Honestly does anyone have any faith in tomm ending well? | Syracusefan.com

Honestly does anyone have any faith in tomm ending well?

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
I hate to be "that" guy, but the fact that we as a fanbase have to honestly worry about this situation is ridiculous. Does anyone honestly believe that if James issue took place at UNC, Duke, UK, Kansas, UCLA, Zona, Uconn, Florida etc this would still be an issue less one that the school review/judicial board was likely to rule against the player.

In just about every instance where a player has to appeal or go before a school board the player has pretty much lost, thats unheard of in top end Div 1 sports, Devendorf literally had to get an attorney and threaten to get a court ordered state injuction before a secondary appeal vacated the ridiculous first decision. I know this sounds like im a spoiled SU fan but were not talking about suspending the starting forward at St. Bonevanture or Hobart here were talking about a player that could be the difference between a final four / national championsip and an early tournament exit, were talking about one of the pre emminent programs (in some minds on of the blue bloods) in college basketball. Can you imagine a professor at Kentucky telling John Calipari sorry a paragraph was plagarized no Kidd-Gilchrist for the rest of this year. The fanbase would revolt, but at Syracuse we have to take a month to get an appeal hearing were most posters are allready saying doesnt look good. Its a shame and a joke.

I hate to be "that" guy, but the fact that we as a fanbase have to honestly worry about this situation is ridiculous. Does anyone honestly believe that if James issue took place at UNC, Duke, UK, Kansas, UCLA, Zona, Uconn, Florida etc this would still be an issue less one that the school review/judicial board was likely to rule against the player.

In just about every instance where a player has to appeal or go before a school board the player has pretty much lost, thats unheard of in top end Div 1 sports, Devendorf literally had to get an attorney and threaten to get a court ordered state injuction before a secondary appeal vacated the ridiculous first decision. I know this sounds like im a spoiled SU fan but were not talking about suspending the starting forward at St. Bonevanture or Hobart here were talking about a player that could be the difference between a final four / national championsip and an early tournament exit, were talking about one of the pre emminent programs (in some minds on of the blue bloods) in college basketball. Can you imagine a professor at Kentucky telling John Calipari sorry a paragraph was plagarized no Kidd-Gilchrist for the rest of this year. The fanbase would revolt, but at Syracuse we have to take a month to get an appeal hearing were most posters are allready saying doesnt look good. Its a shame and a joke.
I think james wins and I also think he sues if he doesn't. How's that?

I think james wins and I also think he sues if he doesn't. How's that?

Not sure he can sue over an academic issue, devendorf's case was a judicial hearing where he threatned to get an injuction. Not sure James has the ability to go that route.

Ditto. Believe that strongly.

He would have to get an injuction, simply suing isnt going to do anything, by the time the case was even heard Lax season would be wrapping up on Memorial day.

I'm sure the academic purists here will hate your post but I completely agree. Does this happen at other big time schools and I just haven't been paying attention? Why do I think if Fab Melo or James Southerland played at UNC or UK that this wouldnt be going on... Half these kids are 1 or 2 and done, the NCAA and the schools market the ish out of them. College basketball and football are glorified D-Leagues at this point so sorry if don't get all worked up about James and Fab's alleged transgressions.

He would have to get an injuction, simply suing isnt going to do anything, by the time the case was even heard Lax season would be wrapping up on Memorial day.

Disagree--I think it would expedite far more rapidly than that.

Hoping for good news tomorrow so we don't have to find out.

I'm sure the academic purists here will hate your post but I completely agree. Does this happen at other big time schools and I just haven't been paying attention? Why do I think if Fab Melo or James Southerland played at UNC or UK that this wouldnt be going on...

All I know is that we went 35+ years without ever losing a player to academic suspension, but we've had two such issues in the last two years. Something is off.

Disagree--I think it would expedite far more rapidly than that.

Hoping for good news tomorrow so we don't have to find out.

Agree with you about the good news that would really be the ultimate resolution, but based on our prior history and the rumors out there I think people are going to be dissapointed yet again.

I'm sure the academic purists here will hate your post but I completely agree. Does this happen at other big time schools and I just haven't been paying attention? Why do I think if Fab Melo or James Southerland played at UNC or UK that this wouldnt be going on... Half these kids are 1 or 2 and done, the NCAA and the schools market the ish out of them. Who cares if they go to class... college basketball and football are glorified D-Leagues at this point.

No you have been paying attention, it just doesnt happen, or if it does its some bench guy so far buried on the depth chart the team barely notices. I am not saying he shouldnt be going to class and at least trying but were talking about a paragraph in a paper (if thats all it is), not beating up the chess team, slapping the female Otto, or going to fake classes at UNC, the fact this is still an issue is absurd.

All I know is that we went 35+ years without ever losing a player to academic suspension, but we've had two such issues in the last two years. Something is off.

Damn, is that really true?

I do. If they followed protocol and have all of their ducks in order then he should come out ok.

I do. If they followed protocol and have all of their ducks in order then he should come out ok.

Prior history doesnt concern you at all? Billy E, Devendorf, Burgan etc etc, not sure just having all there ducks in a row is going to be enough.

Prior history doesnt concern you at all? Billy E, Devendorf, Burgan etc etc, not sure just having all there ducks in a row is going to be enough.

Not at all. This is specifically on James. Shouldnt matter. All three of those guys you mentioned were non academic so I dint know how it could matter.

That itself may say something.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

Agree with you about the good news that would really be the ultimate resolution, but based on our prior history and the rumors out there I think people are going to be dissapointed yet again.

I wouldn't put one bit of stock in any of the rumors. I was in Syracuse last week, and heard easily 25 different rumors about how the Southerland situation would turn out--including several that insisted alternatively that Southerland was done or that a deal had been cut already and that he was free and clear. No exaggeration--25 different variations of what the "truth" was and how everything would play out--all from sources allegedly close to the program. Personally, I don't think that anybody knows definitively and WON'T know until after tomorrow's hearing.

But I agree with Dash / Marsh--I think the ball bounces in our favor for once. This isn't the same as past issues that have gone before this type of board. If it were, I'd share your pessimism given the past history you mention.

Fingers crossed.

Not at all. This is specifically on James. Shouldnt matter. All three of those guys you mentioned were non academic so I dint know how it could matter.

Academic or not SU's history in front of any school related board is far from good, not trying to be debbie downer but history says this probably doesn't end well.

Academic or not SU's history in front of any school related board is far from good, not trying to be debbie downer but history says this probably doesn't end well.

Well it worked out OK for Devendorf if memory serves me correct. Burgan came back as well.

The fine mess happened. JB opened his big mouth. The NCAA was not too happy. And hence they start digging along with yahoo .

Well it worked out OK for Devendorf if memory serves me correct. Burgan came back as well.

Burgan missed half the year and Devendorf had to get an attorney and file for an injunction before someone at SU woke up.

What happens tomorrow is this: They rule in favor of James, they say that DaJuan is healthy enough to play and they order Fab back to school and grant him immediate eligibility so that he finish up his academic issue AND order Dion back just because they can.

I wouldn't put one bit of stock in any of the rumors. I was in Syracuse last week, and heard easily 25 different rumors about how the Southerland situation would turn out--including several that insisted alternatively that Southerland was done or that a deal had been cut already and that he was free and clear. No exaggeration--25 different variations of what the "truth" was and how everything would play out--all from sources allegedly close to the program. Personally, I don't think that anybody knows definitively and WON'T know until after tomorrow's hearing.

But I agree with Dash / Marsh--I think the ball bounces in our favor for once. This isn't the same as past issues that have gone before this type of board. If it were, I'd share your pessimism given the past history you mention.

Fingers crossed.

Lets hope your right, I certainly am rooting for a positive outcome.

If its truly over one paragraph I agree. Good lord, basketball is this kid's career. Why punish him over something this small? Its not like he was running a black market paper writing business. If this was a regular student, would the punishment be taking class sessions away? Some people just can't see that basketball is a career, and stopping him from playing would be like stopping an art student from going to drawing class.

Burgan missed half the year and Devendorf had to get an attorney and file for an injunction before someone at SU woke up.

My opinion is he has served a 6 game suspension. That will suffice.

The fine mess happened. JB opened his big mouth. The NCAA was not too happy. And hence they start digging along with yahoo .

Yup. I know that was a concern I expressed last year [and I certainly wasn't the only one on the board to express this viewpoint] was that the worst thing that could happen would be for the NCAA to take an interest and start digging based upon last year's absurdity. Not that we're a dirty program, but like any program there's muck under the rock better left undiscovered. When people start digging...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom