Honestly this team is fine | Syracusefan.com

Honestly this team is fine

Alsacs

Living Legend
We have a loss at home to Georgetown and won @Louisville. These games cancel each other out besides these games I am not shocked how this season has gone. If you haven't watched college basketball this year everyone STRUGGLES on the road.
Indiana has lost @Illinois, @Minnesota
Duke has lost @NC State, @Miami, @Maryland
Michigan has lost @Ohio State, @Indiana, @Michigan State, @Penn State
Florida has lost @Arkansas, @Missouri, @Tennessee
Michigan State has lost @Indiana, @Ohio State
Georgetown has lost @Marquette, @South Florida
Kansas has lost @Oklahoma, @TCU
Miami has lost @Wake Forest
Louisville has lost @Villanova, @Georgetown
Arizona has lost @Oregon, @Colorado, @USC
Syracuse has lost @Villanova, @UConn, @Pitt, @Marquette

Does anybody see a common thread? I mean EVERYBODY HAS struggled this year let's just finish the season enjoy our last BET and the NCAA Tournament is WIDE open for anybody this year. (except the UConn Huskies that is.)

I think everyone would feel better if we win Saturday.

I know we are struggling and have issues (especially on offense) but in watching every team in the top 30 multiple times this season every team has their issues. Thats what people are failing to realize. They just think that we have issues and we are screwed. Every team has flaws. Every team. We just need to find a way to win a couple of games before the BET, play well in NYC and then see where the chips fall in the NCAA's.

Other than the top 4 seeds in their opening round game against the 16 seeds, no team is guaranteed to advance. Hell last year 2 15's beat 2 of the 2 seeds. You telling me it cant happen again this year?

I still am comparing our season to Louisville last year. That team was not playing well at the end of the season. Siva was a mess and people were calling for his head on a platter. Well it then clicked for him and they rode that to a BET title and a FF bid. To say it cant click for MCW or Brandon is just silly. Right now is as bad as it gets for our guards and we still almost beat a ranked team on the road on Monday night.

It will improve.

It's not that SU lost. I get that there's a lot of parity this year in college hoops. It's how we looked in losing.

Logically Alsacs and Marsh01 are correct, I guess. And I hope they are right. But based on the last two games I have watched its very hard to see how this re-birth is going to occur.

It's not that SU lost. I get that there's a lot of parity this year in college hoops. It's how we looked in losing.

Logically Alsacs and Marsh01 are correct, I guess. And I hope they are right. But based on the last two games I have watched its very hard to see how this re-birth is going to occur.

Thats the thing, we didnt play that bad against Marquette. I mean we laid a complete egg at Uconn, a complete egg at Pitt and a massive egg against Gtown. Monday night we didnt. Yes certain players had poor games but I thought for the most part we played a decent game against a ranked team who rarely loses on their home floor. I mean we shot it 48% from the field which is above our season average.

We do need to play better absolutely but I am not throwing the tape away of the last game because it wasnt as bad as people are making it out to be.

I think everyone would feel better if we win Saturday.

I know we are struggling and have issues (especially on offense) but in watching every team in the top 30 multiple times this season every team has their issues. Thats what people are failing to realize. They just think that we have issues and we are screwed. Every team has flaws. Every team. We just need to find a way to win a couple of games before the BET, play well in NYC and then see where the chips fall in the NCAA's.

Other than the top 4 seeds in their opening round game against the 16 seeds, no team is guaranteed to advance. Hell last year 2 15's beat 2 of the 2 seeds. You telling me it cant happen again this year?

I still am comparing our season to Louisville last year. That team was not playing well at the end of the season. Siva was a mess and people were calling for his head on a platter. Well it then clicked for him and they rode that to a BET title and a FF bid. To say it cant click for MCW or Brandon is just silly. Right now is as bad as it gets for our guards and we still almost beat a ranked team on the road on Monday night.

It will improve.

I like the comparison to last year's louisville team.

They also have some inconsistent guards that determine how far they go, consider:

2011-12: FG% - 3PT% - FT%

Russ Smith: 356% - 306% - 764%
Peyton Siva: 402% - 246% - 739%

2012-13: FG% - 3PT% - FT%

MCW: 381% - 286% - 744%
Triche: 425% - 291% - 743%

Thats the thing, we didnt play that bad against Marquette. I mean we laid a complete egg at Uconn, a complete egg at Pitt and a massive egg against Gtown. Monday night we didnt. Yes certain players had poor games but I thought for the most part we played a decent game against a ranked team who rarely loses on their home floor. I mean we shot it 48% from the field which is above our season average.

We do need to play better absolutely but I am not throwing the tape away of the last game because it wasnt as bad as people are making it out to be.
I would agree with everything, including the fact that we didn't play bad at Marquette. What i think the issue is, and should be a teachable point, is some of the things we do:

1. When we are up 8-10 points. For some reason we decide to take lower percentage shots (deep 3 pointers vs. Gtown, early in shot clock vs. Marquette) when we get ahead. In both cases it led to runouts on the other end and a complete loss of momentum.

2. When the game is close with a few minutes to go. Nobody on this team needs to do it themselves. Our offense was playing fine working the ball around. Then back to back possessions MCW and BT tried to make something out of nothing. not necessary. We panic too easily.

To Marsh's point about Louisville last look at them heading into the NCAA Tournament. They were 10-8 in the Big East and went on a run based on their defense. They went over 65 points two times against DePaul in OT and against Marquette in the BET quarterfinals. If our defense carries us which it can we can overcome the lack of production from Triche/MCW we are getting. Here is the Louisville finish.
Mon, Feb 13
20-6 (8-5)
Sat, Feb 18
21-6 (9-5)
Thu, Feb 23
21-7 (9-6)
Sun, Feb 26
22-7 (10-6)
Wed, Feb 29
22-8 (10-7)
Sat, Mar 3
22-9 (10-8)
Wed, Mar 7
23-9 (10-8)
Thu, Mar 8
24-9 (10-8)
Fri, Mar 9
25-9 (10-8)
Sat, Mar 10
26-9 (10-8)

While I agree SU is ok and the world is not ending the 2 things concern me the most are how inconsistent Rak and Triche are. If those were able to bring it every night there is no reason SU can't make it to Atlanta

While I agree SU is ok and the world is not ending the 2 things concern me the most are how inconsistent Rak and Triche are. If those were able to bring it every night there is no reason SU can't make it to Atlanta

Triche I am not worried about because he has bounced back continually during his career here. Just when people are ready to throw dirt on hm he has a game where he carries us. I wish he were more consistent but he has shown to bounce back.

Rak - eh...

I agree with the main point that we're ok, everyone takes losses like this, but obviously it doesn't mean that we're going to make a run to the final four (and I'm not saying anyone is saying that), but Louisville could've easily lost in round 2 to New Mexico (won by 3).

I guess put another way; if there are 25 teams that could make the final four (which is the kind of number I've heard bandied about, could even be higher), then that m eans at least 9 of them would lose by the second round.

Triche I am not worried about because he has bounced back continually during his career here. Just when people are ready to throw dirt on hm he has a game where he carries us. I wish he were more consistent but he has shown to bounce back.
The very definition of inconsistancy, which is what is so frustrating. When he's good, we're great. Rooting for Brandon to finally get it together in the autumn of his career...

I would agree with everything, including the fact that we didn't play bad at Marquette. What i think the issue is, and should be a teachable point, is some of the things we do:

1. When we are up 8-10 points. For some reason we decide to take lower percentage shots (deep 3 pointers vs. Gtown, early in shot clock vs. Marquette) when we get ahead. In both cases it led to runouts on the other end and a complete loss of momentum.

2. When the game is close with a few minutes to go. Nobody on this team needs to do it themselves. Our offense was playing fine working the ball around. Then back to back possessions MCW and BT tried to make something out of nothing. not necessary. We panic too easily.

I think the ball needs to go to CJ down the stretch. He is more consistent and a good free throw shooter.

Need to beat Depaul and either Lville or G-town at least, and win two at MSG. That should get us a 3 seed which will be much better than a 4 or 5.

For sure but that's part of the problem. We aren't that good and are pretty flawed so when we play pretty well we can be beaten even by a Marquette who really exploited us. It's probably all about matchups moving forward and how well we prepare an offensive/defensive gameplan. Like you and many have stated anything can happen in the Tourney. Wouldn't be surprised if we're bounced 1st round or get to the Sweet 16.

Need to beat Depaul and either Lville or G-town at least, and win two at MSG. That should get us a 3 seed which will be much better than a 4 or 5.

Yeah, that's a must for a 3. Anything less is a 4. 1-3 from here on and we're a 5 and that would be really bad news. I agree CJ needs it more and MCW needs to be an aggressive CREATOR. He needs to attack a defense with a purpose and be decisive. Not just chuck and pound the rock into floor in one place.

We have a loss at home to Georgetown and won @Louisville. These games cancel each other out besides these games I am not shocked how this season has gone. If you haven't watched college basketball this year everyone STRUGGLES on the road.
Indiana has lost @Illinois, @Minnesota
Duke has lost @NC State, @Miami, @Maryland
Michigan has lost @Ohio State, @Indiana, @Michigan State, @Penn State
Florida has lost @Arkansas, @Missouri, @Tennessee
Michigan State has lost @Indiana, @Ohio State
Georgetown has lost @Marquette, @South Florida
Kansas has lost @Oklahoma, @TCU
Miami has lost @Wake Forest
Louisville has lost @Villanova, @Georgetown
Arizona has lost @Oregon, @Colorado, @USC
Syracuse has lost @Villanova, @UConn, @Pitt, @Marquette

Does anybody see a common thread? I mean EVERYBODY HAS struggled this year let's just finish the season enjoy our last BET and the NCAA Tournament is WIDE open for anybody this year. (except the UConn Huskies that is.)

Whoaaa...Calm down there, are you using facts??? Are you trying to break SyracuseFan.com??

;)

Before the season began many felt the team would be where they are or maybe have a couple more losses. We drank the Kool-aid as they compiled a great record. Considering the talent that left, the team is doing well- maybe just not to our hopes. It's true that almost any team can win it this year but I doubt SU can win 6 straight- more like two of three- hope I'm wrong.

I agree with you. It's how we have looked. And it's been going on a lot longer than the last two games. Much stranger things have happened but I don't like the trend.

I think the Marquette loss was worse , actually.

If you are going to lose a game, it might as well be when you are firing on no cylinders (G-Town game)... all-around stinker...

The marquette game... played well enough most of the game to win and were setup with a textbook heel-on-throat surf with the lead to win the game in the final minutes...

Instead, we laid down like pansies in the in the final 8 minutes, were outhustled, fouled incessantly because we didn't match marquette's effort and were basically deer-in-the-headlights when they finished their 2-21 scoring run for the win.

We gave the Marquette game away.

I think Rak has been consistent. ;)

If you are going to lose a game, it might as well be when you are firing on no cylinders (G-Town game)... all-around stinker...

The marquette game... played well enough most of the game to win and were setup with a textbook heel-on-throat surf with the lead to win the game in the final minutes...

Instead, we laid down like pansies in the in the final 8 minutes, were outhustled, fouled incessantly because we didn't match marquette's effort and were basically deer-in-the-headlights when they finished their 2-21 scoring run for the win.

I disagree. We bounced back from a humiliating loss and had to play a tough team on the road where they win all the time. Yes we didnt win but I look at is as a step in the right direction.

The gtown game was so disappointing because aside from just absolute awful play I think they let the emotions of the game get the better of them. I thought we looked much more focused and ready to play Monday night. Just too many fouls and too many freebie points at the line for them that was the difference.

The marquette game... played well enough most of the game and was a textbook heel-on-throat surf to the win game...

Marquette definitely outplayed us from the stretch we were up 7 till the end of the game, but give some credit to the Golden Eagles. We made some mistakes, but the crowd brought that team energy and they raised their game. I am upset with the individual play it seemed like we had on offense, and the fact Marquette was playing volleyball on the offensive boards and fat boy was getting away with fouls. We didn't lay down like pansies instead Marquette raised their game and we never ONCE posted up Fair or gave him the ball instead MCW and Triche just gobbled up the shot clock and ended putting up shots. I honestly thought we were going to get housed on Monday night with Marquette having a 22 home game winning streak, short rest from Saturday, natural letdown from Saturday's emotional game and the fact we didn't made me feel good. Remember we lost to Nova because of foul trouble and we had no Southerland, we lost to Pitt because they own us recently, we lost to UConn because they wanted the game and we didn't, I wasn't confident going into the Marquette game but the first 30 minutes made me feel good. Basically this team struggles on the road because we fail to realize C.J. Fair is our go to scorer and MCW/Triche just dribble the shot clock away and if they don't hit(which they have struggled with at Nova, Pitt, UConn, Marquette catch the drift) we lose.

This is going to be a great year for March Madness. It is wide open and i would say there are a solid 25 teams that have a shot. It simply depends on the draw and how we play. If we make shots we can play with anyone if we are cold we can beat by just about anyone. Pretty simple

Just too many fouls and too many freebie points at the line for them that was the difference.

Why were there too many fouls and freebie points?

We got outhustled for loose balls, were a step late consistently defending which put them on the stripe repeatedly and Chunk showed our bigs that girth can outdo length...

We scored 2 points... they scored 21 in the final 6 minutes.

Instead of us putting heel on the throat up 7, they punched us in the mouth and we were in complete disarray within 2 minutes.

It is what it is... isn't the first time a Boeheim team struggled to close a game out with the lead... just the most prolific flop in recent memory.

i think to make a good run mcw has to watch jason kidds game. kidd is a distributor and is a terrible shooter. mcw is not the passer that kidd is but i think has a somewhat similar game. i would also like to see our 6'4" guards post up smaller guards. imagine that. we drag out the other teams bigs with cj and james on the perimeter and let mcw and brandon go to work to use our height advantage. cj is shooting 42% from three. james is 39%. a tad better than the 29% from the two guards (cooney is worse at 28%). would love to see more inverted high-low ball movement. or with zone make it a priority to get the guards in the lane with cj or james as outlets from outside. maybe brandon and mcw do not have games like that. god i miss billy edelin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom