Honest question... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Honest question...

(Not whining or criticizing):

Why did the coaching staff play Southerland (behind both Kris and Wes in the rotation) for 97 minutes in 2010? Did they think he might round into a contributor by February? Was there any consideration given to using a redshirt? (I know he was already one year removed from high school and would turn 20 toward the end of that first season.)

Imagine if this were the beginning of his fourth-year junior season. We'd be talking about a potential All-America guy coming back next year.

The problem was, he had just gone to prep school because of grades coming out of HS in NYC. So, to ask the kid to essentially delay his college career by another year was probably not something he wanted to do.

I'm sorry, but there's no such thing as a SF All-American who can't dribble. I'm a huge JS fan, but he has zero game when I comes to putting the ball on the deck.

That just suggests that you haven't been watching carefully. He's not Sherman Douglas, but he can get to the rim on the dribble.

Also, Sam Spann, meet Wesley Johnson.

I would like to see him have some bigger performances (ala NC State last year) and actually contribute more than a few rpg at times. The guy could probably touch the top of the Dome and yet he only averaged 3 rpg last season.

True, but that was in pretty limited minutes. 14 or 15 per game, I think.

The problem was, he had just gone to prep school because of grades coming out of HS in NYC. So, to ask the kid to essentially delay his college career by another year was probably not something he wanted to do.

That seems reasonable.

(Not whining or criticizing):

Why did the coaching staff play Southerland (behind both Kris and Wes in the rotation) for 97 minutes in 2010? Did they think he might round into a contributor by February? Was there any consideration given to using a redshirt? (I know he was already one year removed from high school and would turn 20 toward the end of that first season.)

Imagine if this were the beginning of his fourth-year junior season. We'd be talking about a potential All-America guy coming back next year.

I think it had to do with roles being unsettled that year. We lost a ton of starting, established talent in Flynn / Devo / Harris. I think that JB had a sense that we were going to be fine, but honestly Triche was a frosh, Scoop was coming off of an injury year, Kris hadn't done much his freshman year, and Wes was a transfer.

I think Boeheim knew what he had, as evidenced by his optimism that year. But I don't think that he expected Wes to explode like he did. Southerland may have done himself a disservice by going 5-5 from three point range [or whatever it was] in that exhibition game. I think he would have been a great redshirt candidate--oh well. JB isn't a big redshirt guy in general--not tons of examples of that throughout his tenure, although obviously I think it was a great move and the right move with Cooney last year.

That just suggests that you haven't been watching carefully. He's not Sherman Douglas, but he can get to the rim on the dribble.

Also, Sam Spann, meet Wesley Johnson.

Sure, against the Paces of the world he can. But not in BE play.

Sure, against the Paces of the world he can. But not in BE play.
Dribbling is dribbling and dribbling against smaller guys is harder than dribbling against taller guys.

Dribbling is dribbling and dribbling against smaller guys is harder than dribbling against taller guys.

Ummm...okay.

Here's a test. Watch the game Sunday, and count how many effective dribbles he takes. Not dribbling up court with no one around, but actually beating a defender or taking it to the basket.

I think Boeheim knew what he had, as evidenced by his optimism that year. But I don't think that he expected Wes to explode like he did. ... JB isn't a big redshirt guy in general--not tons of examples of that throughout his tenure, although obviously I think it was a great move and the right move with Cooney last year.

Nah -- JB knew what he had in Wes. Pre-season, he was talking about Wes as one of the best SFs in the country. Our own CTO was telling us, "wait til you see Wes".

Go with the simple explanation. JB rarely redshirts; and James already was 20 years old.

We are OK in the forward spots next year.

Ummm...okay.

Here's a test. Watch the game Sunday, and count how many effective dribbles he takes. Not dribbling up court with no one around, but actually beating a defender or taking it to the basket.

did you see the Bloomsberg game?

Y'know, I never had a lot of faith in his dribble before this preseason, but he has looked very good pushing the ball and looking ahead to dish as well. I know, small sample size and all, but I am encouraged. What seems odd is that he looks awkward dribbling it up when there is no one on him and he is just walking. Reminds me of watching old Mickey Rivers for the Yankees. Fast as hell in the field or on the basepaths, but when he was just walking, every step looked like it would be his last!

Ok, I can see I'm out of my league here. Should've known better than responding to a thread about Southerland's AA credentials.

Ok, I can see I'm out of my league here. Should've known better than responding to a thread about Southerland's AA credentials.

lol! you commented regarding the Pace so I just wanted to know if you saw the bloomsberg game...panties back on please

lol! you commented regarding the Pace so I just wanted to know if you saw the bloomsberg game...panties back on please

Yes, I saw both games that were played against DII opponents. I also saw the same handle he had the last 3 years. I know he drove once or twice...great. Like I said, let's see how he fares vs SDSU.

Yes, I saw both games that were played against DII opponents. I also saw the same handle he had the last 3 years. I know he drove once or twice...great. Like I said, let's see how he fares vs SDSU.
ok

Clealry his age. Either he contributes or he doesn't, certainly wouldn't want a 24 year old eating up a scholarship if he doesn't pan out. Also JB loves watching JS prance up court on fast breaks.

He does sort of "prance" dosn't he? Nice. Lol!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom