Holy Cross Game Preview (2/12/22, 12:30pm) | Syracusefan.com

Holy Cross Game Preview (2/12/22, 12:30pm)

Powellfan

Renowned lacrosse analyst
After a long and eventful offseason, the Syracuse Orange plays its first game of the 2022 season against the Holy Cross Crusaders. A lot has changed for the Orange since last they played, including a new head coach and defensive coordinator. This is the first time for most of us to see the new team in action as most scrimmages have been closed to the public and details have been hard to come by. The expectations for this years team are lower than they have been, but there is still a lot of talent and a lot of experience on this year's team. If reports from the scrimmages are true, it sounds like this will be another up and down year. Let's tackle SU's first opponent, which should be the easiest of the year in Holy Cross.

Holy Cross only played 6 games last year, one against the Orange, which wasn't much of a game. They return their top six scorers form a year ago, but their top scorers only averaged a little over two points a game. The Crusaders come into the game already having a loss on their records as they lost last weekend to Providence 16-9. The Crusaders dominated face-offs 20-28, but they had 20 turnovers and only had one more groundball than the Friars. That's not a winning formula. Their main FOGO had a sub 50% winning percentage last year but fared better in his first game of 2022. AJ Fox is their starting goaltender and he had a 54% save percentage last year but it looks like he only made two saves last weekend and didn't play the whole game. He did have 18 saves against the Orange last year, giving up 14, which is pretty impressive. He has to feel somewhat comfortable playing in the Dome. It also looks like he has his three close defenders with him back from last year. Chris Conlin had 19 caused turnovers and 20 groundballs in just 6 games, that is eye opening.

This should be an easy victory for the Orange, so I'll have my eyes focused more on the following storylines for the Orange, more than their opponent. First, injuries. Obviously we know Owen Hiltz is out for an extended period of time, but there are other players coming back from significant injuries. Key contributors like Nick DiPeitro, Landon Clary and Jacob Buttermore had season ending injuries last year and Nick Caccomo was out for a period of time in Fall Ball. How healthy are these players? As much as I think the Orange can get past this week without them, it's a lot to ask them to come back against a team like Maryland, Virginia or Army. Hopefully the players mentioned can use this week to get their feet wet before a big stretch of games. Second, who is going to emerge from the second unit? Syracuse needs someone to step up on the second line midfield - who will it be? We haven't heard many "so and so has broken out" stories this offseason, which is worrisome. This team has pretty well established starters, but the team needs more than six scorers on offense. If these secondary players cant contribute against a team like Holy Cross, that does not portend well for the rest of the season. Third, the goalie battle. It sounds like things are pretty even between Gavin and Thomson, will the coaches play both against Holy Cross or will they give the starter a lot of rope?

What are other people looking for?

Easy victory?

*cough*Colgate*cough*

Hmm, excuse me. What were we talking about?

After a long and eventful offseason, the Syracuse Orange plays its first game of the 2022 season against the Holy Cross Crusaders. A lot has changed for the Orange since last they played, including a new head coach and defensive coordinator. This is the first time for most of us to see the new team in action as most scrimmages have been closed to the public and details have been hard to come by. The expectations for this years team are lower than they have been, but there is still a lot of talent and a lot of experience on this year's team. If reports from the scrimmages are true, it sounds like this will be another up and down year. Let's tackle SU's first opponent, which should be the easiest of the year in Holy Cross.

Holy Cross only played 6 games last year, one against the Orange, which wasn't much of a game. They return their top six scorers form a year ago, but their top scorers only averaged a little over two points a game. The Crusaders come into the game already having a loss on their records as they lost last weekend to Providence 16-9. The Crusaders dominated face-offs 20-28, but they had 20 turnovers and only had one more groundball than the Friars. That's not a winning formula. Their main FOGO had a sub 50% winning percentage last year but fared better in his first game of 2022. AJ Fox is their starting goaltender and he had a 54% save percentage last year but it looks like he only made two saves last weekend and didn't play the whole game. He did have 18 saves against the Orange last year, giving up 14, which is pretty impressive. He has to feel somewhat comfortable playing in the Dome. It also looks like he has his three close defenders with him back from last year. Chris Conlin had 19 caused turnovers and 20 groundballs in just 6 games, that is eye opening.

This should be an easy victory for the Orange, so I'll have my eyes focused more on the following storylines for the Orange, more than their opponent. First, injuries. Obviously we know Owen Hiltz is out for an extended period of time, but there are other players coming back from significant injuries. Key contributors like Nick DiPeitro, Landon Clary and Jacob Buttermore had season ending injuries last year and Nick Caccomo was out for a period of time in Fall Ball. How healthy are these players? As much as I think the Orange can get past this week without them, it's a lot to ask them to come back against a team like Maryland, Virginia or Army. Hopefully the players mentioned can use this week to get their feet wet before a big stretch of games. Second, who is going to emerge from the second unit? Syracuse needs someone to step up on the second line midfield - who will it be? We haven't heard many "so and so has broken out" stories this offseason, which is worrisome. This team has pretty well established starters, but the team needs more than six scorers on offense. If these secondary players cant contribute against a team like Holy Cross, that does not portend well for the rest of the season. Third, the goalie battle. It sounds like things are pretty even between Gavin and Thomson, will the coaches play both against Holy Cross or will they give the starter a lot of rope?

Good preview, not much to add here to be honest. Will be interesting to see if the SU team that played well this past week shows up or the team that was annihilated by Michigan, hoping for the former.

Not a fan of the overall schedule as I have noted but at least we put the most winnable game (on paper) to start off as this team definitely needs some time to gel together especially after Hiltz's injury.

Will be interested in watching a few things:

1. Who starts at goalie? Gavin seems to have a slight edge but seems both will play
2. What's the injury status of multiple players beyond Hiltz. Without mentioning any names multiple potential starters or guys expected to play a large role have been banged up. Do they make it back for Holy Cross and if not who takes their place.
3. What does the depth chart at LSM look like? Is Clary healthy? What about the Lemoyne transfer
4. Who rounds out the close defense beyond Kennedy? Is Cacammo healthy, if not is Murphy and Dipetro the answer or is Dipetro not 100% either.
5. Any young offensive players stand out or make an impact on the 2nd mid line? Is the 1st line Quinn, Curry and Buttermore? Are Birtwistle and Tenaglia healthy and if so do they see any time? Does Corsi or any other Frosh see time?
6. Can the starting attack of Dordevic, Seebold and Cook carry the Offense?
7. Phaup appears to be back to his 2020 form, how does Savage look and does Fine see any time if the games a blowout? Little depth at FOGO, Phaup's draws will have to be monitored.

Lots of questions that probably wont be answered in 1 game.

I want this year's edition to be wildly successful. To answer Powellfan's question: I'll be paying attention to the
1.Tempo, to what degree are we creating fast breaks, allowing the middies to play both ways, spending less time carrying the ball and more time moving the ball. We used to call it "keep the rock hot."
2. Off ball movement, what are the players doing without the ball. Are we generating quality cutters? Defense disrupting passing lanes
3. Quality passing, are we getting passes up by the ear.
Lastly, turnovers, caused by our defense and uncaused by the offense.

SU gave up in some games last year. All the vets felt it, knew it and remember it. For me, that was a stain on the team resistant to any remover, unless they collectively demand from themselves and each other that no matter how dire the adversity this season, they, to a man, fight ferociously every moment to win the next second of play. No matter what the score or circumstance. I think there will be plenty of adversity. Healing and scarring over last season demand exceptional coaching. They provide foundational challenges for Gait and Petro. Let's wish them well.

Good preview, not much to add here to be honest. Will be interesting to see if the SU team that played well this past week shows up or the team that was annihilated by Michigan, hoping for the former.

Not a fan of the overall schedule as I have noted but at least we put the most winnable game (on paper) to start off as this team definitely needs some time to gel together especially after Hiltz's injury.

Will be interested in watching a few things:

1. Who starts at goalie? Gavin seems to have a slight edge but seems both will play
2. What's the injury status of multiple players beyond Hiltz. Without mentioning any names multiple potential starters or guys expected to play a large role have been banged up. Do they make it back for Holy Cross and if not who takes their place.
3. What does the depth chart at LSM look like? Is Clary healthy? What about the Lemoyne transfer
4. Who rounds out the close defense beyond Kennedy? Is Cacammo healthy, if not is Murphy and Dipetro the answer or is Dipetro not 100% either.
5. Any young offensive players stand out or make an impact on the 2nd mid line? Is the 1st line Quinn, Curry and Buttermore? Are Birtwistle and Tenaglia healthy and if so do they see any time? Does Corsi or any other Frosh see time?
6. Can the starting attack of Dordevic, Seebold and Cook carry the Offense?
7. Phaup appears to be back to his 2020 form, how does Savage look and does Fine see any time if the games a blowout? Little depth at FOGO, Phaup's draws will have to be monitored.

Lots of questions that probably wont be answered in 1 game.

Good call on the faceoffs, Jeremy. I think Phaup will be better than he was last year and I think Ierlan will be a difference maker there. But I’m curious to see how much they use Savage this year. With not a lot of easy games I don’t think Phaup will get much rest. And with such a short bench they really can’t afford for him to get injured. Hoping Savage is capable of taking a few each game.

Also curious about pace of play. Coaches talk a lot about playing fast but not a lot of them do it. Will they implement a 10 man ride like they apparently did in the Loyola scrimmage? What will look different from last years offense to this?

heard caccomo was out longer? could be wrong.
never heard of this guy conlin before. 6' 2", 205. looks like he pops up to grab some wings but is a close d. each of the last 2 years has led the nc$$ in cto per game. 41 in last 14 games. if petro likes what he sees, might want to give him an extra hurrah in the handshake. if he can move and jumps to the portal after this year, he will go top 10 somewhere for a 1 year rental.

heard caccomo was out longer? could be wrong.
never heard of this guy conlin before. 6' 2", 205. looks like he pops up to grab some wings but is a close d. each of the last 2 years has led the nc$$ in cto per game. 41 in last 14 games. if petro likes what he sees, might want to give him an extra hurrah in the handshake. if he can move and jumps to the portal after this year, he will go top 10 somewhere for a 1 year rental.

According to FanLax he is already in the portal. Syracuse could certainly use help on the defensive end for next year.

Saw plenty of Conklin in h.s. Was very good player , team will be awash with more returning and incoming d talent next year but he'd still be a very good pickup.

Good call on the faceoffs, Jeremy. I think Phaup will be better than he was last year and I think Ierlan will be a difference maker there. But I’m curious to see how much they use Savage this year. With not a lot of easy games I don’t think Phaup will get much rest. And with such a short bench they really can’t afford for him to get injured. Hoping Savage is capable of taking a few each game.

Also curious about pace of play. Coaches talk a lot about playing fast but not a lot of them do it. Will they implement a 10 man ride like they apparently did in the Loyola scrimmage? What will look different from last years offense to this?
It sucks, but I think Ierlan will have far less of an impact coaching these new face off rules instead of the old ones. It goes back to what he said at the beginning of all this, that under the new rules there are less ways to counter a hot fogo on the other team. You just have to hope you can keep up with the other guys clamp speed.

I hope I’m wrong and new methods are discovered as time goes on, but I am still royally ticked off at what a negative impact these new rules have had on our team. It took us from well above average to painfully average and getting blown out of the water by those thriving under the new rules.

Brecht is going to do absolutely everything in his power to bring Conlin to Rutgers seeing as the kid is an NJ native. My money would be on UNC or Duke though.

Orange should not have any issues with Holy Cross even with their inconsistent preseason and some injury issues. HC is a few years away from being a few years away. Might finish last in the PL this year behind Lafayette.

It sucks, but I think Ierlan will have far less of an impact coaching these new face off rules instead of the old ones. It goes back to what he said at the beginning of all this, that under the new rules there are less ways to counter a hot fogo on the other team. You just have to hope you can keep up with the other guys clamp speed.

I hope I’m wrong and new methods are discovered as time goes on, but I am still royally ticked off at what a negative impact these new rules have had on our team. It took us from well above average to painfully average and getting blown out of the water by those thriving under the new rules.
Should see a difference, matter of how much. Trusting the process. Phaup has had a full offseason to adapt and is a tireless worker who strives to get better . Ierlan still excelling under new rules and is a excellent instructor. Wish exits were better so he didnt get beat up but believe Jacob is going to have a good year.

Did note that 13 of our 15 goals vs HC last year were scored by players who wont be here Saturday.

Brecht is going to do absolutely everything in his power to bring Conlin to Rutgers seeing as the kid is an NJ native. My money would be on UNC or Duke though.

Orange should not have any issues with Holy Cross even with their inconsistent preseason and some injury issues. HC is a few years away from being a few years away. Might finish last in the PL this year behind Lafayette.

It's a fools errand trying to predict next year's lineup, but Syracuse will probably return just one starter (Caccomo) on the close defense. If Dwan lives up to his five star billing then I imagine he will be a starter as well. That leaves one spot open and I don't think a player currently on the roster will be taking it. They bring Riley Figueiras in who is a four star recruit who could challenge for a spot as well. Starting two freshmen would make me a little nervous but I think UNC is doing it this year, and I think one year UVA started three at close defense.

Certainly wouldn't be a bad thing to try and get a transfer but I'm sure Conlin will be highly sought after. Notre Dame also really likes to go after Patriot League transfers. I would probably rank FOGO and offensive midfield as more of a need for SU next year in the transfer portal.

Phaup's the guy, but we have guys ready to give him a break.

Cook is playing with a lot of confidence. Hoping he can step up.

Corsi and Cordes will get run on 2nd line.

Will name a starter in net on Friday.

Guys will get opportunities.

Last edited:
Phaup's the guy, but we have guys ready to give him a break.

Cook is playing with a lot of confidence. Hoping he can step up.

Corsi and Cordes will get run on 2nd line.

Interesting on Corsi and Cordes, figured at least one would be on the 2nd line. Midfield play this year is going to be interesting to say the least.

Cook is not playing midfield, he's been playing attack almost exclusively.
That's what I thought.

Shhhhhhhhhhh.

Holy Cross doesn't know that. ;)

Someone should tell cuse.com's roster person.

1644452246801.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom