Hire Scott Shafer now. | Syracusefan.com

Hire Scott Shafer now.

Rocco

Watching you.
Keep Hack at OC with promotion to AHC and a nice raise.

Keeps the team happy and is best case scenario for continuity of what is going on right now.

Recruits will settle down and will still have familiar faces.

Allows for the quickest and most seamless transition.

Keeps D & O the same, and fits to the players already on the roster and the ones coming in.

Has potential to keep staff together, will be defections regardless but not as many.

Get it done TGD. Time to move on to the next chapter of SU football.

No go through the process and hire the best person for the job. Promoting from within seems like a panic move. And you never hire a new coach that will effect your program for years just to keep a couple recruits in a class ranked in the low 70's. Get the best person possible and let the chips fall where they will.

After doing all the interviews this week if Shafer is still the best person then so be it.

Rocco, I am starting tom think that is the way to go. I gave some thought to Hack but he has time to grow- he is only 33. If he stays a couple of years and succeeds he can write his own ticket. His Dad will probably counsel him in that manner.

Shafer is set to have a much improved D next year so the switch to HC might be easier than Hack from OC to HC.

Still not sure yet but leaning to your point of view.

No go through the process and hire the best person for the job. Promoting from within seems like a panic move. And you never hire a new coach that will effect your program for years just to keep a couple recruits in a class ranked in the low 70's. Get the best person possible and let the chips fall where they will.

After doing all the interviews this week if Shafer is still the best person then so be it.
If nothing else, you're persistent.

Best case scenario is we keep Shafer and Hackett together. I think doing so we can keep the defections to a very low minimum and the recruits from De-commiting.

Keep Hack at OC with promotion to AHC and a nice raise.

Keeps the team happy and is best case scenario for continuity of what is going on right now.

Recruits will settle down and will still have familiar faces.

Allows for the quickest and most seamless transition.

Keeps D & O the same, and fits to the players already on the roster and the ones coming in.

Has potential to keep staff together, will be defections regardless but not as many.

Get it done TGD. Time to move on to the next chapter of SU football.
I'll bite. Assume that everyone stays on after we hire Shafer as HC. What does he do to fill the job responsibilities that are now open?

I dunno... I am torn... On principal, I want to say do all the interviews and hire the best coach.

From a practical sense, we have momentum, our O & D are solid, the players are bought and sold on it, we've recruited players to fit into it... would be nice to have some continuity and Schafer/Hackett would definitely provide that.

...as opposed to a lost year where new coach/new system is installed... players that don't fit it transfer, we need to recruit for new systems and target different players and build depth... yada yada...

Schafer seems to be quite the closer on the recruiting front. Definitely the guy you want coming in last minute to put the nail in the coffin..

If Shafer is the next HC, we will stumble through another decade.

I think that's a dumb move to hire shaffer. Why rush into something that is important. Be thorough with the evaluations and hire the best man for the job. In my opinion if it isn't golden I'd like to see konrads suggestion.

Unless we can legitimately get Bob Diaco, I absolutely agree with the general sentiment here. Any way to keep Shafer, Hackett, Wheatley, Adkins, and the majority of the staff, I am completely on board with.

I think that's a dumb move to hire shaffer. Why rush into something that is important. Be thorough with the evaluations and hire the best man for the job. In my opinion if it isn't golden I'd like to see konrads suggestion.
Why? Because it's Konrad's suggestion? Honestly, and I'm really wondering, what did you ever know about Matt Patricia before Rob Konrad mentioned him?

For those in the know, how well does the staff get along? If the money was right (within reason of course) and we promoted from within, do you see them wanting to stick together?

Head Coaches are over rated. Assistant coaches do all the work. If you have a chance to retain most the current staff then do it. They work well together, they have proven to win and they will get better as they go. If you can t get a proven coach and big name guy then it would be smart to go with shafer. Its safe and its low risk.

Schafer seems to be quite the closer on the recruiting front. Definitely the guy you want coming in last minute to put the nail in the coffin..

If Shafer is the next HC, we will stumble through another decade.

That is completely unbased.

That is completely unbased.
How so? No proven track record. Just don't see him leading SU anywhere but into further mediocrity.

How so? No proven track record. Just don't see him leading SU anywhere but into further mediocrity.

That doesn't mean he will be an awful hire. Good grief.

Quick fact: every first-time HC starts off with no track record as HC.

For those in the know, how well does the staff get along? If the money was right (within reason of course) and we promoted from within, do you see them wanting to stick together?
Daoust and Morrison are Shafer's guys, right? So if he stays, they likely will (and vice versa). I don't think Hackett has any prior/long-standing connections with anyone on the offensive side, so we could be rebuilding the O whether he's retained or not.

The big question remains: is it possible to promote one and retain the other? If so, we have the best of both worlds. Otherwise, you have to weigh:
Shafer: more potential continuity on D (but it's generally easier to change systems on that side of the ball);
Hackett: key to maintaining our promising offensive system (also the side where we've seen more concerns from our top recruits), but you gotta replace most/all of the D staff and possibly key offensive coaches;
Outside hire: blow the whole thing up and start over - hopefully with a system that suits the current roster. You can't force any current staff on them, but a token representative is usually retained - Anselmo fits that bill nicely (Jack of all trades who could be gone once the new guy gets to know his way around here). A name hire or charismatic type could salvage this years class.

Final note is people trying to weigh a prefence from TGD's quotes need to realize that he isn't going to state a preference for one or the other because it might not be his call. DM could end up taking his choice first or they might find another opportunity on their own.

I dunno... I am torn... On principal, I want to say do all the interviews and hire the best coach.

From a practical sense, we have momentum, our O & D are solid, the players are bought and sold on it, we've recruited players to fit into it... would be nice to have some continuity and Schafer/Hackett would definitely provide that.

...as opposed to a lost year where new coach/new system is installed... players that don't fit it transfer, we need to recruit for new systems and target different players and build depth... yada yada...

Wouldn't know be the perfect time to turn it over? We lost our three top players on offense. Pugh who most consider the reason why everything turned around our senior QB and WR.

I didn't say awful, relax.. Said mediocre. I as a fan can't get behind the guy just to keep the recruiting class together. Gus is out. ZA may be too.

We have a problem getting talent on the hill. Anything less than a proven recruiter is a waste of out time and we will enjoy fighting for bowl eligibility for the next decade.

I didn't say awful, relax.. Said mediocre. I as a fan can't get behind the guy just to keep the recruiting class together. Gus is out. ZA may be too.

We have a problem getting talent on the hill. Anything less than a proven recruiter is a waste of out time and we will enjoy fighting for bowl eligibility for the next decade.

Fair enough. At this point, keeping the recruiting class together is just one of the reasons. Not the only reason, and far from the most important...

It's not the recruiter. Players today become infatuated with facilities. SU lags. You could be a great salesman, but you can't sell DOS programs to a software company. I think you get my drift.

Nothing has been confirmed yet. Maybe both Gus and Zach approve?

Paul Passqualoni was a assistant under Mac. That worked out for awhile. Everyone is going to have different opinions about what direction we should take. We have to pray that Gross and the administration knows what they are doing. If Shafer's the leading canadidate right now I will bet you a million dollars that marrone reccomended him for the Job. If marrone trust him to finish what he started at SU, and not let what he did go to waste, that says alot.

Zach stated that he likes Hackett so if we can keep him as OC he should still come

Daoust and Morrison are Shafer's guys, right? So if he stays, they likely will (and vice versa). I don't think Hackett has any prior/long-standing connections with anyone on the offensive side, so we could be rebuilding the O whether he's retained or not.

The big question remains: is it possible to promote one and retain the other?
Of course it is. Hackett has been a D-1A coach for how many years now? 3? And he is going to think he was treated unfairly if he doesn't get our HC gig at his age and with his experience? Throw some more money at him (which he has earned anyway, IMO) and let him get a few more years under his belt during which he can show that he doesn't need Marrone by his side to be successful. Then he can rationally believe that he has earned shots at HC jobs. Even then, it would help if he had experience as an actual coach somewhere else. Shafer has seen how programs are run at MAC schools, Stanford, Michigan, and now SU. Perspective.

And tons of great recruiters flop as head coaches. I'm happy with Shafer, though I prefer hackett.

If he stumbles and the team looks Robinsonesque next year we need to cut the cord quickly, but I don't see that happening.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom