History Question | Syracusefan.com

History Question

GooseMutt

All Conference
Other than any Syracuse players, who was the best future NBA player to ever step foot as a college player at Manley field house? How about the dome?

Was thinking Zion may end up being that guy in the future but who knows?

Jordan
Magic
J Ewing
P Ewing
Olajuwon
Drexler
D Robinson

Yea, Zion has a ways to go.
Let's not forget
Mullin
Mourning
Ray Allen
Iverson
I agree, Zion has a long way to go. It might be interesting to try and list all the Hall of Famers who played in the Dome or Manley.

Can we get a list of hall of famers and locks to be one in the future who played at the Dome in college?

In now:
Jordan
Ewing
Hakeem
Drexler
Robinson
Mullin
Mourning
Mutumbo
Iverson
Allen

Will be in:
Anthony

Did I miss anyone?

Can we get a list of hall of famers and locks to be one in the future who played at the Dome in college?

In now:
Jordan
Ewing
Hakeem
Drexler
Robinson
Mullin
Mourning
Mutumbo
Iverson
Allen

Will be in:
Anthony

Did I miss anyone?
Julius Erving played at Manley. So did Bob Lanier and Calvin Murphy.

Bob Cousy played in Syracuse against the Orangemen December 30th, 1949. Not sure if the game was at Archbold, the Armory or the State Fair.

Last edited:

In now:
Jordan
Ewing
Hakeem
Drexler
Robinson
Mullin
Mourning
Mutumbo
Iverson
Allen

Will be in:
Anthony

Did I miss anyone?
Does the Football HOF count? Can we also include Archbold? If yes then we can include Jim Brown. Any excuse to remind people the greatest athlete of all time is a Syracuse guy.

Does the Football HOF count? If yes then we can include Jim Brown.

Did Brown play on the SU basketball team in addition to football and lacrosse? I'm honestly not sure.

Did Brown play on the SU basketball team in addition to football and lacrosse? I'm honestly not sure.

I’ll toss a new name out there as a possible future HOF: Kyle Lowry.

I certainly won’t say it’s likely, at this point. In fact, I’d say it’s unlikely. But he’s a guy who has now made 5 straight all star teams, and has been one of the best players on an NBA champion. If he makes a few more AS teams(not a given - he’s 32), I think he at least gets serious HOF consideration.

He’s a guy who wasn’t even a starter until about his 5th year in the NBA and even at his peak doesn’t seem like a guy on that level(only one all NBA 3rd team selection), but he’s at making his way into the conversation at the least.

I certainly won’t say it’s likely, at this point. In fact, I’d say it’s unlikely. But he’s a guy who has now made 5 straight all star teams, and has been one of the best players on an NBA champion. If he makes a few more AS teams(not a given - he’s 32), I think he at least gets serious HOF consideration.

He’s a guy who wasn’t even a starter until about his 5th year in the NBA and even at his peak doesn’t seem like a guy on that level(only one all NBA 3rd team selection), but he’s at making his way into the conversation at the least.

65% chance for Lowry per basketballreference.com's algorithm. I'm guessing being the point guard of an NBA champion gives you a huge boost in likelihood.

That algorithm needs help. Lowry has a better chance than Klay Thompson? So does Kevin Love and Joe Johnson??? yikes.

Yeah I mean obviously Klay is a lock when he retires. My guess is that their algorithm has no way of knowing that Klay has almost certainly sacrificed stats and All-NBA appearances due to playing on a superstar team. Also, he's only been in the league for 8 years which is working against him from a formula standpoint.

Julius Erving played at Manley. So did Bob Lanier and Calvin Murphy.

Bob Cousy played in Syracuse against the Orangemen December 30th, 1949. Not sure if the game was at Archbold, the Armory or the State Fair.
Bill Raftery played at Manley. He's in a few HOFs, just not the basketball HOF.
Lord, after further review, SU did not exactly play enticing home schedules in the '60s.

A few underrated studs who played in the Dome: Reggie Lewis of Northeastern (Nov. 1986) and Lionnel Simmons of LaSalle (Dec. 1988).

Last edited:
Bill Raftery played at Manley. He's in a few HOFs, just not the basketball HOF.
Lord, after further review, SU did not exactly play enticing home schedules in the '60s.

A few underrated studs who played in the Dome: Reggie Lewis of Northeastern (Nov. 1986) and Lionnel Simmons of LaSalle (Dec. 1988).
If we are including Manley, then Bing and Boeheim are included. I know Jimmy is in the HOF as a coach, but he played at Manley.

In now:
Jordan
Ewing
Hakeem
Drexler
Robinson
Mullin
Mourning
Mutumbo
Iverson
Allen

Will be in:
Anthony

Did I miss anyone?

Where did Dave Bing play? Somewhere in Syracuse.

How about Bernard King. He had to have played in the Dome.

Also, this is a stupid one, but I believe the Harlem Globetrotters are in the HoF, and they have played in the Dome.

Where did Dave Bing play? Somewhere in Syracuse.

How about Bernard King. He had to have played in the Dome.

Also, this is a stupid one, but I believe the Harlem Globetrotters are in the HoF, and they have played in the Dome.

Dome was 1980, so Bernard was before that right? I was focusing more on Dome era, as I largely would have no idea who we played at home prior to that.

This post is weird because Zion actually never played in the Dome! Just sayin. He was injured. He can’t even be in the discussion. He never played, scored a basket, got a rebound, etc. not tryin to be a jerk, but...

King played for Tennessee in the mid-70s. He would have only played in the Dome if the Knicks had a preseason game there in the 80s.

If we were to include NBA exhibition games, the list would get a lot longer.

I remember going to the Suns-Nuggets game about 10 years ago specifically because Shaq, Nash, Grant Hill, Amare, Carmelo, and Iverson were on those teams and all seemed like possible hall of famers at the time.

If we were to include NBA exhibition games, the list would get a lot longer.

I remember going to the Suns-Nuggets game about 10 years ago specifically because Shaq, Nash, Grant Hill, Amare, Carmelo, and Iverson were on those teams and all seemed like possible hall of famers at the time.
Good point. The Sixers played the Nets in an exhibition game in the Dome in 91. Charles Barkley was on that Sixers team.

Absolutely no chance. He simply doesn't have any numbers and he was 3rd best player on the champ team behind Kawhi and Siakam. No way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom