Marrone vs Buffalo front office
Marrone vs Buffalo media
Marrone vs Buffalo web site
Marrone vs out of town media
Marrone vs Syracuse media
Marrone vs some SU donors
Marrone vs some HS coaches
Marrone vs some SU AD

What's the common denominator? It can't be everyone else.

It's this odd character, "Vs". Not sure where he/she comes from, but Doug shouldn't have to deal with him /her. Just give Doug what he wants, no problems will arise

It is odd that a coach would publicly rip another, but the impression I get of Casullo is that he's that mouthy relative that really doesn't know when to shut up and will tell you 100 reasons why he was fired, and none are his fault.

Does that make what he said untrue? No.

But it carries a lot less weight coming from him. But as was posted above, if a lot of people are calling someone a dick, it's probably got some truth to it.

tboxCUSE92 said:
I took our 9year old to Manley/Melo Center this summer (drove up from Keuka) to show him the Mecca. I should have written about the trip/experience at the time, but got distracted. We walked into the football wing without any expectations and connected with one of the most knowledgable and tenured SU personel. He took us through the facility for over an hour including all the locker rooms. We asked 100 questions and got 100 answers. My one Marrone question: "What was Marrone like?" Response: "one of the most paranoid and egotistical guys I have ever met". He also said he would deny that if asked. The contrarian question about Shafer "not a better guy out there.." Coaching aside, there is no doubt Coach Marrone has legit reputation issues.
Honestly I could care less if you are a great guy, or a complete A-hole, just win me some damn football games!

It is odd that a coach would publicly rip another, but the impression I get of Casullo is that he's that mouthy relative that really doesn't know when to shut up and will tell you 100 reasons why he was fired, and none are his fault.

Does that make what he said untrue? No.

But it carries a lot less weight coming from him. But as was posted above, if a lot of people are calling someone a dick, it's probably got some truth to it.

Yeah, I pretty much feel the same way.

But one thing I was thinking about, is this the only time you'll get the true perspective of a former assistant, because this is one who isn't looking for his next job?

I mean, guys like Nate Hackett, Rob Moore, etc would never say anything negative. Not only does it obviously alienate them from the coach who has been taking them along on this ride, but then who would hire them after bashing their previous boss?

Marrone vs Casullo
Marrone vs Buffalo media
Marrone vs some SU AD

As a lifelong Buffalo resident/Bills fan & SU grad, it's been very entertaining reading the articles coming out about Doug Marrone & his character (or lack of it) this past week - and I must say Bees, this post manages to summarize it all quite perfectly, IMO. Well done.

I understand why as a fan you may not care about anything but wins. In a college setting, however, in which a team belongs in some sense to the University community and the community at large as well as to the community of alumni scattered across the country, the character of a D1 football coach can actually matters on a number of levels.

Honestly I could care less if you are a great guy, or a complete A-hole, just win me some damn football games!

RoofBeam said:
I understand why as a fan you may not care about anything but wins. In a college setting, however, in which a team belongs in some sense to the University community and the community at large as well as to the community of alumni scattered across the country, the character of a D1 football coach can actually matters on a number of levels.
Ya but you make it sound like Marrone is pure evil. Was he not making sure kids graduated? Was he not disciplining them? Sometimes too much so? It's not like he had a total lack of regard for standards and was all about getting wins on the field. As long as he was cheating, covering up crimes, or using the kids only as a stepping stone, then I am totally fine if some people see him as a big ole meanie. Some of the stuff he was upset about while he was here had to do with not having enough resources to win football games. Personally I'm happy he rubbed people the wrong way when it came to thst stuff. None of us have to live with him, so unless he has some Petrino, Paterno, or Pitino stuff going on then all I care about is winning some football games

From an article by Nate Mink:

"Self-centered, selfish, and greedy," Casullo said

"It's coming out now, and I don't want to say I told you so. I just sit here and mind my own business and move on."

When he takes a job, he already has his plan in place for his next job," Casullo said.

"He'll get a job because there are not enough qualified people with head coaching experience to get these jobs," Casullo said. "There are about nine or 10 guys out there that should be getting these jobs, and you're reshuffling an egomaniac, less-than-.500 coach."

I think he was a competent coach, certainly not without any redeeming features, and I don't equate ambition and self-absorption with evil. My only point is that I think SU could have done better with the hire...actually, much better. And while I understand that some people bristle at this suggestion, I think that is because they lack the imagination required to see how a transformative personality might have galvanized the University (which is what Marrone started out to want to do but which required a very different set of interpersonal abilities than Marrone possesses).

Ya but you make it sound like Marrone is pure evil. Was he not making sure kids graduated? Was he not disciplining them? Sometimes too much so? It's not like he had a total lack of regard for standards and was all about getting wins on the field. As long as he was cheating, covering up crimes, or using the kids only as a stepping stone, then I am totally fine if some people see him as a big ole meanie. Some of the stuff he was upset about while he was here had to do with not having enough resources to win football games. Personally I'm happy he rubbed people the wrong way when it came to thst stuff. None of us have to live with him, so unless he has some Petrino, Paterno, or Pitino stuff going on then all I care about is winning some football games

Yeah, I pretty much feel the same way.

But one thing I was thinking about, is this the only time you'll get the true perspective of a former assistant, because this is one who isn't looking for his next job?

I mean, guys like Nate Hackett, Rob Moore, etc would never say anything negative. Not only does it obviously alienate them from the coach who has been taking them along on this ride, but then who would hire them after bashing their previous boss?

I don't doubt that it's true. I think the funny part of it is that Casullo says it without seeming to note that he himself is a complete lunatic, likely a total ego-maniac and a guy that probably rubs a bunch of people the wrong way. I mean, afterall, those seem to be requisite qualities for football coaches most of the time anyway. I wouldn't defend DM in this instance but I do think it's funny that ambition and thirst for power and control seem to be the things irking people about the situation.

I certainly can't refute any of the negatives written here nor do I have any reason to but it certainly is a unique dichotomy in that this was also "the nicest coach in America" who was also recently seen pushing another motorists car from a snow bank. As with most things, the truth is likely somehwere in the middle. I'd venture to guess he's a nice guy until you get on his sh * t list from which one can never return.

"When he takes a job, he already has his plan in place for his next job," Casullo said."

:bat:

Any ambitious person building a career does the same damn thing.

I would consider myself a relatively ambitious person building a career. I'm a 43 year old partner in a law firm who put myself through college and law school. Each job I've had, I've looked to do the best job I could. Only when I mastered the tasks and goals of that job did I start looking for a new challenge. I did not already have a plan in place for my next job when I took a job. That sounds like Hollywood bullspit to me for larger than life characters.

I would consider myself a relatively ambitious person building a career. I'm a 43 year old partner in a law firm who put myself through college and law school. Each job I've had, I've looked to do the best job I could. Only when I mastered the tasks and goals of that job did I start looking for a new challenge. I did not already have a plan in place for my next job when I took a job. That sounds like Hollywood bullspit to me for larger than life characters.
You have career goals, and have a long term plan. That's how I look at it

Marrone vs Casullo
Marrone vs Buffalo media
Marrone vs some SU AD

You mean the guy who took us back to bowls, rebuilt the foundation of the program and actually had Buffalo playing meaningful football in December?

Thin skinned, but Doug has more character in his pinky than Gross, the Bills FO (who are desperately trying to save their jobs), the hacks at the Buffalo News like Jerry Sullivan and Bucky and the other sources who are lurking in the dark under "anonymous sources." Not going to touch our own village idiot, Bob Casullo.

Forgot to include Marrone vs. former players

didn't we all get a kick out of making fun of Tom O'Brien back in the day for the same behavior that Marrone is showing now? Wasn't that cute back then when it wasn't one of our guys.

Marrone will turn out like Jags from BC. Sunlight is the greatest form of disinfectant for a guy who hasn't sustained any consistent winning.

cuseguy said:
Forgot to include Marrone vs. former players

Ah yes, I did.

It's heard around more than just Syracuse. Was on NBC Sports website, Newsday. Sporting News, Newsday etc

didn't we all get a kick out of making fun of Tom O'Brien back in the day for the same behavior that Marrone is showing now? Wasn't that cute back then when it wasn't one of our guys.

Marrone will turn out like Jags from BC. Sunlight is the greatest form of disinfectant for a guy who hasn't sustained any consistent winning.

What's wrong with Jagz? Not his fault that DeFilippo is a lot like Gross in that they think people care more about the AD than a HC. I'm sure BC fans would have been fine with his annual NFL flirtations instead of the Spaz era.

Saint Doug wants the big time...you got it. Wait till the NY Post starts ripping you.

marrone made fallon last night. some joke about doug marrone being the top candidate, fallon said people are upset about that, especially doug marrone

To be fair to BC...he had ABSOLUTELY no idea (like the rest of us) that Rob had a brain tumor at the time.

This is true, but if we are talking about how they treat people they work with, Bobby should be careful about throwing stones.