Holding Judah Mintz to a next level standard | Syracusefan.com

Holding Judah Mintz to a next level standard

Dcuse

All Conference
I was shocked when I looked at his stats yesterday because I was screaming at him most of the game. I thought he played poorly. This kid is the best talent we’ve had in a decade. When ( not If ) the shot comes around….. we are gonna have fun.

I was shocked when I looked at his stats yesterday because I was screaming at him most of the game. I thought he played poorly. This kid is the best talent we’ve had in a decade. When ( not If ) the shot comes around….. we are gonna have fun.
You're not alone and I'm not sure why. I've heard all kinds of comments about Judah staying on his feet and passing more etc. But as you clearly state he is "the best talent we've had in a decade." He's a finisher who can wait until the last possible second and get his floater off which puts him off balance and often on the ground. He takes contact and finishes on the ground. Personally I think everyone should just sit back and enjoy his talent. People forget, Sherm used to airmail passes into the 2nd row. It was worth it for what he did other times. There is no question in my mind that in end game situations the ball needs to be in Judah's hands. His outside shot will improve and the more he becomes a focal point of the defense his passing lanes will open too. But he could use some more cutting from his forwards too.

I had the exact same experience! I was picking my top 3 and looked at the box score and realized he didn't have as bad a game considering how annoyed I was several times.

You're not alone and I'm not sure why. I've heard all kinds of comments about Judah staying on his feet and passing more etc. But as you clearly state he is "the best talent we've had in a decade." He's a finisher who can wait until the last possible second and get his floater off which puts him off balance and often on the ground. He takes contact and finishes on the ground. Personally I think everyone should just sit back and enjoy his talent. People forget, Sherm used to airmail passes into the 2nd row. It was worth it for what he did other times. There is no question in my mind that in end game situations the ball needs to be in Judah's hands. His outside shot will improve and the more he becomes a focal point of the defense his passing lanes will open too. But he could use some more cutting from his forwards too.

Yeah Judah is out there making things happen. Mistakes come with the territory as a young player doing what he does. That said he can do things not many others can in the ACC let alone for us. Judah is the real deal through and through

Mintz has lots of skill. He needs to hone it for ACC play if the Orange are to go deep in the ACC tourney. He will develop his outside shot, probably in the off-season working with the staff.

In H.S., he obviously did whatever he wanted to do against opponents. He can almost do that now. I think his dribbling needs to get closer to his body for tighter control, but this will only be a major problem against elite level defenders as he is already chewing up and spitting out good to very good defenders (i.e. this is not harsh criticism, merely observing a point to better his game).

I know some think he will be ready for the NBA, but I think he needs another year, especially to develop the outside shot. Selfishly, I hope he needs another year or two.

The entire class makes leaves me optimistic, especially as they grow together and with Benny W. Even so, with Mintz handling the ball, JG3 able to play the 2 spot and Jesse Edwards playing well, the others are rising to the occasion. Though JB has to figure out which kids to play each game, it is fun to watch them grow together. This is a good group and JB is coaching more than babysitting, with the luxury of a bench, something the Orange have lacked in recent years for various reasons.

Another thing about Mintz and the underclassmen, they don't "know" to be afraid of the ACC. Each underclassman is hungry to play on the hardwood. They push each other and Mintz as well. Mintz responds well to pressure and in this manner reminds me of Carmello Anthony, he just isn't going to get down, he knows he will take control of the game. This makes it hard to remember that Mintz was playingin H.S. gyms a year ago.

I noticed in this game that when Boeheim took him out (and sat him for a good while, I think), I saw him stand up and clap when one of his teammates got a basket or had a good play. I may be wrong about this (my mind - - it’s terrible :confused: ) but I think earlier in the season when Boeheim would sit him, he looked sulky to me.This is a good development, and tells me that he’s beginning to understand that he can be a star while also being part of a T E A M.

He’s been great.

A couple of areas for improvement.

Would love him to get more legs into his up and under move. He leaves them a bit short. Just needs to get stronger.

He needs to recognize how important transition defense and floor balance matters in ACC play.

It’s nice not to have your PG get stripped for a breakaway once a game.

I think they should scheme to get him the ball on the move more, with his man chasing. He can get into the lane but not at will. With a slight advantage, he'd be close to unstoppable.

They did that once or twice yesterday. It worked really well.

Does he stay or does he go?
I think he has too much to work on to go to the NBA, but another year or two and he will be ready for the NBA. He is too slippery for most defenders and dishes to everyone well. He needs to develop the outside shot and, as noted by Jake, he needs strength for his inside play and to work on his transition defense. All of which will be necessary for the ACC and the NBA.

I think he has too much to work on to go to the NBA, but another year or two and he will be ready for the NBA. He is too slippery for most defenders and dishes to everyone well. He needs to develop the outside shot and, as noted by Jake, he needs strength for his inside play and to work on his transition defense. All of which will be necessary for the ACC and the NBA.
Sadly, all that “ too much to work on” stuff makes no difference whatsoever. He will more than likely leave after this year. Kids with a fraction of his talent have left early and been drafted. I HATE the NBA.

Love him. Needs to have a passable outside/ 3 point shot. He doesn’t need to have a great percentage from there. ( 33-34%) He‘s currently shooting 17.9%. However he needs to be able to keep defenses honest so if they purposely sag back from him daring him to shoot that he can eventually make totally open shots. He can’t start chucking in games, he needs to work hard on it being consistent in workouts, then practice. We’ve had point guards drafted high despite not being great 3 point shooters but they were at least 30 - 35% from 3. It would help if he can get his assist to turnover rate higher than a 2 average too. He’s fun to watch develop. Would love to see him here another year.

Jonny Flynn shot 33.3% from 3 at SU - 6.0 assist/2.7 TO=2.7 assist to TO
Tyler Ennis shot 35.3% from 3 here-5.5 assist/1.7 TO=3.24 assists to TO
MCW shot shot 30.7%- 5.2 assist/2.3 TO=2.26 assists to TO
Judah Mintz shot 17.9% - 4.2 assist/2.1 TO=2 assists to TO

Love him. Needs to have a passable outside/ 3 point shot. He doesn’t need to have a great percentage from there. ( 33-34%) He‘s currently shooting 17.9%. However he needs to be able to keep defenses honest so if they purposely sag back from him daring him to shoot that he can eventually make totally open shots. He can’t start chucking in games, he needs to work hard on it being consistent in workouts, then practice. We’ve had point guards drafted high despite not being great 3 point shooters but they were at least 30 - 35% from 3. It would help if he can get his assist to turnover rate higher than a 2 average too. He’s fun to watch develop. Would love to see him here another year.

One thing I really liked against BC was the catch and slash cuts he made to the hoop. Clearly those were part of an offensive set and they were unguardable with his speed and athleticism.

When it comes to the 3ball, he needs something similar. He is either taking it after a short step back because the defender is giving it to him or rushed off the bounce. In what I saw at Oak Hill, he was taking kick outs or a swing pass vs taking them off an iso move on the perimeter. This can get him into rhythm. It also is the more common identity for everyone who isn't a 3pt marksman. Example being- Taylor has a great shot but right not it's the catch and fire off a screen that is his comfort shot. Judah needs to take the looks that work for him not just take it because it's being given. While Symir hasn't been great, his go to is the dribble step back 3 and it works for him.

He has been very good. Like his backcourt partner he needs to focus on shot selection. Our margin for error is too slim - every possession matters.

He has been very good. Like his backcourt partner he needs to focus on shot selection. Our margin for error is too slim - every possession matters.

Offensive efficiency hasn't been bad this year. Certainly lots of room for improvement but we aren't a turnover prone team at all with roughly 11 per game. Shot selection is probably our biggest offensive weakness right now.

Our primary issues have been on D. We've looked better in parts of games but overall not where we need to be - especially defending in transition.

Sadly, all that “ too much to work on” stuff makes no difference whatsoever. He will more than likely leave after this year. Kids with a fraction of his talent have left early and been drafted. I HATE the NBA.
Ditto.
However, with Covid easing, the international talent this year (top to bottom) is stacked.
I think that plus NIL crowds out some players like Mintz.
And he likely won’t have the NCAAT stage to show off his talents.

Very good post. I thought this was the generation that everyone wanted to be Steph Curry now? Yet our top recruit can't make a 3 to save his life? It's kind of mind boggling to me.

Last edited:
Very good post. I thought this the generation that everyone wanted to be Steph Curry now? Yet our top recruit can't make a 3 to save his life? It's kind of mind boggling to me.

It’s crazy that Judah is basically Buss Patterson from 3 so far in his career.

The difference is - Judah is good from the FT line, which bodes well.

Some people just can’t shoot the ball well.
That said - it is a teachable skill.

They used to call Jason Kidd “Ason”-
Because he had no J. ;)

Later in his career be became a more than serviceable 3pt shooter.

Jerami Grant shot 0-5 from 3 here as a Soph, before JAB banned him from shooting 3’s.
(And his FT shooting was kinda meh too;
and for a guy who got a lot of dunks and putbacks, he never broke 50% from the floor)

Fast forward to now, and he’s become a lethal 3pt shooter in the NBA.

So - guys can indeed get better at shooting 3’s.
Let’s hope Judah does, because it will open up his game and make him nearly unguardable.

Mintz has lots of skill. He needs to hone it for ACC play if the Orange are to go deep in the ACC tourney. He will develop his outside shot, probably in the off-season working with the staff.

In H.S., he obviously did whatever he wanted to do against opponents. He can almost do that now. I think his dribbling needs to get closer to his body for tighter control, but this will only be a major problem against elite level defenders as he is already chewing up and spitting out good to very good defenders (i.e. this is not harsh criticism, merely observing a point to better his game).

I know some think he will be ready for the NBA, but I think he needs another year, especially to develop the outside shot. Selfishly, I hope he needs another year or two.

The entire class makes leaves me optimistic, especially as they grow together and with Benny W. Even so, with Mintz handling the ball, JG3 able to play the 2 spot and Jesse Edwards playing well, the others are rising to the occasion. Though JB has to figure out which kids to play each game, it is fun to watch them grow together. This is a good group and JB is coaching more than babysitting, with the luxury of a bench, something the Orange have lacked in recent years for various reasons.

Another thing about Mintz and the underclassmen, they don't "know" to be afraid of the ACC. Each underclassman is hungry to play on the hardwood. They push each other and Mintz as well. Mintz responds well to pressure and in this manner reminds me of Carmello Anthony, he just isn't going to get down, he knows he will take control of the game. This makes it hard to remember that Mintz was playingin H.S. gyms a year ago.
great post.

yeah the team always seems to be a year or so away from being great (albeit with a perpetual one year window) ever since the portal came into effect...

Mintz is a special player - destined for the big time, imo

i'm reminded of a quote/cliche/idiom - "with great talent, comes great responsibility"

mintz is held to high standard - the PG always is...

with him, he obviously has SO MUCH talent and is just scratching the surface on using it, it seems...and he is learning and improving and growing into the PG position...he is coachable! and learns well...but still figuring it out...

so it's easy as fans to be tantalized and hope for/expect even better play from him...there is a domnant PG inside of him waiting to come out, imo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom