Holy ship, anyone see that hit in the Nebr/Wiscy game? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Holy ship, anyone see that hit in the Nebr/Wiscy game?

How do you know he didn't yell?

you guys are nuts. You're not looking to mame or kill a guy. What is wrong with you guys. Look at the guys spine as he hits the ground. I work in spine care now a very long time. That type of hyperflexion could've cause permanent injury. And I can guarantee you that he will be injured tommorow and will have back problems going forward at some point. The bodies anatomy cannot handle that type of force.

You want to win the game, not permanently mame somebody for Gods sake.

I know lets make it two hand touch and take force completely out of the game.
Maybe this is more your speed.

ITS football! They put on pads and a helmet to protect themselves before they play. It has an element of danger to it so they PROTECT themselves before going on the field. They aren't being forced to play.

you guys are nuts. You're not looking to mame or kill a guy. What is wrong with you guys. Look at the guys spine as he hits the ground. I work in spine care now a very long time. That type of hyperflexion could've cause permanent injury. And I can guarantee you that he will be injured tommorow and will have back problems going forward at some point. The bodies anatomy cannot handle that type of force.

You want to win the game, not permanently mame somebody for Gods sake.
the dude put a football hit on a football player

nothing dirty about it

Yep I know he can calculate wind speed and all sorts of things with the amount of time he has to react on a play... I get what you are getting at but these things are reactionary, and that player was definitely capable of stopping that player from scoring a td it wasn't like the guy was completely out of the play.

You don't need to calculate wind speed to go lower when you hit a guy. That's all he needed to do.

It would not have been a penalty when I played. It is now. I also sat in the back of my Dad's pick-up truck driving around town, didn't wear a helmet when skiing or biking, often didn't wear a seat belt in a car, etc - all of which my nieces and nephews can't comprehend since all of the above are considered unsafe (and in most cases illegal) now. We know more about head injuries and the penalties in football have evolved to reflect that. Frankly considering the liability issues the only other realistic option is to simply outlaw the game (which nearly happened 100 years ago so it isn't totally out of the question).

dude you got no Fing clue. I'm gonna post a bunch of stuff that I've never posted on these boards in the 15 or so year of posting on here. And then I'm going to delete it. You're arrogance leaves me no other choice.

I'm older now but played some back in the day. At a personal high level at 6' 2" 235 lbs. In fact just in the last year threw out the recruiting letter from Paterno amongst a bunch of other div. 1 letters. Played all 4 years. Was all state, etc. Got the better of Tim Green head to head. In college also played all 4 years starting. Was All conference, All-east and AA, pro tryout, conference player of the year, still hold all my colleges records on D 30 years later, etc, etc.

Ok what's that mean besides an exercise in narcissism? It means it doesn't happen if you're a nice guy on the field of play. You have to be mean, mean within the confines of the game. Put many a guy out of the game over the years with legit clean hits. Not meaning to. Just happened and was never happy about it. But you play to the whistle, and play hard as you can hitting as hard as you can. Period.

But when that type hit came up I always pulled back a bit knowing what it can do. PERMANENT INJURY. That's something I never ever wanted to do in this game. WHY? Because it's a in game. Every player whose played that game knows what can happen with that kind of hit. No place for it among decent competitors and decent human being. I wanted to win. And win bad which lead to the way I played. And that happened.

But I never wanted to permanently hurt someone on the way to winning. Simple as that.

Never once did I say to ever try to permanently injure someone. If that is a penalty today then yeah I guess that's the way it is but I disagree and it's BS. When a RB or WR is running at you as a defensive player you better be running as fast and hard as you can because you are just as likely to get KO'd.

I thought that kid just played to the whistle himself. Good clean hit from what I saw.

Never once did I say to ever try to permanently injure someone. If that is a penalty today then yeah I guess that's the way it is but I disagree and it's BS. When a RB or WR is running at you as a defensive player you better be running as fast and hard as you can because you are just as likely to get KO'd.
doesnt matter what you or I say or said. What matters is reality.

The reality that these type blindside hits permanently end careers and alter lives. I get worked up so much about it probably because I had a friend/teammate injured forever from a similar blindside hit. And yes 30 years ago the other player got a penalty.

Fans want blood guts accidents and what not. Those who played this insane game get crazy intense about it, no doubt, Want to do what it takes to win for sure, but a sportsman knows when it's time to pull back in such scenarios. Error on the side of common sense is what we used to hear from our coach at least on occassion after the message of do ALL of what it takes to win on the field within the confines of the rules, from sideline to sideline, and until the end of the whistle.

Both back then and now its a cheap hit. Theres not enough sportsman around in the game, or in life for that matter, which is what the problem probably is. Err on the side of decency.

I don't know why but when it comes to this issue and doing the right thing I think of this:

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/11/3...cop-says-of-charity-act-gone-viral/?hpt=hp_c3

those are the kind of blind angles you live for playing snow football when the dude who that chick from the party said banged your girlfriend is on the other team not quite paying attention

those are the kind of blind angles you live for playing snow football when the dude who that chick from the party said banged your girlfriend is on the other team not quite paying attention
now those hits I'm all for. Screw THOSE dudes...LOL. DNABB, can always be counted on for a good one.

(If I read that one before the end of the season who knows you may have made a magical move from #13 into the top 5 of the prog contest :) )

Clean hit, he didn't launch.

I honestly think that the penalty had as much to do with how the blocked player landed than anything from the hit. Ref saw the guy crumple like that and instinctively threw the flag.

I think some people on this board are putting the blame on the wrong player here.
You can debate dirty vs clean but in this instance the problem is not with the blocker.
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP! The first thing you learn in contact sports. Dude will not make that mistake again.

Clean hit, he didn't launch.

I honestly think that the penalty had as much to do with how the blocked player landed than anything from the hit. Ref saw the guy crumple like that and instinctively threw the flag.
doesn't matter if it didn't look like a traditional easy to call launch, the refs saw the nature of the hit along with the resulting helmet to helmet contact and the after effects and made the right call. One thing I can tell here is those saying it's a legit hit haven't been on the receiving end of one that's for sure. No place for it and I'm glad the rules and refs agree. As I said elsewhere fans are all for it, players not so much.

doesn't matter if it didn't look like a traditional easy to call launch, the refs saw the nature of the hit along with the resulting helmet to helmet contact and the after effects and made the right call. One thing I can tell here is those saying it's a legit hit haven't been on the receiving end of one that's for sure. No place for it and I'm glad the rules and refs agree. As I said elsewhere fans are all for it, players not so much.

The refs made the incorrect call.

And your characterization is off-target. Doesn't look like helmet to helmet to me from the video [not just the clip making its rounds in this thread, but from different angles watching the game last night]--I saw a player who delivered a hit with his shoulder. Someone being unprepared for a clean hit doesn't make said hit dirty.

I think some people on this board are putting the blame on the wrong player here.
You can debate dirty vs clean but in this instance the problem is not with the blocker.
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP! The first thing you learn in contact sports. Dude will not make that mistake again.
we'll yeah, "keep your head on a swivel" is forever etched in the mind of anyone whose ever played.. That said when you're caught up in the game, the emotion, in the middle of a play in an important game you may have that slip your mind if you can make an important play. Just like you're also taught a million other things on technique, angles to take, break down positioning, tackle form, covering your zone and area, keep your responsibility on the qb, rb, pitch or whatever your position responsibility is, protect your knees, and on and on you're taught.

But guess what you can't be perfect 100% of the time no matter how well you're taught and how hard your try. There a necessary margin of error short of perfection where in the attempt at it are temporarily forgetten and not achieved and those who played know this usually understand it to not take advantage to kill a guy like that. Again it comes down to being on the receiving side of such things, you probably haven't. Thankfully the refs see it my way and some day I'll bet that type of hit will result in ejection, and I'll say bravo.

The refs made the incorrect call.

And your characterization is off-target. Doesn't look like helmet to helmet to me from the video [not just the clip making its rounds in this thread, but from different angles watching the game last night]--I saw a player who delivered a hit with his shoulder. Someone being unprepared for a clean hit doesn't make said hit dirty.
here you go.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=jKkvjSS1glg&desktop_uri=/watch?v=jKkvjSS1glg

Look at the side view and the helmet to helmet hit that results (if I had the technological ability I'd freeze frame the side angle shot of the moment he hits him helmet to helmet). Also note the way he launches into him. How in the step right before the hit he takes a leap off both feet and jumps into him, the sign of a classic launch. He could've have done what I said last night and just run into him backing off a bit and there's no penalty.

Not from the front face on off both feet but with him taking a side launch angle. And note that if the player he hit was a bit farther from him it would have been an obvious launch but he launched so close to him it obscured it. No brainer. Again the refs got it right.

here you go.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=jKkvjSS1glg&desktop_uri=/watch?v=jKkvjSS1glg

Look at the side view and the helmet to helmet hit that results. Also note the way he launches into him. Not from the front face on off both feet but with him taking a side launch angle. And note that if the player he hit was a bit farther from him it would have been an obvious launch but he launched so close to him it obscured it. Again the refs got it right.

You have an interesting definition of "launch," and it is highly doubtful that most reasonable definitions would reconcile with what you are saying. The guy braced himself before he hit the other guy--he didn't "launch" himself at all--he remained on his feet and clearly hit the guy with his shoulder / upper body, as evidenced by how he raised his arm after delivering the block.

That clip doesn't show any helmet-to-helmet, sorry. Repeating something false over and over doesn't make it true.

You have an interesting definition of "launch." I think most reasonable definitions would not reconcile with what you are saying. The guy braced himself before he hit the other guy--he didn't "launch" himself at all--he remained on his feet and clearly hit the guy with his shoulder / upper body, as evidenced by how he raised his arm after delivering the block.

That clip doesn't show any helmet-to-helmet, sorry. Repeating something false over and over doesn't make it true.
are you honestly saying on the side view his helmet isn't in contact with the other guys? If I had half a technical bone in my body I'd slow mo and freeze frame it so it could be seen. And yes he launched. Not in the easy to see traditional way but in the way I've already noted. Obviously the refs saw if the same way.

are you honestly saying on the side view his helmet isn't in contact with the other guys? If I had half a technical bone in my body I'd freeze frame it and it could be seen. And yes he launched. Not in the easy to see traditional way but in the way I've already noted. Obviously the refs saw if the same way.

Yes, I'm saying that you are wrong about the helmet to helmet, and that the refs ultimately got the call wrong because they reacted to how the kid landed instead of the hit itself.

I also think that you are using a strange definition of launch.

But ultimately, not worth arguing over a Wisc / Neb game that I couldn't care less about, so I'm cool agreeing to disagree on this one. Regardless, have a great Sunday!

Yes, I'm saying that you are wrong about the helmet to helmet, and that the refs ultimately got the call wrong because they reacted to how the kid landed instead of the hit itself.

I also think that you are using a strange definition of launch.

But ultimately, not worth arguing over a Wisc / Neb game that I couldn't care less about, so I'm cool agreeing to disagree on this one. Regardless, have a great Sunday!
LOL I hear ya, after hearing I'm gonna drag her to Birmingham al. (its looking like) and this here the wifes looking at me across the couch this morning like I'm nuts!

LOL I hear ya, after hearing I'm gonna drag her to Birmingham al. (its looking like) and this here the wifes looking at me across the couch this morning like I'm nuts!

Ha ha--same situation here when I mentioned the prospect of going to the bowl game to my wife!

Have a good one, CR!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom