Holy Cross Gameday... | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Holy Cross Gameday...

Wait--- is that the famous Syracuse fan gif kid?? Hmmm..

syracuse-orange.gif

Holy Cross is bad but we haven’t done this to any team in recent memory ever. it’s a good way to open the season. Regardless of opponent the best thing that I saw in the game, with the starters, were the stick skills, the passing and catching was sharp and crisp, there wasn’t much sloppy play or bad turnovers which has defined us lately.

Other things I noted that is independent of opponent, less iso offense, lots and lots of ball movement, extra passes, and the shooting was on point, many more bounce shots and changing the plane.

Just a bunch of fundamental type things I noticed today that were vastly different imo.

Remains to be seen if we get big boy-d by the good teams but if we’re tight fundamentally, value the ball and make good decisions, we can compete.

*observations above are based on first and second quarter action. I didn’t watch 2nd half

Last edited:
I know in years past full games made it on YouTube can we expect this cause I want to watch this asap.

Really nice win, and quite a way to kick off the Gait era. Will probably echo a lot of what’s already been said but the offense looked great. Wonderful ball movement and shooting, the “knowns” looked on a different level in this game. Curry, Dordevic, Seebold all looked bigger and faster than last year. Was really surprised to see Berkman starting but he had a really good game, put up some goals and let the game come to him. A very smart game on his part. Nice to see some of the younger players put up points as well. Cordes with a nice goal and assist and of course Corsi had a nice goal. Beautiful feed from Fiorini, his game is something this offense could really use. Nice to see a veteran perform like that after not seeing a lot of time. The third line looked very dangerous, Cohen was another nice surprise. And to think the team was down Buttermore and Quinn.

Defense looked good but obviously not a lot to go on. The one head scratching thing was seeing Jerry Staats on man down with a short stick. I did not like him in that spot last year and to see him with a shortie was confusing. DiPietro did not look very limber out there. Was impressed by Fraterreglo, he has good size and moves well. Murphy looked bigger to me.

Phaup looked great, hope he can play this well all season. He takes such a beating out there I am worried he won’t last though. Nice to see Savage come in and do well and score a goal! Hopefully Ierlan will be at most of the games going forward, his absence for games is not a great development.

Like Jeremy alluded to, lots of surprises for the lineup. Was expecting Cook at attack and didn’t think Cordes would start at midfield. Curious to see how this lineup changes as guys get back from injury.

Obviously a dramatic step up in competition next week but this was really great to see, especially after all the panic from the Michigan scrimmage. Gotta move on from this quickly but hats off to the team and coaches for a great opening win.
Fraterregio looked like the best d on the field to me. Quicker and more agile than all but Kennedy. Maintained excellent position. Next weekend should test him a magnitude above HC. Carter Rice also impressed me. Quick, fast and aggressive, he was ferocious on the ground. Most impressive though was the open field pace of defense to offense. Looked almost Galloway era-like. I hope SU comes out on fire against Maryland like they did today. Maintaining that against the good teams will be required. Let's hold judgements until next month anyway.

It felt good to be back in the dome for the first game. I like to get there early to watch the team warm up. I got to watch Coach Petro work with the defense. He had the D moving non-stop, which was nice the see. I didn't realize that was a preview of what was to come. Some game observations:

1.The up tempo play was what I was hoping for, but would have liked to see more two-way the middie play. There was a great deal more ball movement than last year which was good to see, more cutters, fewer ISOs ... good signs.
2. Considerably more off ball movement, and the Defense disrupted the passing lanes a number of times. Both defense and offense never stopped moving ... all good
3. Passing wasn't sloppy but many of the passes were either too low or too high. The turnovers were very low until the fourth quarter. Much of which can be explained to first game rust and the ample substitutions ...

Overall we looked much sharper and more agressive than I've seen in quite some time. It was great to see so many players get playing time. That will pay dividends later on this season.

Maybe this has already been asked and answered, but has Syracuse ever fielded a starting attack without a single player from New York? I can’t imagine there’s ever been a game when the teams top five point scorers weren’t from New York (Dordevic, Curry, Seebold, Berkman, Cohen). Not sure what it “means” in the grand scheme of things but it’s pretty incredible.

Maybe this has already been asked and answered, but has Syracuse ever fielded a starting attack without a single player from New York? I can’t imagine there’s ever been a game when the teams top five point scorers weren’t from New York (Dordevic, Curry, Seebold, Berkman, Cohen). Not sure what it “means” in the grand scheme of things but it’s pretty incredible.
Carc actually mentioned it during the broadcast.

There’s a few videos on YouTube of like 15 minute highlights. Gooood stuff.

The lid got blown off of expectations yesterday. I know, I know, slow your roll, this is just 1 game against a weak opponent. But in 1 game Gary Gait has managed to knock the rust off and transport the team back to the 1990's free and flowing Orange style of Lax. It's very rejuvenating.

Fuller analysis and understanding can be gained at game watching and listening to Petro heated reactions and instruction.. A slide is as timely and direct as positioning allows, basic fundamental of off ball d is to be inside your cover on ball side not behind. On man down crease, defender cant vacate if top doesn't drop. Agaisnt UM, important to get Aviles or Rice on field and mids off quickly to matchup with speed of Long .One hc g not covered is a cut from up top with a few ball watching. Better fix that or Maryland will slice and dice.

Goalies will face alot more difficult shots this week but both impressed. Gavin follows ball well , Thompson quick outlet beyond midfield off save hadn't been seen since Madonna.

On offense, do hope that Cuse continues to play free and loose with passes but expect more turnovers against a vastly better defense . Be kind next Monday, all part of the process, UVA went though it years ago when Tiffany arrived.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom