Honest assessment | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Honest assessment

FSU hsd 21 turnovers. they were FAR from perfect. we were just BAAAAAD
Their turnovers must have come during that period where SU closed the score, because before that and after that, they were playing flawlessly.

you know, we complain about the lack of highly ranked recruits the last several years, but if we had another Lazarus Sims at PG and another Craig Forth at center (neither were exactly bigtime recruits), i would take that right now.

Honestly I'm fine with it at every position except at PG. PGs control college bball. 4 of the last 5 MOPs at the Final Four were PGs and the other was DiVincenzo last year who had the ball in his hands a lot. We've been a mess at the position since Ennis trying to convert combo guards into lead guards. Playing the point is the one position where it is more natural and a mindset then something that can be learned later on and we are worse off for it.

Who On this team would this PG be passing the ball to?

You have this model in mind of a PG standing at the top of the key looking in for a pass and an assist opportunity. Instead, we need a slasher, who can drive to the basket and score or dish or kick it back. Frank is actually a good fit, if he could do what he is supposed to do consistently.

We seem to approximate what you are looking for with Marek at the high post looking in.

Who On this team would this PG be passing the ball to?

You have this model in mind of a PG standing at the top of the key looking in for a pass and an assist opportunity. Instead, we need a slasher, who can drive to the basket and score or dish or kick it back. Frank is actually a good fit, if he could do what he is supposed to do consistently.

We seem to approximate what you are looking for with Marek at the high post looking in.

I want a high basketball IQ, floor general type that can create scoring opportunities for others. Someone that knows how to control the pace and flow of the game and always gets the team into their sets and isn't afraid to dribble the ball against pressure. Imagine having a guy that could get into the lane and deliver a pass for an easy bucket or complete a lob. Maybe that's just not possible because we have 4 perimeter oriented players and a guy with bricks for hands down low the majority of the time. We just don't get a whole lot of easy, assisted buckets. I have to imagine that the majority of our assists come on 3s which I guess is obvious considering how many we take per game.

You are right in that Marek is the one player on the team that seems to have that type of mindset that I covet and is the only one that will look to create scoring opportunities for others from inside the paint. PG Tyus of late seems to be that slasher type that you are interested in which is probably our highest ceiling option as long as Buddy and Hughes are knocking down a high percentage of the open looks that he's able to get for them.

you know, we complain about the lack of highly ranked recruits the last several years, but if we had another Lazarus Sims at PG and another Craig Forth at center (neither were exactly bigtime recruits), i would take that right now.
And you know that Laz could get a big steal!

What I don’t get is the surprise. (Although I actually do.)

At the beginning of the season Boeheim warned fans not to extrapolate using the hot streak in March as a baseline. He said we should look at the whole season.

He said that freshman rarely contribute meaningfully. He said that the other guys besides Battle were going to have to improve. But whether they would or not and how much was not known.

But, in spite of this sober assessment some among us, maybe even most, took off assuming the best and established high expectations.

Boeheim did say the team only played well for two weeks (the tournament). But here's what he said to Andy Katz in August and it certainly gave us grounds to be optimistic.

“The finish can be a little deceptive,’’ said Boeheim. “We weren’t great last year. We were really good in the tournament. We had young players who got better at the end. It wasn’t a fluke. We beat good teams. That team is returning. We’re not returning the team from the middle of the year…..We have really added good offensive players. We do expect to be a better team.’’

College basketball: Jim Boeheim optimistic about Syracuse prospects | NCAA.com

If the Orange are a better team they still exhibit the same up and down inconsistency...which may be a polite way of describing mediocrity. Capable of beating the top team in the country and capable of badly losing 6 games on our home court or NYC home away from home.

Mediocrity is never acceptable.
(Well, for Georgetown, maybe).
But not for the Syracuse Orange and their fans.

Boeheim did say the team only played well for two weeks (the tournament). But here's what he said to Andy Katz in August and it certainly gave us grounds to be optimistic.

“The finish can be a little deceptive,’’ said Boeheim. “We weren’t great last year. We were really good in the tournament. We had young players who got better at the end. It wasn’t a fluke. We beat good teams. That team is returning. We’re not returning the team from the middle of the year…..We have really added good offensive players. We do expect to be a better team.’’

College basketball: Jim Boeheim optimistic about Syracuse prospects | NCAA.com

If the Orange are a better team they still exhibit the same up and down inconsistency...which may be a polite way of describing mediocrity. Capable of beating the top team in the country and capable of badly losing 6 games on our home court or NYC home away from home.

Mediocrity is never acceptable.
(Well, for Georgetown, maybe).
But not for the Syracuse Orange and their fans.

I mean...it’s IS acceptable. Look at these threads. People are pumped about possibly being a 7 seed.

Many of the comments of people on here are so short term reactionary it is comical. After a win against Duke or a string of wins against weak competition, people seem to be on Cloud 9. When we lose like last night against Florida State, the sky is falling and we suck. As I have said in several posts, we know who we are now...a team capable of shooting the lights out, playing good D and beating almost anyone on any given night but also losing against inferior teams when we have an off night. Last night we played miserably in the first 10 minutes and Fl St. shot the lights out. We showed some guts coming back but ran out of gas. This is a slightly above average team in the ACC (half the teams just aren't good at all) and a Top 40 or so overall team. Unfortunately, that is not up to my standards and shouldn't be up to SU standards given our history...and it is very disappointing. With luck, we will reach 11 or so wins in the ACC, make the tournament and make a run because of our unconventional defense...and hopefully because of heart. That is all!

I was one of the few SU fans on this board who said prior to the season let's wait and see how the team plays before anointing them as a final 4 team. Last team selected to the tournament last year. Won 3 low-scoring very close games. Major deficiencies from last year still existed. No center who is an offensive threat. Dolezaj had a couple of good games in the tournament that has rarely occurred this year. Poor PG play. Lack of consistent 3-point shooting. The team should make the tournament assuming they don't fall apart after last night's debacle. But I agree with the majority in asking is that all we can hope for as SU fans? Make the big dance, maybe win 2 games, 3 if lucky? It all begins with recruiting and lately that area has sucked big time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom