Hire from within or start new? | Syracusefan.com

Hire from within or start new?

Orangetradition44

2nd String
What does everyone think?

I think Doug set a good foundation and hiring from within could help is maintain out upward trajectory. Much like the P hire.

Depends on who is left and who goes to the Bills.

Odds are we won't be able to make a big splash, so it's going to be a gamble. Therefore, why not gamble on one of our own guys and alleviate the fears of our current players and recruits? Unless you're hiring a proven guy, and I doubt that'll be the case, you might as well hold the staff together and keep the current momentum going.

I agree that we should hire from within the current staff. Doug's strength wasn't as a game day strategist IMO his strength was in getting a great staff. Why do we want to risk losing the good coaches (who are also good men) we already have and our players and recruits already know and like with the hope of finding new guys with those same qualities. Almost any new HC coming in is going to be a risk just as hiring from within would be. The HC is the face of the program, but it is the assistants who do the bulk of the work. Keep most of them and I don't think we have to take any steps backward. Hire someone from outside you may lose recruits and even some current players.

The staff we have in place is full of good, quality individuals...they are the reason most of the current players have come here.

I think Doug set a good foundation and hiring from within could help is maintain out upward trajectory. Much like the P hire.
Going to go all Debbie D here, but until we get some answers on the financial issues within the AD that I posted last night, I don't think it matters who we hire, and I don't care. The subtext of Doug's leaving is that his work is done here. He is a tremendous coach who has taken this program as far as he can. 7-5/8-4 is our ceiling no matter who coaches here, until we get better institutional support for the football program. Why should he stick around beating his head against that wall?

I think he was very disappointed in the fan support, especially after he worked his ass off pounding the pavement and pressing the flesh when he was hired. I suspect there were promises that haven't come to fruition also regarding facilities, and four years into it the AD has dropped the ball in his eyes. He has cited both issues as holding back recruiting, and I think this year's class was the last straw. Remember when JO said we were realistically involved with a bunch of very big names? I can hear Doug saying, "F it. I'm not going to bust my butt and work my assistants so hard if we're chasing shadows."

I'm waiting to see what the school and the AD do with the ACC transition and money. This all makes no sense, and I fear that we are going to be the poster child for penny wisdom and pound foolishness. I mean, seriously, we are about to see a net $10M increase per year in revenue stream and we're still waiting on donors? That's abdication.

I fear that the ACC just got a spouse who is going to let herself go as soon as the ring is on the finger.

Depends on who is left and who goes to the Bills.
Yep. To follow up on my downer post, I think the best outcome right now is to keep the staff together, whether that means hiring just a HC, or promoting Hack/Shaf and backfilling. I would especially want to keep Adkins - demonstrable OL development and JUCO recruiting, which I think we are going to have to lean on. Anselmo also. If we can keep the staff together and get announcements on a new IPF with dates and plans, I think we can continue to improve as a program.

To paraphrase an old beer commercial: "Shafer is the one coach to have if you're having more than one."

Damn--showing my age!

At least that's a viable option, which hasn't always been true.

I wonder if Marrone weighed in his opinion on this to Gross. His honest take would be good to know. I assume things aren't so bad between Marrone and SU aren't so bad that he wouldn't want the best for the program.

Going to go all Debbie D here, but until we get some answers on the financial issues within the AD that I posted last night, I don't think it matters who we hire, and I don't care. The subtext of Doug's leaving is that his work is done here. He is a tremendous coach who has taken this program as far as he can. 7-5/8-4 is our ceiling no matter who coaches here, until we get better institutional support for the football program. Why should he stick around beating his head against that wall?

I think he was very disappointed in the fan support, especially after he worked his ass off pounding the pavement and pressing the flesh when he was hired. I suspect there were promises that haven't come to fruition also regarding facilities, and four years into it the AD has dropped the ball in his eyes. He has cited both issues as holding back recruiting, and I think this year's class was the last straw. Remember when JO said we were realistically involved with a bunch of very big names? I can hear Doug saying, "F it. I'm not going to bust my butt and work my assistants so hard if we're chasing shadows."

I'm waiting to see what the school and the AD do with the ACC transition and money. This all makes no sense, and I fear that we are going to be the poster child for penny wisdom and pound foolishness. I mean, seriously, we are about to see a net $10M increase per year in revenue stream and we're still waiting on donors? That's abdication.

I fear that the ACC just got a spouse who is going to let herself go as soon as the ring is on the finger.
This is an incredible post.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom