History Question | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

History Question

Absolutely no chance. He simply doesn't have any numbers and he was 3rd best player on the champ team behind Kawhi and Siakam. No way.

He’s a five time All-Star with another All-Star season or two season probably left in the tank.

Zion is being given kudos he hasn't even begun to earn. At this point, I wouldn't bet on him being a regular all star. He looks to have a tendency to get "large", which can very well lead to injury, and he has no perimeter game to speak of. Strong, athletic, and agility are great starting points but he hasn't made a single shot in the NBA, yet. He will be exciting, but he's no Barkley or Shaq.

Would have said Ewing didn't realize magic and mj played here. Have to to give it to.the goat.

Good point. The Sixers played the Nets in an exhibition game in the Dome in 91. Charles Barkley was on that Sixers team.

Yes! I was there. Coleman playing for the Nets.

If one were to expand the list to include Syracuse residents, you could add Dolph Schayes and Danny Biasone.

Jordan
Magic
J Erving
P Ewing
Olajuwon
Drexler
D Robinson

Yea, Zion has a ways to go.
Yeah, let him play at leas 1 actual pro game before promoting him to "all time best"! And more like 8-10 years. I really hate when people try to push crrent players over all the great players in the past.

How about Bernard King. He had to have played in the Dome.

Not sure about Bernard King, but I'm pretty sure Albert King helped Maryland hand SU its first Carrier Classic loss in the first Carrier Classic played in the Carrier Dome.

Can we get a list of hall of famers and locks to be one in the future who played at the Dome in college?

In now:
Jordan
Ewing
Hakeem
Drexler
Robinson
Mullin
Mourning
Mutumbo
Iverson
Allen

Will be in:
Anthony

Did I miss anyone?

Tony Gonzalez

Pretty sure Vince Carter played at the Dome as well.

Yup. 97 sweet 16 and elite 8 games vs. Cal and Louisville.

That UNC-Louisville game was the last win of Dean Smith’s career. I took a good photo from up close of him cutting the net down.

Pretty sure Vince Carter played at the Dome as well.
Yep, but not against SU. He played there twice (assuming no NBA exhibitions) when SU hosted the East Regional in the 96-97 season. UNC played 2 games there, advancing to the Final Four.

I remember us also hosting (and beating) Houston during the Phi Slamma Jamma years, so that means Olajuwan played in the Dome (so did Clyde the Glide).

Isn't it great we'll never play an opponent like that again in the Dome in the current climate you get a mid level B1G team every other year and Georgetown and thats it. Any other attractive OOC opponent will be played at a neutral site. Really sucks.

Isn't it great we'll never play an opponent like that again in the Dome in the current climate you get a mid level B1G team every other year and Georgetown and thats it. Any other attractive OOC opponent will be played at a neutral site. Really sucks.

Never is a long time Frankie.

Chris Bosh in 02

Great call!!

I was at that game. We were absolutely lights out and blew them right off the floor. Great game for GMac.

Bosh did have a thunderous dunk over Forth, and even though his team got hammered, you could tell he was a player.

I’d vote for him as a hall of famer.

I asked my parents this question last night (since they've been at about 90% of our home games since 1971).

Consensus was that:
a) Jordan was just another good UNC player;
b) (in a Jordan-related tangent) it's still unbelievable that Freddie Brown made such a bad pass to James Worthy 2 years earlier in the championship game;
c) Magic Johnson was the stand-out opponent in the Manley years who lived up to his billing; and
d) Boeheim was 100% justified in complaining about Magic winning Carrier Classic MVP because Marty Byrnes had a solid pair of games (how they remember this 40 years later, I don't know) and because the MVP is the guy whose team won the game, not lost it.

David Robinson's performance in the NCAAs remains the most dominating individual performance against us I have ever seen. I imagine Calvin Murphy's 68 point game would at least match that but I'm too young to remember that. (Just wanted to use the phrase "too young" pertaining to me. Don't get too many opportunities for that any more!)

Other than any Syracuse players, who was the best future NBA player to ever step foot as a college player at Manley field house? How about the dome?

Was thinking Zion may end up being that guy in the future but who knows?

Michael Jordan, Allen Iverson, David Robinson all played in the dome just off the top of my head without even thinking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom