Holy Cross Gameday... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Holy Cross Gameday...

Wonderful to see the offense look so strong - best ball movement in years and great to see so many younger players and backups get serious playing time. And yes...Holy Cross is extremely weak but our offense never looked this good last year - they didn't even score in the 1st qtr last year against HC!

Can't really say much about Cuse defense or goaltending in today's game - nothing more than a practice really, given how bad HC was.

Definitely nice to enjoy the big win but ... the Terps destroyed Loyola today which was an eye-opener given Toomey's track record. Next week will be a HUGE test for Cuse in all facets of the game.

Wonder what to make of Caccamo coming into the game in the second. Just giving him limited time due to the recent injury or does the lemoyne guy really have the starting spot? Carc and Anish are hyping him up like crazy

Working back from injury, several guys are close

Don't want to spoil a great opening game but I'd pump the brakes a bit. Holy Cross is a really bad team especially defensively. SU is still working about a half-dozen starters and major contributors back from injury who will be needed. Next two weeks likely to be a bit of a wake up call as Maryland and UVA will be tough to slow down and offensively were likely to struggle.. Good first impression though and this team will get better throughout the year.

Working back from injury, several guys are close
He has some nice plays in 1v1 situations today. Looks like he can move really well for a guy this size. You think he starts over the lemoyne guy next week?

He has some nice plays in 1v1 situations today. Looks like he can move really well for a guy this size. You think he starts over the lemoyne guy next week?

I believe so, though Frattergio looked good himself today but he can play lsm to

Don't want to spoil a great opening game but I'd pump the brakes a bit. Holy Cross is a really bad team especially defensively. SU is still working about a half-dozen starters and major contributors back from injury who will be needed. Next two weeks likely to be a bit of a wake up call as Maryland and UVA will be tough to slow down and offensively were likely to struggle.. Good first impression though and this team will get better throughout the year.
Don’t be a buzz kill man. Football was a disappointment. And hoops has been a disaster. Let a man dream.

Gary Gait was a great lacrosse player and now he will be an even greater coach. We defeated Holy Cross today in the Dome 28-5. I know there are injuries to key players and Holy Cross is a cup cake but 28 - 5, best score against an SU opponent since 1994.
Congrats to Gary on his debut win, all the players on the team and Syracuse University Lacrosse the winningest D1 team ever with 11 National Championships.

Last edited:
Don’t be a buzz kill man. Football was a disappointment. And hoops has been a disaster. Let a man dream.

The good news is this performance is no fluke looking forward. This team late next year and in 2 years will be Powell era scary, the offensive talent on the way is just absurd. This year's team is going to be up and down, to difficult a schedule and the ACC is loaded. If Maryland was off the schedule and we played the regular 4 team acc schedule I'd feel more confident about this year. Still impressive performance when you consider no Quinn, Buttermore, Hiltz, Clary and only a spot appearance for Caccamo.

Agreed. Really, the only chance to win will be due to the creativity of the offensive players. While our guys will get looks, they will be playing legit top teams and elite level talent overall. Today was good because younger guys got game time. One thing Gait may do is to try to run UM and UVA into the ground by keeping fresh legs on the field constantly, forcing UM and UVA to run with the ones most of the game. The problem is that the team must still score against better players. That issue cannot be resolved until we play.

I do like Petro's attacking, fast break defense mixed with Gaits fast break offense and green light for shooters to let loose and make things happen. I like it when middies can play both ways, the fast break is always in play and forces one-way players to wear down and make mistakes. I think we will see the D improve quickly, especially because they will face elite offenses early. Lessons learned plus experience make for great trainers. By the end of the season, we may be

It will be a rough ride when the conference outlier is ranked #12 and the other four are in the top 6. A win or two will be great over the next two weeks would be great. I will be happy if they keep it competitive and respectable. If so, I think we have a good season.

Did we cover the spread?

Really nice win, and quite a way to kick off the Gait era. Will probably echo a lot of what’s already been said but the offense looked great. Wonderful ball movement and shooting, the “knowns” looked on a different level in this game. Curry, Dordevic, Seebold all looked bigger and faster than last year. Was really surprised to see Berkman starting but he had a really good game, put up some goals and let the game come to him. A very smart game on his part. Nice to see some of the younger players put up points as well. Cordes with a nice goal and assist and of course Corsi had a nice goal. Beautiful feed from Fiorini, his game is something this offense could really use. Nice to see a veteran perform like that after not seeing a lot of time. The third line looked very dangerous, Cohen was another nice surprise. And to think the team was down Buttermore and Quinn.

Defense looked good but obviously not a lot to go on. The one head scratching thing was seeing Jerry Staats on man down with a short stick. I did not like him in that spot last year and to see him with a shortie was confusing. DiPietro did not look very limber out there. Was impressed by Fraterreglo, he has good size and moves well. Murphy looked bigger to me.

Phaup looked great, hope he can play this well all season. He takes such a beating out there I am worried he won’t last though. Nice to see Savage come in and do well and score a goal! Hopefully Ierlan will be at most of the games going forward, his absence for games is not a great development.

Like Jeremy alluded to, lots of surprises for the lineup. Was expecting Cook at attack and didn’t think Cordes would start at midfield. Curious to see how this lineup changes as guys get back from injury.

Obviously a dramatic step up in competition next week but this was really great to see, especially after all the panic from the Michigan scrimmage. Gotta move on from this quickly but hats off to the team and coaches for a great opening win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom