, especially defensively. I know I will get beat up for that. He committed to M2M, attrition set in,, he even knew he had to mix it up, imagine if we had previous talent, my gosh. I am a complete fan of Red Autry. Did you see the attrition on the football side.... it is just a little prettier right now. I am also a big fan and supporter of CFB. I do not get all the Red vitriol, I can speculate, I will stay out of that

Plus it doesn't help when the school is in a city and region that people are moving out of. Hopefully Micron will be a lightning rod.
area population has been pretty flat the last 10-20 years. Stop with the outdated tales.

I think you were trying to say we don’t have a lot of super wealthy corporations based here to help us out.

area population has been pretty flat the last 10-20 years. Stop with the outdated tales.

I think you were trying to say we don’t have a lot of super wealthy corporations based here to help us out.
Besides the fact that the City of Syracuse has the 3rd highest level of poverty in the US, behind Detroit and Cleveland, a flat growth is like a negative growth. Without new businesses coming to town, how is the population going to grow organically. Younger people are delaying marriages and having less kids and older people are dying off. Why would someone move to CNY, without the ability to have a good job. But, trust me, I've lived in upstate NY my entire life, and love it, so no one needs to sell me on the pros.

Also population growth stimulates the economy. More housing, more pizza joints, more local businesses.

And I will stick to my original comment that hopefully Micron is a lightning rod because the area needs a big infusion. I've see first hand what Global Foundries has done for Saratoga County. Hopefully the same thing happens in Syracuse.

This was my prediction a few months ago at Newhouse. Probably take 2-3 years and that will kind of set pay scales, like how pro sports leagues went from negotiating contracts for the top picks every year, to have a "slot number" in their collective bargaining agreement. I foresee something like this.
Most significAntly, player unionization should permit the NCAA to avoid antitrust issues in dealings with the union.

JMA makes money hand over fist. Not sure if JM is contributing to NIL. There would be little value in having a specific athlete attached to the Company but more eyes on the stadium that bears your name is a plus.

JMA makes money hand over fist. Not sure if JM is contributing to NIL. There would be little value in having a specific athlete attached to the Company but more eyes on the stadium that bears your name is a plus.
Might be a big ask of JMA to contribute significantly to NIL when they're already paying $3M+ annually for naming rights to the Dome.

Then again, maybe not.
1716731113834.gif

Might be a big ask of JMA to contribute significantly to NIL when they're already paying $3M+ annually for naming rights to the Dome.

Then again, maybe not. View attachment 241446
Or perhaps another way of looking at it, without NIL keeping the brand afloat nobody will want to buy naming rights.

Or perhaps another way of looking at it, without NIL keeping the brand afloat nobody will want to buy naming rights.
Fair point. I actually considered that when writing my post.

Settled TA;MN instead. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom