Hire Scott Shafer now. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hire Scott Shafer now.

If Shafer's the leading canadidate right now I will bet you a million dollars that marrone reccomended him for the Job. If marrone trust him to finish what he started at SU, and not let what he did go to waste, that says alot.

Without question, great post.

Lets play a hypothetical for everyone...

If Shafer was lets say the DC at Miami...

His defense had the exact same stats and record as Syracuse had for 4 years
His recruiting record is the exact same meaning he landed and got the same recruits

Would you consider him for the job? Or are we only considering him because he has been the Syracuse DC for the last 4 years?

If you take a step back and if Shafer didn't have the name Syracuse already attached to him we would not be interested in him IMO.

And I do think it will be Shafer probably announced in the next couple of days.

His recruiting record is the exact same meaning he landed and got the same recruits

Would you consider him for the job? Or are we only considering him because he has been the Syracuse DC for the last 4 years?

If you take a step back and if Shafer didn't have the name Syracuse already attached to him we would not be interested in him IMO.

As someone already pointed out, if it weren't January 7th, I think DG may have performed a more thorough search.

I am not completely sold, however, that Shafer wouldn't have had a legit shot regardless of the timing of this.

There is something to be said about continuity in a program, especially at such a fragile time.

I'm sure others will disagree.

What if he was DC at Texas? Just won the Rose Bowl, finished #5 in the country and bringing in a top 15 recruiting class.

Would you like that hire?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Of course it is. Hackett has been a D-1A coach for how many years now? 3? And he is going to think he was treated unfairly if he doesn't get our HC gig at his age and with his experience? Throw some more money at him (which he has earned anyway, IMO) and let him get a few more years under his belt during which he can show that he doesn't need Marrone by his side to be successful. Then he can rationally believe that he has earned shots at HC jobs. Even then, it would help if he had experience as an actual coach somewhere else. Shafer has seen how programs are run at MAC schools, Stanford, Michigan, and now SU. Perspective.

The question is whether Hackett wants to be a collegiate head coach or a NFL head coach. He strikes me more as a NFL guy.

IMO, if he isn't the HC, he is going to be the QB coach with Buffalo.

We should slow down... a JC transfer saying Shafer was the HC for now leaves some degree of interpretation...lets let it play out, it's not as if the recruits have been given any real insight as to what's occurring up to this point.

BTW, any semi competent AD should have a future hire list on hand at all times for SHTF moments like this...know what you're gonna do long before you have to do it.

As someone already pointed out, if it weren't January 7th, I think DG may have performed a more thorough search.

I am not completely sold, however, that Shafer wouldn't have had a legit shot regardless of the timing of this.

There is something to be said about continuity in a program, especially at such a fragile time.

I'm sure others will disagree.
I agree, if this was a month ago it would have been a more thorough search. There would have been more quality applicants like addazio or petrino. Right now there's not many good hires out there.

I agree, if this was a month ago it would have been a more thorough search. There would have been more quality applicants like addazio or petrino. Right now there's not many good hires out there.
I would not use the term "quality" in relation to that man.

Hire the best man for the job?

Just exactly how do you do that? How many NFL teams that have beaucoup money to throw at anybody that they want, and supposedly have the best football minds in the business doing the hiring, ended up firing their best man head coaches this past week?

It's a crap shoot. No guarantee anybody can hire the "best man".

I'll bite. Assume that everyone stays on after we hire Shafer as HC. What does he do to fill the job responsibilities that are now open?

Please clarify and I will try and answer...

Disagree. It would be nice, for a damn change, to see our University show our new conference brethren that we are serious about playing big-time college football. We seem to be so conservative in basically everything that we do (money wise and coaching change wise).

Would love nothing more for this BOT to surprise me and tell TGD to bring back some quality candidates. Here's 10 million bucks, go find a bad ass staff. Go give Golden a ring, call up Mullen, Ring up Diaco after he loses tonight. Hell, call up Herm Edwards. If they say no, then you move on.

And if it ends back up at Shafer/Hackett, then so be it. And this is in no way Shafer/Hackett bashing. I like them both -- a lot. But we're talking about the head coaching job of an ACC school here. We have a chance to make a bit of splash if we show some aggression. I would like eyes to perk up when they see who we have hired instead of the yawn we'll get with the Shafer hire. Not to mention, Head coach Shafer without the Hackett offense scares the absolute piss out of me.

Please clarify and I will try and answer...
Assume that Shafer takes over for Marrone and no other staff depart. Fill out our staff and list job responsibilities. What do you do with the one hire you can make?

Assume that Shafer takes over for Marrone and no other staff depart. Fill out our staff and list job responsibilities. What do you do with the one hire you can make?

Promote Timmy Daoust to DC. He is a disciple of SS.

Promote Hack to AHC with a nice raise.

Keep everything else the same.

Promote Timmy Daoust to DC. He is a disciple of SS.

Promote Hack to AHC with a nice raise.

Keep everything else the same.
Who coaches DL, if Daoust focuses only on being DC? Who coaches specials? What position do you hire for?

Who coaches DL, if Daoust focuses only on being DC? Who coaches specials? What position do you hire for?

I'm hiring a full-time ST coach. I'd go big here.

Prob leave Daoust in charge of DL as well.

Keep Hack at OC with promotion to AHC and a nice raise.

Hire someone who will continue to light up the Dome offensively suited to our current players and incoming recruits.

Keeps the team happy and is best case scenario for continuity of what is going on right now.

Recruits will settle down and will still have familiar faces.

Allows for the quickest and most seamless transition.

Keeps D & O the same, and fits to the players already on the roster and the ones coming in.

Has potential to keep staff together, will be defections regardless but not as many. Good luck Hack.

Get it done TGD got it done. Time to move on to the next chapter of SU football.

Welcome ing aboard HCSS, we are damn glad to have you!!!

Fixed a few things. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom