Historic Dome win | Syracusefan.com

Historic Dome win

It would be interesting to see a listing of the 94 losses.

It would be interesting to see a listing of the 94 losses.

This is what I have:

Maryland
Connecticut 11
Villanova 11
St. Joseph’s
Boston College 5
DePaul
St. John’s 7
Georgetown 9
North Carolina
Oklahoma
Notre Dame 6
*Navy* [NCAA]
Pittsburgh 10
Providence 3
West Virginia
Eastern Michigan
Seton Hall 5
*Florida State* [NIT]
Ohio
Miami 2
Tennessee
North Carolina State
UNC-Charlotte
Bucknell
Cincinnati
Wichita State
Drexel
Massachusetts
Rhode Island
Cleveland State
Louisville 3

Some notes:

This adds up to 92, so I must've missed something.

We lost the first two Carrier Classics in the Dome.

No wonder we remember Nova as a thorn in our side - through probation, they were the most successful Dome opponent, winning as many times as Georgetown. They've kept it up better, beating us somewhat frequently under Lappas and Wright.

Pitt and Seton Hall both had no success against us for a long period, then beat us at home in three straight years. Pitt has kept it up since then, too, after their weak stretch in the '90s and subsequent decision to play football on the hardwood.

It's easy to remember Eastern Michigan et al., but we really haven't had that many non-conference losses. Notre Dame did beat us three times before entering the Big East, but we don't get upset at home too often. Especially when you throw out our five weakest teams of the Dome era.

Connecticut crushed us in the '90s and for most of the '00s. We knew that, but wow. Outside of the mid-'80s, we've handled Georgetown.

again. we had a small crowd, lots of decent seats available. first ACC game, 500th dome win, kids on break and the Dome marketing crew sat on their hands again..

It boggles the mind that they'll print up t-shirts when we get ranked #1 but don't even mention an actual milestone win.

All the words Mr. Excitement wastes during an average game and no one can feed him this information?

This is what I have:

Maryland
Connecticut 11
Villanova 11
St. Joseph’s
Boston College 5
DePaul
St. John’s 7
Georgetown 9
North Carolina
Oklahoma
Notre Dame 6
*Navy* [NCAA]
Pittsburgh 10
Providence 3
West Virginia
Eastern Michigan
Seton Hall 5
*Florida State* [NIT]
Ohio
Miami 2
Tennessee
North Carolina State
UNC-Charlotte
Bucknell
Cincinnati
Wichita State
Drexel
Massachusetts
Rhode Island
Cleveland State
Louisville 3

Some notes:

This adds up to 92, so I must've missed something.

We lost the first two Carrier Classics in the Dome.

No wonder we remember Nova as a thorn in our side - through probation, they were the most successful Dome opponent, winning as many times as Georgetown. They've kept it up better, beating us somewhat frequently under Lappas and Wright.

Pitt and Seton Hall both had no success against us for a long period, then beat us at home in three straight years. Pitt has kept it up since then, too, after their weak stretch in the '90s and subsequent decision to play football on the hardwood.

It's easy to remember Eastern Michigan et al., but we really haven't had that many non-conference losses. Notre Dame did beat us three times before entering the Big East, but we don't get upset at home too often. Especially when you throw out our five weakest teams of the Dome era.

Connecticut crushed us in the '90s and for most of the '00s. We knew that, but wow. Outside of the mid-'80s, we've handled Georgetown.

Seeing Bucknell, Wichita St, Cleveland St, Drexel, Rhode Island, UMass....it still ticks me off how all these mid majors came into the Dome and beat us in that 2-3 year stretch. Unheard of. We never lost to teams like that before, and we haven't lost to them since.

In 2007-2008 we lost twice to UMass, in the regular season and NIT

Seeing Bucknell, Wichita St, Cleveland St, Drexel, Rhode Island, UMass...it still ticks me off how all these mid majors came into the Dome and beat us in that 2-3 year stretch. Unheard of. We never lost to teams like that before, and we haven't lost to them since.
I was just going to type that. Might be some of the reason the fan nervousness comes out, as that wasn't that long ago. E Mich shook us to our core as that never should have happened. I remember storming out of the Dome and heading straight to a bar in '82 when St. Joe's beat us in the Carrier Classic, precisely as that should not have happened.

Last edited:
Wow honest to God, I couldn't tell you one thing about loss to UMass in the NIT. I remember the first one as UMass scored like 350 pts.

For the second one, I remember reading that we hadn't lost to a non-conference team twice in one season in like 90 years (Penn State was that team). We jumped out and got a big lead on UMass (~18 points) and were scoring well, then watched it evaporate as our flaws (bad shot selection, careless ball-handling, lazy defense) reared their ugly collective head for one last time.

That was the closest I've ever been to being happy for a season to end.

For the second one, I remember reading that we hadn't lost to a non-conference team twice in one season in like 90 years (Penn State was that team). We jumped out and got a big lead on UMass (~18 points) and were scoring well, then watched it evaporate as our flaws (bad shot selection, careless ball-handling, lazy defense) reared their ugly collective head for one last time.

That was the closest I've ever been to being happy for a season to end.
That may be why I wiped it from the memory bank. Defense mechanism. The one season that I couldn't wait to end was 2001-02. At least then we had a decent NIT showing after a dismal Regular Season Ending. Even the wins were discouraging.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom