Holy Crap | Syracusefan.com

Holy Crap

HoustonCuse

2020-21 Iggy Winner Lead Scorer & Post Season Rcd
This team looked the world beaters we have been over the past 5 years in the first half. Then in the second "they were what we thought they were." Good god.

1. Free Throws
2. Roberson is a demon on the glass!
3. Pretty doggone good game by Patterson

Patterson cannot hit a jump shot and was 1/4 on free throws in the final minute.

He did some good things but it's hard for me to be overly encouraged by this game.

Patterson cannot hit a jump shot and was 1/4 on free throws in the final minute.

He did some good things but it's hard for me to be overly encouraged by this game.

But he played credible lead guard for good stretches of the game and the offense tends to flow better when he is in there. I was encouraged.

Patterson wiped out all the good will he build up with his FT shooting. I can't get encouraged when a guard can't make clutch FTs.

Patterson has no business being on the floor. His defense isn't good enough to make up for that wretched offense.

team folds under tight physical defense. teams haven't used it against us in the first half just the second. It has nothing to do with holding on imo. I Dredd the day they do it for two halfs against us.

getting better against the press, we play good defense, we have excellent half court transition offense (when we get the looks), we jsut struggle against physical smothering defense.

G and cooney not making shots off the dribble, using their physicallity when the pressure d comes, xmas only receiving long passes when the pressure comes (instead of short), no buckets off swing passes when the pressure d comes,. We didn't even put roberson and mccullough in the post together to utilize our size to get a layups/get to the line when the pressure d came.

Only good play I can remember of the first 16 minutes of the second half that wasn't off a rebound was a buss drive layup due to a rak screen inside, and that may have been the game winner.

We are really bad against pressure defense right now. Said it a game or two ago, referencing the nova game and it happened again. Foresaw this one. Sadly, I don't think we can learn that in practice imo.

Last edited:
team folds under tight physical defense. teams haven't used it against us in the first half just the second. It has nothing to do with holding on imo. I Dredd the day they do it for two halfs against us.

That day will come when we play Louisville. I'd be shocked if we are competitive against them and their pressure.

iommi, I agree on Louisville, but losing by 100 and losing by 1 to them is the same and we rarely beat them even when we are great, so no big deal on that one.

two3, dude you are hurting today my brother! Take a swig of whiskey and call me in the morning!

Patterson has no business being on the floor. His defense isn't good enough to make up for that wretched offense.

Patterson 8 pts, 3 asst, 2 rb, 1 block, 0 to & 2 fouls in 21 min.
Joseph 2 pts (off free throws), 3 asst, 1 to & 4 fouls in 17 min.

Yeah, because the star freshman is so much better. At least Patterson is a scoring threat off the dribble. Even VT knew they could play off Joseph because he is no scoring threat.

I'm not here to say Buss is perfect by any stretch, but he is better on defense than Joseph is, and he is more of a scoring threat as well. If he ever starts hitting those open 3's he gets several times a game, he will truly be a decent option.

I think JB did right today. You see which KJ is going to show up, you give him as much PT as you can afford to do, and you teach. He will get it. I hope it happens this year. only time will tell.

Even before this season began, I had already come to terms with this team being a young team with a lot to learn. I figured they would improve as the season went along, but there will be an unusually large number of losses.

Antiprodigy said:
Patterson 8 pts, 3 asst, 2 rb, 1 block, 0 to & 2 fouls in 21 min. Joseph 2 pts (off free throws), 3 asst, 1 to & 4 fouls in 17 min. Yeah, because the star freshman is so much better. At least Patterson is a scoring threat off the dribble. Even VT knew they could play off Joseph because he is no scoring threat. I'm not here to say Buss is perfect by any stretch, but he is better on defense than Joseph is, and he is more of a scoring threat as well. If he ever starts hitting those open 3's he gets several times a game, he will truly be a decent option. I think JB did right today. You see which KJ is going to show up, you give him as much PT as you can afford to do, and you teach. He will get it. I hope it happens this year. only time will tell. Even before this season began, I had already come to terms with this team being a young team with a lot to learn. I figured they would improve as the season went along, but there will be an unusually large number of losses.

I didn't say play Joseph, but no reason G doesn't play at the top of the zone and our blue chip recruit doesn't play more.

This team looked the world beaters we have been over the past 5 years in the first half. Then in the second "they were what we thought they were." Good god.

1. Free Throws

Wow! That was frighteningly ugly. We almost wound up being the "turning the corner moment" on VT's season recap video.

Most disappointing is McCullough. What happened to him? Boeheim seems to have lost confidence in both of his freshmen. I've always had a problem with the quick hook because usually the guys playing more also have moments when they look equally hapless. The substitution pattern can often seem arbitrary and it has bitten us in the @ss at the end of the year when the grind of the season really starts to show for the guys on the floor and there's no second option. I'd like to hope that things are going to get significantly better for McCullough and Joseph but we generally haven't done a bang-up job of developing young players during the season unless they're force-fed minutes.

1. Free Throws
Patterson cannot be on the floor at the end of games.. Worse than his free throws were the missed WIDE OPEN threes that could have had us up 30 by half. His shooting is abysmal

I didn't say play Joseph, but no reason G doesn't play at the top of the zone and our blue chip recruit doesn't play more.

Since you are obviously new to SU basketball, I will let you in on a little secret about JB and the zone. IF a player doesn't play good defense and doesn't know how to play the defense, he has to be a truly transcendent offensive force in order for JB to play him.

As our blue chip is not a transcendent offensive force, and clearly is lost on defense, he is going to get limited playing time. The reason Roberson is getting PT over Cmac is because he is finally starting to understand where he is supposed to be and when on defense.

The thing about the zone is it breaks down easily when just one player is out of position. It creates problems for the other players, and the major problem it creates is pressure on the Center.

If you will notice, the past few games, as Cmac's minutes have dropped, Xmas has not had foul problems.

Antiprodigy said:
Since you are obviously new to SU basketball, I will let you in on a little secret about JB and the zone. IF a player doesn't play good defense and doesn't know how to play the defense, he has to be a truly transcendent offensive force in order for JB to play him. As our blue chip is not a transcendent offensive force, and clearly is lost on defense, he is going to get limited playing time. The reason Roberson is getting PT over Cmac is because he is finally starting to understand where he is supposed to be and when on defense. The thing about the zone is it breaks down easily when just one player is out of position. It creates problems for the other players, and the major problem it creates is pressure on the Center. If you will notice, the past few games, as Cmac's minutes have dropped, Xmas has not had foul problems.

Lol, yes I'm new.

How many corner 3s did G give up from his corner? How many times was a guy open from said corner?

Roberson and McCullough can play at the same time, there's no reason G can't play at the top of the zone with Cooney.

1. Free Throws
Hey, what did I miss? Win or loss? :)
Board meltdown is currently running at 98% and I get that we blew this one, nearly gave them the win. But, but, but, but we won.
Yay!
giphy.gif

It's funny that you think joseph is good

if our "blue chip" recruit played more, would have lost. I think JB would agree.

Eagles20 said:
It's funny that you think joseph is good

I don't think either of then are honestly. G's running the point anyways just let him do it and give Roberson, and McCullough the minutes at the 3/4. Hell, throw BJ out there every once in awhile too.

This is your quote from the first half game thread "Patterson's best game of his career easily. Great penetration and interior decision making". Fan sensationalism at its best ...

Are you serious? Kaleb Joseph doesn't even attempt to take wide open three point shots, which causes the defense to pack it into the middle and makes it next to impossible for rak to get the ball without being tripple teamed, the floor spacing with patterson in is a thousand times better...look at huge first half run we had...KJ was on the bench. Patterson may not sink the shots however he will take wide open looks so that the defense has to come out and play the perimeter guys, which allows roc to get the ball down low

wadegarrett said:
if our "blue chip" recruit played more, would have lost. I think JB would agree.

I'm glad you can predict what could have happened.

I don't see what Buss did on offense that was irreplaceable.

wadegarrett said:
This is your quote from the first half game thread "Patterson's best game of his career easily. Great penetration and interior decision making". Fan sensationalism at its best ...

You mean when he came in and promptly jacked up a brick from three?

Joseph made a 360 lay-up once...must mean he's great. I just don't see the love affair with him. He is getting better but Is definitely not ready to be a point guard. He's pysically weak, out of position and lazy on D. Never in correct postion in the press break. He consistently throws weak passes. Can't bring up the ball against mid major token full court man d. Hopefully he continues to improve.

I'm glad you can predict what could have happened.

I don't see what Buss did on offense that was irreplaceable.

and what did you see from Kaleb on offense that was irreplaceable? He's going to a great PG, but he's not ready. Every time a defender comes within 5 feet of him, he picks up his dribble. He's not creating ball movement and he's not getting the ball inside.

While Patterson only had 3 assists, he had some great entry passes (some of which weren't converted) and he moved the ball well. Also, he's a much better defender. JB doesn't pull a player when he jacks a ill-advised three. He pulls players for defensive lapses. That should tell you what is more important to him on the court.

wadegarrett said:
and what did you see from Kaleb on offense that was irreplaceable? He's going to a great PG, but he's not ready. Every time a defender comes within 5 feet of him, he picks up his dribble. He's not creating ball movement and he's not getting the ball inside. While Patterson only had 3 assists, he had some great entry passes (some of which weren't converted) and he moved the ball well. Also, he's a much better defender. JB doesn't pull a player when he jacks a ill-advised three. He pulls players for defensive lapses. That should tell you what is more important to him on the court.

I didn't mention Kaleb, I mentioned McCullough with G playing the 1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom